Wax melt separating?

ThisLittleLightOfMine

Hey guys... some of my wax melts have separated at the repour line from what I can tell. I didn't notice until I got to one of my older 6 cavity wax melt testers. When I went to bend it backward to break the cubes apart the whole top came off which looks like the amount I repour. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions to how to stop this from happening?

• Like 1

I don't repour mine to help with that, but if you overfill it's very common for it to pull away when you break out a cube or two.

Sometimes I get a slight dip in the center but I don't care and neither do the customers, repours are a pain to me.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ThisLittleLightOfMine said:

Wouldn't that melt the plastic molds that you pour it into?

I can put my heat gun on the low setting and make a quick pass over the clamshell, but I only do this if it's absolutely necessary because I have melted the

plastic even on low.  I found hair dryers blow the wax everywhere as they put out too much air.

• Like 1

Well, you're not alone. This has all of a sudden started happening to me, too. I purposely don't overfill my clamshells because I know the wax combo I use will need a second pour. It's never happened before, even with this wax combo, but within the last month the second pour layer completely separates off the top when I go to break pieces out. I'm wondering if the change in temperature outside is messing with the process. I may just have to play with changing my mixture so I don't have to do the second pour or just embrace the dips in each cavity from the wax contracting.

Guest OldGlory

I make the large 6 oz clamshells for my wholesale client, and I had a few that the top layer lifted off. (I do not use the small size clamshell.)

I find that if I fill the cavities about half way, let them harden, then overpour to fill the rest of the way that I do not get the top layer lifting off. I do this because the wax sinks especially in the 2 middle cavities. It works well for me.

7 hours ago, OldGlory said:

I make the large 6 oz clamshells for my wholesale client, and I had a few that the top layer lifted off. (I do not use the small size clamshell.)

I find that if I fill the cavities about half way, let them harden, then overpour to fill the rest of the way that I do not get the top layer lifting off. I do this because the wax sinks especially in the 2 middle cavities. It works well for me.

I'll have to try that. Mine sink in all the cavities and I'm using the smaller clamshell, but this may work! Thanks for the help!! :D