Glass container wick and burn safety

Hello  everyone,

I want to add another degree of safety among my candles involving glass containers. I have seen these bars on the inside near the bottom of candle containers but do not know what they are called. I believe that they are used to prevent the wick from burning any lower than say a quarter inch. Does anyone know what these are called and where to find them? Can you also use them with any wick?

Im not sure of any bars... but a simple wick stickum or something on the bottom of your wick tab elevates the wick a tad and will help from burning the candle all the way down to the class. Also... this is really the responsibility of the customer burning the candle. That is why on warning labels, it should be mentioned to stop burning when 1/4" or 1/2" remains.

With that being said, if you find out what you are referring to, share with us. Now I am a bit curious. ha

Edited by wthomas57

How about longer neck wick tabs? 

add another degree of protection with the high temp silicone sealant to secure it.

i know what you mean about wanting to protect people from themselves. So many people think that any wax at the bottom of a candle is a waste without understanding the candle safety reasons behind it.

• Like 1

TallTayl,

You read my mind! I never underestimate the stupidity of some people lol. I already had a customer lick my cinnabuns melts just to see if it tasted like them lol. Anyways, I was sitting around watching one of my testers last night, as it was burning closer to the bottom, I remembered seeing this safety bar in a candle. I was walking through a shop a couple months ago and saw the bar. I am not sure if it's just a bigger wick tab or something else. I can't find a photo anywhere. Lemme check out longer neck wick tabs to see if that was it.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I also had a customer report to me that she licked an Almond Biscotti candle. She thought it would taste as good as it smelled and learned differently. OMG.

I agree with TT - just use a long neck wick tab.

I can't believe someone would lick a candle, tart, or soap! Ick!!!

I'm with TT and OG-- use a wick tab with a taller neck if you are concerned about safety. But also keep in mind that a tall neck is gonna leave about 1/2 inch or more of wax at the bottom of the jar and you may lose some customers. Neck sizes have been standardized in the industry and the standard size for jar candles already has the neck length size that will extinguish  the wick before it burns too close to the bottom of the jar.

I tried it myself once. I made candles with a taller neck on the wick tab and started having complaints right away. When I started losing wholesale accounts that's when I decided to go back to the standard size neck wick tab. Just saying the extra safety isn't really necessary and you could end up paying for it. So just make sure that is what you really want to do.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the input. Candybee I never thought of it that way hmmm decisions. I know ultimately it's the customers responsibility but....Just knowing that people lick candle wax and does God knows what else with it, kind of leans me to the side of safety hahaha. 

• Like 1