Grrr - Gremlins came to visit me - bleh

Jcandleattic

So without giving too much away because this happened with my SOTM soap, basically the soap gremlins came out to play with me. LOL My soap thickened up super fast, (this soap rarely does that) the colors came out all wrong (but workable I guess) and something I wanted to do, I couldn't because the soap got so thick and wouldn't MOVE, so I had to scrap that part of the soap. Well, when all said and done, I decided to make that soap just an ordinary everyday soap - still good, just not what I wanted for the tutorial. 

Well, the remake went much much better, with the exception that I forgot ONE thing. LOL Not an ingredient that would mess up the soap, just a little something extra. When I post the tut, I'll let you know what I missed. I think it is fine without the missing piece, but it would have tied it together a bit better. LOL 

Anyway, suspenseful enough for you? LOL 

With the redo, I also have to reword and rewrite the whole thing. Bleh!! 

Oh well, I did end up getting 2 loaves of soap made this weekend which I wasn't expecting to do. August is always so busy for me, these are the first soaps I've made in about 3 weeks to a month. 

• Like 2

My last few batches I had the gremlins too.  Maybe gremlins don't like summer LOL.  My one soap seized up so bad, granted it was

Wild Hyacinth from Mad Oils....my husband requested it btw....not me LOL....I've never had a soap 

seize like this....but I was able to get it molded....it's just butt ugly.  I soaped cool too.  

My other batch, Sun & Sand from WSP got so darn thick I plopped it in the mold with spoons and spatulas.....It was so thick...that when I was washing my stuff...I noticed my small spatula was broken on the rubber end.  I thought....OMG....that rubber is in that loaf!  It sure was.  When I cut it...I found it.  That bar is now in my shower LOL.

However, this one came out GREAT color wise.  Not what I was

going for design wise....but it looks cool all the same.  I will post some pics of them both once I get them off my phone.

• Like 2

13988196_1138927159498072_3169473221393763222_o.jpg

The Sun & Sand....so thick you can see the top is a total mess and I over estimated this mold so had to pile it on.

But it came out pretty cool looking.

13892380_1138927312831390_191878363874671540_n.jpg

The Wild Hyacinth however....is a butt ugly disaster

13754329_1128621690528619_3715174562688367933_n.jpg

13708369_1128621933861928_637751177268508537_o.jpg

• Like 5

WOW. Were those both CP? On the hyacinth one, were you using an EO blend or was it an FO and by any chance was there any lavender in there? What happened? Did it just break on you at the last second? So many questions... FWIW: You did a FANTASTIC save on them both! 

Frigg'n gremlins...  

I had issues with my July Comfrey & Nettle tutorial as well!!  It was my hurry back up idea when my first idea flopped.  The soap didn't fail, it just didn't look like I had in my head.  I did a quick turn around and came up with the herb infusion for contrast in the recipe.  It photographed SO much better than the first recipe.

I remember back when I was baking for a living...something that you did every day without thinking...well, now it's time to make it for family or a party or something and nothing would go right.  Plays havoc with your head, making you doubt yourself and stuff.

Looking forward to the tutorial!! :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chefmom said:

I had issues with my July Comfrey & Nettle tutorial as well!!  It was my hurry back up idea when my first idea flopped.  The soap didn't fail, it just didn't look like I had in my head.  I did a quick turn around and came up with the herb infusion for contrast in the recipe.  It photographed SO much better than the first recipe.

I remember back when I was baking for a living...something that you did every day without thinking...well, now it's time to make it for family or a party or something and nothing would go right.  Plays havoc with your head, making you doubt yourself and stuff.

Looking forward to the tutorial!! :)

Yes, I think that's it. We put too much pressure on ourselves when we are actually trying to do something for someone else that we do everyday without fail. 

I will get it all put together tonight and then let Vicky know it's ready. I like the way the second one turned out after the cut. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

Oh, Y'all! I am soaping today, this makes me nervous! Did you try putting out brownies for the Gremlins?

I sang them a song. That probably scared them off enough for me to get the second batch done. LMAO

Good luck Maya! We want pics! :D