Testers questions

I have two different tester sheets the first is for my most trusted testers

Name of tester,

Date candle given for testing:

Date tested:

Size of candle: What type of container?

Room it will be tested in? Is it the right size room for testing this size candle? Recommend ______ size room for this test.

Approx size of room? Small Medium Large

How high are the ceilings? Standard, High, Cathedral ceilings

Is the candle appealing to look at?

Cold throw: Heavy Medium Light

Comments on cold throw:

Is the wick centered?_____ Time test started_______
How long after lighting did you notice the hot throw?

How close were you to the candle?
Does the scent fill the room of testing?

Does the scent travel into other rooms? How soon did it greet you in other rooms?

Full melt pool was achieved in______ hours. Was not achieved_________ Explain.

Did the wick mushroom on the first burn? Second burn?

Comments after three to five hour burn time.

No scent throw
Hang up of wax on side of container,
Full melt pool never reached,
Tunneling
Off center wick
Soot
Container is very hot.
Flame drowned
Flame too large
Flame too small

The second one is for after I pretty much have everything set just needing a final test.

Final tester!

Hours of first burn________ second burn__________
Was this candle Marathon burned? Results?

Did other people comment on the candle?
Date test was completed?
Grade candle on scent throw: Cold_______ Hot______
Grade candle scent: Loved, Okay, Didn't like, hated!
Final comments for this candle?

• Like 5

Guest OldGlory

WOW, now that is thorough Vicky!! What an awesome list for a tester.

I think you have to make your testers understand that they must try to make the tests even or equal. Same room, same amount of time burned. The fragrance throw is going to probably be different, so that's where you want your focus.

The final test is how well the candle sells but feedback from several different sources helps to make the decision to order more fo and make a lot. I use 1 ounce tester fos and make a couple of candles that customers can buy. If no one picks them up and they just sit, well I know not to invest anymore time or money on that fragrance. I thought Little Black Dress was going to be a winner but it flopped. Nobody liked it and I wasn't stuck with a couple of pounds of the stuff. Sometimes, I'll put a fragrance back out (like Muscadine) and all of a sudden customers ask for more. Its weird.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

I have 4-5 customers that test candles for me as I am done with all the testing. Locals. I deliver a candle to them and once they are finished with the testing as per the enclosed instructions, they go to https://www.tallpinecandles.com/product-questionnaire and answer the questions. Works good for me. Found that 5-8 customers make a good average pool as to how the candle preforms.

2 hours ago, TallPineCandles said:

I have 4-5 customers that test candles for me as I am done with all the testing. Locals. I deliver a candle to them and once they are finished with the testing as per the enclosed instructions, they go to https://www.tallpinecandles.com/product-questionnaire and answer the questions. Works good for me. Found that 5-8 customers make a good average pool as to how the candle preforms.

Sounds like a good plan - do they volunteer or do you pay them?

19 minutes ago, SageSlowdive said:

do they volunteer or do you pay them?

I send out an email to a select few every now and then seeking "Volunteers". I give them the candle plus a healthy discount on purchases while they stay current on testing statues. When they do not do the questionnaire then I drop them from the testers list.