Candle Science giving them more biz

On July 14, 2016 at 0:48 PM, Candybee said:

Peak closed their warehouse in Colorado this past year due to the state's marijuana industry. They couldn't compete so they closed it down. They do have a new distribution warehouse outside Harrisburg, PA so they are on the East coast now. Which is great news for me. They are smack dab in the center of the area with all the other PA suppliers I use so it's been really a blessing for me. So now I am starting to use them again since they are so close.

Ok this is a dumb question on my part but how does the marijuana industry affect other business. My nephew moved to Denver in the past year + was telling

me that the housing market is outrageously expensive. Many CA residents have moved there + the prices are through the roof now. He said that for every Starbucks

theres 5 smoke shops... not sure what they're called lol ! My sister in law said when she visits them  you can smell it BIGTIME when you pass by the processing plant

I'm calling it that because i don't know what its actually called lol ! she said its like a cheech + chong movie LOL ! 

50 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Ok this is a dumb question on my part but how does the marijuana industry affect other business. My nephew moved to Denver in the past year + was telling

me that the housing market is outrageously expensive. Many CA residents have moved there + the prices are through the roof now. He said that for every Starbucks

theres 5 smoke shops... not sure what they're called lol ! My sister in law said when she visits them  you can smell it BIGTIME when you pass by the processing plant

I'm calling it that because i don't know what its actually called lol ! she said its like a cheech + chong movie LOL ! 

This thread explains it all: 

On 7/21/2016 at 0:26 PM, wthomas57 said:

not to shift gears from the topic too much, but you mentioned new wicks you sue for your tealights. Mind sharing which wick you use for them?

I posted some photos showing my frustration with some wicks.  HTP-52 burns very nice, just shorter than I would like in the 6006 wax.  I loved the TL-15 because it would burn all evening and was a perfect little flame for my tealight oil warmer, and TL-18 was perfect for everything but deeper colors.  I have discovered for burning tealights outside and much larger wick is needed, and the TL-25 work well for that.  Candle Science was a one stop for me long ago, just not so much anymore.

On 7/23/2016 at 7:36 AM, justajesuschick said:

This thread explains it all: 

Thank you Karen, and yep, that explains it all. 

On 7/23/2016 at 6:44 AM, Moonstar said:

The shops are either Medical Marijuana facilities, or Recreational Marijuana, or a combination of both. All have unique and interesting names for their business, 

The processing plants are called Grow Houses or Grow shops, but it's basically a hydroponic warehouse guarded as if they are Fort Knox. Not kidding, I drove by one trying to find an imaging storage warehouse and about 3 of the warehouses in that area had armed guards by all the entrances. It was a little scary. 

I meant to add, that every business can affect other businesses, and it's basically that the warehouses know they can get that much money from the growers, so anyone else has a hard time affording that type of rent, unless their business is as lucrative as a marijuana business, which is hard to do since it's a multi-million dollar industry.

Edited by Jcandleattic
Added information

Yes. It all comes down to money. If a business was renting a warehouse for say $10,000 a month (just to pick a number) for years and now that same warehouse can be rented for double each month to GROW the product, then the owner has to seize the moment while they can, I suppose. EVEN if the former renter was loyal and reliable.

There was only 1 state separating me from Peak in Colorado so I was spoiled. Shipping was less costly and fast!

Now, sadly, CS is less expensive for me than Peak on cases of wax. I love Peak.

I still use far more oils from Peak than CS (I always thought of CS as focusing more on soy wax application). Now I buy 6-8 pounds of each oil from Peak when I order rather than the 1-2 pounds of each I used to order.

They are renting/leasing for at least 4x what they were 3 years ago. So take that $10K and all of a sudden it's now $40K ... 

So yeah, good for the owner, bad for the leaser. 

I'm still so very sad, that I have to ship my wax. Even if it was only $10 to ship, it'd still be more expensive that I was used to paying (which was Free since it took me less than 5 minutes to drive there from my work - they were literally a block away!!) So, once I get my my ducks in a row and now exactly how much I need instead of getting a case here and there, I'll be getting 5-10 cases of each wax I use. Hopefully that will cut down on overall shipping. We'll see. 

This type of research and financing is the part of business I hate... 

Yes. I switched first to 2 case of each wax I use. 

I am going to try a local supplier once again and see if my experience is better. Just a case of each, though until I know.

I recently spent over $120 in shipping alone on wax. Cuts deeply into the bottom line!

• Like 1

I can drive out to pick up my wax and supplies from Peaks & Fillmore so I save on shipping. Its an 8 hr drive round trip but since gas is pretty cheap now it saves me a lot on shipping. I just plan to take the whole day to do a supply run.

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

I can drive out to pick up my wax and supplies from Peaks & Fillmore so I save on shipping. Its an 8 hr drive round trip but since gas is pretty cheap now it saves me a lot on shipping. I just plan to take the whole day to do a supply run.

I'm so jealous of you right now.... no one really close enought to me. And that's a bummer considering I am in the midwest. :/

• 4 weeks later...

Cs is a great supplier! I will agree that their wick selection is lacking and the shipping can get really pricey. Mac apple, grapefruit mangosteen and a bunch of other scents they provide are awesome! They carry a few waxes that I use as well as jars. If they only carried my wicks and a couple other things then I wouldn't have to bounce from supplier to supplier. Aztec is another supplier that carries great scents and wicks. All in all cs is a must for me.