Wicks fragrancing

I read somewhere on the internet a while ago that some companies soak their wicks in the fragrances, then add them to their candles.  I have never tried this, but can't see this being very safe.  Has anyone ever tried or do you do this, with any success?

I haven't tried this but would think it would be a waste of effort and fragrance. If I can't get a scent to throw, soaking the wick isn't going to help, and since most of my wicks come pre-primed, it would take more effort to melt the wax off, soak the wick, then make the candle. Just not worth it. There are better ways to make a candle throw scent without resorting to these types of gimmicks. IMO

Guest OldGlory
1 hour ago, Natasha2106 said:

I read somewhere on the internet a while ago that some companies soak their wicks in the fragrances, then add them to their candles.  I have never tried this, but can't see this being very safe.  Has anyone ever tried or do you do this, with any success?

I'm curious - why do they soak the wick in fragrances?

I

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

I haven't tried this but would think it would be a waste of effort and fragrance. If I can't get a scent to throw, soaking the wick isn't going to help, and since most of my wicks come pre-primed, it would take more effort to melt the wax off, soak the wick, then make the candle. Just not worth it. There are better ways to make a candle throw scent without resorting to these types of gimmicks. IMO

5 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

I'm curious - why do they soak the wick in fragrances?

No I haven't tried this, but was just curious whether anybody actually did this.  It was probably another one of those internet sites with little / no idea of how to make candles.  There is some really rubbish info out there.  

I think they were soaking the wicks to aid scent throw.

Somewhere, out there, in the deep bowels of the internet I have seen this mentioned.  I can't remember where, but I vaguely remember a tutorial or something on making beeswax sheet candles where you take the beeswax sheet and basically roll it up around a wick and presto! candle!  I think they soaked the wick, which was a raw, unprimed wick in fragrance or even essential oil, then wrapped up the beeswax sheet.  All I can remember thinking was "I wonder how much soot that would throw"

For as "easy" as candles are to make, they are also quite difficult and it takes an understanding of all parts to make them well and safe. 

Brings a few quotes to mind...

"The whole is never better than the quality of the weakest part"

"The simpler something is, the more the reason to do it right" (that one is Alton Brown...no idea as the other)

We tested this years ago and it did....NOTHING. It did create soot, it did create an initial massive flame but other than that, nothing. There is absolutely no reason to do this. You actually don't even need to prime a wick for it to burn. Scent comes from the melted wax, not the wick, so this would be nothing more than a messy waste of time, energy and resources.

• Like 1

On August 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Natasha2106 said:

I won't be trialling this then.  Can't believe how much rubbish is out there on the internet.  

9 hours ago, Scented said:

Oh well just wait. There's plenty more to be found ;)

Hahahahahahahhaa five minutes on YouTube and Pinterest prove that!

• Like 3