Any favorite suppliers for shea butter . Ive purchased refined from BB - nice but just ok. Once i bought a small 1lb jar to test from Mountain Rose herbs ( unrefined certified organic) 

I was so surprised - it stunk to high heaven and was grainy - real grainy + EXPENSIVE ! What about kokum has anyone used that one - sounds interesting but pricey :(

I love it in body butter + lotion bars :)

29 minutes ago, Gsmakinsoap said:

I've ordered from New Directions Aromatics and been happy with it. It is a great price. So is their kokum butter.

Thanks for chiming in :) I actually have things in my cart from New Directions - fruit powder extracts + clays + seaweed powder/ Do you get refined or unrefined ?

Their carrier oils are such a great price to . Thanks again :) 

Either soapers choice or essential depot.

BTW-- the really stinky, grainy shea is unrefined. It has a distinct odor and texture some don't like. But there are different grades like refined and deordorized that you can purchase. Of course, the unrefined has all its nutrient content intact and some prefer that over refined and deordorized

SC and ED's are a pale yellow with a slight odor with a super sticky texture but not grainy. That's the way I like it best. I don't care for raw shea butter as I find the odor hard to deal with. However, in soapmaking the odor doesn't come through the final product.

• Like 1