Suppliers in the midwest - closest to MO

• 2 weeks later...

You may also consider signing up for your own FedEx shipping account.  Not only are they cheaper than UPS, they are also faster and they tend to give you a "permanent" discount off of their main published rates, which also helps.  I've not really had any suppliers squawk at using my own account except Peak since they do so much volume with UPS, its difficult for them to switch over and use UPS.

Might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the info.

I actually do have my own fed ex account but never use it. I haven't had the same experience with them being cheaper or quicker. They were always more expensive for me. Plus I always had such a hard time getting help and support with how to use them.

USPS pretty straight forward. But don't use UPS.

Should you ever wish to give them a try again, let me know.  I'd be happy to help.  I use them generally for my heavy, long distance shipments and USPS for my lightweight, semi-local shipments.

• 2 weeks later...

KC Mo eh? You have a wax dealer somewhere around there and Morris Wax carries FOs. They are great with their waxes and helping a person out. There is a lye supplier somewhere around KC too. Now that one I wish I could remember the name, but can't. As for Morris, can't answer about their FOs, but can tell you almost everything to Missouri should be faster than to Kansas. It's about 3 days shipping from Colorado to Kansas, five from Dallas to here and somehow Ohio and Pennsylvania and South Carolina and anywhere else gets here in 3 days except from the west coast ... that takes about a week for whatever reason. 

We buy our wax from Gateway Foods in Dupo, IL, just on the other side of St. Louis. Might be a bit of a drive for you, but maybe their shipping to you wouldn't be that bad? They do have great prices on soy wax!

Thanks Candy,

I actually checked them out once and the issue is they are limited on availability and products. I am trying to find a supplier or suppliers that are relatively close that carry a lot or most of the materials I use. But Ill keep them on my radar. Thank you!

Morris Wax has a warehouse in Kansas City. Swear to it, because we drive to pick up there. They also carry fragrances, but I cannot say anything about those fragrances, because I haven't tried them. 

I'm hoping that they'll be the ones who will carry 50 lb bags of stearic since Peak's warehouse isn't in Colorado any more. 

If you soap, there is a supplier there who sells the lye. I would have to get that name though, because I don't have it off the top of my head. 

I bought from Morris in Kansas City once a couple of years ago. I never bought again. I drove up to a trailer and showed my receipt. Guess I was expecting "warehouse". I followed (in my car) a very nice guy back to a NON-climate controlled storage unit. He rolled up the garage style door and put the cases of wax in my car for me which was very nice. Once home I could see that one of my cases was off color and the texture was odd. I threw away most of it. I presume it was not a popular wax and well, stored a super hot storage unit. 

Scented-Is the set up different now? I'd love to not pay $200 in shipping fees on cases of wax if your experience was different!

1 hour ago, justajesuschick said:

I bought from Morris in Kansas City once a couple of years ago. I never bought again. I drove up to a trailer and showed my receipt. Guess I was expecting "warehouse". I followed (in my car) a very nice guy back to a NON-climate controlled storage unit. He rolled up the garage style door and put the cases of wax in my car for me which was very nice. Once home I could see that one of my cases was off color and the texture was odd. I threw away most of it. I presume it was not a popular wax and well, stored a super hot storage unit. 

Scented-Is the set up different now? I'd love to not pay $200 in shipping fees on cases of wax if your experience was different!

this sounds bad... lol. Ill pass

Hey now slow it down here, because Morris is reputable. We've gotten our wax there for years. It's sent from Illinois to there and we pick up. my partner picks it up. We've not had any trouble for three years. They are on the Fairfax side on the KC, KS side and not in Mo. any more. They have a bigger storage facility. My partner picks up and says he thinks it's climate controlled, so Just ... not sure what to tell you. You guys can always go by, I guess. Sorry my partner isn't terribly helpful. He works in the KC area so he picks our stuff up there. 

7 minutes ago, Scented said:

Hey now slow it down here, because Morris is reputable. We've gotten our wax there for years. It's sent from Illinois to there and we pick up. my partner picks it up. We've not had any trouble for three years. They are on the Fairfax side on the KC, KS side and not in Mo. any more. They have a bigger storage facility. My partner picks up and says he thinks it's climate controlled, so Just ... not sure what to tell you. You guys can always go by, I guess. Sorry my partner isn't terribly helpful. He works in the KC area so he picks our stuff up there. 

Certainly not implying they are not reputable. Certainly was surprised by my experience.

Guess I will have to go by and see for myself or start by calling the gentleman who mans the place here. When I ordered online, I had to call and call to get someone to answer here after placing my order because he ran things alone. Then I had to make arrangements with him when I could come by. Once I did, the address was a trailer sitting out in an industrial park. The storage unit was just like one you would store personal items in when moving. Perhaps I had a one-off experience.

When I called today, I called the main location in Illinois and the woman I spoke with said it was not climate controlled. 

I'll see if I can get a number locally and speak with someone here.

Sure hope they have moved and it is a different set up. It would save me a TON. 

4 hours ago, justajesuschick said:

Certainly not implying they are not reputable. Certainly was surprised by my experience.

Guess I will have to go by and see for myself or start by calling the gentleman who mans the place here. When I ordered online, I had to call and call to get someone to answer here after placing my order because he ran things alone. Then I had to make arrangements with him when I could come by. Once I did, the address was a trailer sitting out in an industrial park. The storage unit was just like one you would store personal items in when moving. Perhaps I had a one-off experience.

When I called today, I called the main location in Illinois and the woman I spoke with said it was not climate controlled. 

I'll see if I can get a number locally and speak with someone here.

Sure hope they have moved and it is a different set up. It would save me a TON. 

I certainly understand! So I hope things have changed. It's convenient for us to get from this place and perhaps I need to be making the trip the next time. I'm sorry ... my partner is a former farmer who probably thinks today's nice wave of 100 degree humidity is air conditioning. So as not to confuse you, this is Scented. Not trying to be confusing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2016 at 11:53 PM, WaxOnWaxOff said:

I certainly understand! So I hope things have changed. It's convenient for us to get from this place and perhaps I need to be making the trip the next time. I'm sorry ... my partner is a former farmer who probably thinks today's nice wave of 100 degree humidity is air conditioning. So as not to confuse you, this is Scented. Not trying to be confusing. 

I called and spoke with the same lady with Morris in Illinois who told me previously that the Kansas City facility is not climate controlled. I told her that I could not find a number for the Kansas City facility on the website. She said it is not on the website. I asked for the KC number. She said I did not need it, I will place my order with her. I told her I had a question I wanted to ask directly. She gave me a number for a gentleman. I called the number and someone else answered his phone. He said he did not know if where the wax was stored was climate controlled. I asked who would and he said “the owner” and gave me that number.

I called and things have changed. The trailer is gone and they operate out of the building which was behind the trailer. The warehouse is not climate controlled however, Nestle has the warehouse next to them and it is for their frozen foods so it works to keep their warehouse in the 80’s.

He said they have learned not to ship from Illinois other than M-W as the wax was getting too hot on trailers over the weekends. He wonders if I got wax from a closed warehouse whose inventory they absorbed.

So. I am one who does my own thing and needs to see things for myself. I am going to place an order for just 1 case of each of my waxes and see how the process is and how comfortable I feel with things. I REALLY hope it is a better experience for me and that the product seems sound. I have been using the same 2 waxes for 4 years so am very familiar when anything is different with them. They do change. Drier, more viscous, etc.  It would save me so much money to go and pick them up. I REALLY, REALLY hope this works out.

I will follow up with my results!

Good luck. I may try them out soon as well. Not sure what all waxes they have yet though.

I know you stick to melts... so assuming you are in the semi-soft or pillar types? But you may also use mlutiple kinds for your own blends.

Ill have to check them out.

Karen, 

I hope it works out for you!! Really do! 

I know I'll keep using them, because they are like right there for my partner to pick up and we get a few cases at a time. We've not had an issue with any of them coming back melted. 

I do, though, have an issue with the 1343 I'm using, because it just seems to be getting dryer I guess is how I would say it, yet it still has its flexibility. This isn't going to be on them. I think it would be on IGI and they'll blame on it someone else. I've got to remember this when we call in our next order, which is about two months or less away if everything goes according to plan ... egads! If that ever happened, I'd be happy. 

I think we're going to try to see if they'll start carrying the 50 lb bags of steric too. 

Edited by Scented

• 1 month later...

Here is my update!

Shortly after my post I ordered 1 case of each of my 2 waxes and went to pick them up.

The photo shows where I picked them up! No problem, just not what I expected. There is a story why they also distribute candle wax. My husband and I work for the same large corporation and I was not certain if I would have to load the wax up for myself so took him along. He is a car and cycle guy so he was happy!

Their overhead door storage unit/warehouse was in a larger building next to this smaller building.

They were kind enough to have my wax waiting in the cycle shop each time but I do have to go at a set time each pick up.

One of my waxes showed a manufacture date of 1 year ago but all was fine with both waxes. One of my waxes has changed consistency some in the last year so frankly, what I got was the wax how I prefer it. 

This week I ordered 2 more cases of each and I picked them up today over lunch. 

So, it is no typical candle supplier warehouse as I would have expected or have seen but I certainly enjoy saving on shipping and appreciate the information which motivated me to give them another try.

Thanks!

IMG_20160921_123745608_HDR.jpg

I thought you may have further questions. HAHA!!!!

Here is a link to their website so you can see if they have your waxes: https://www.dpswax.com/products/store

The cycle shop is climate controlled.

The warehouse/storage unit is not climate controlled but is surrounded by frozen food company's storage so theirs stays in the 80's, they tell me.

The owner of the bike shop's dad had the wax distributor business and the son decided to keep it.

When I arrive, my wax cases are sitting near the door and the rest of the store and shop is all motorcycles and associated parts!

CERTAINLY nothing like any of the wax supplier's warehouse pics and videos I have seen. VERY unconventional. That said, I appreciate having saved over $150 in shipping!

• Like 1