Peak's Cotton Core Wicks

Hello All!

I am an avid user of Peak's Cotton Cores; I love their similarity to zincs but without the ugly mushroom caps!

Anyway, I find this HUGE disparity between the 40s to the next size which are 50s; Without fail the 50s have super tall flames for me; whereas the 40s have almost nearly the perfect flame height everytime. The only problem is the 40s only come in a 2.5 inch. I wish they made a 40 in a 6 inch for my taller freestanders or a 45 maybe?!

Does anyone else use these? I can't image ever going up to an 85, the flames must be enormous!

I use soy and tried them many times and very much disliked them- they burned to hot and smoked and mushroomed like crazy in my wax 

but if they work for you that's great - maybe you can buy them buy the spool and cut and tab your own? Many suppliers offer that but I am not about peaks, maybe check candlewic and see if they have them 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So for me I think the cotton cores from peak look the best when burning. The flame looks perfect.. but I have to use large sizes to get a complete melkt pool (using parasoy IGI 6006). And by the time i wick up enough, i start getting smoke and mushrooms. But other than that the flame looks the best. Just wish I could get a better melt pool out of them. I cant figure out why I cant since they supposedly burn hotter than other wicks.

Currently, I am testing a papercore wick that I hear is similar to the cotton core but with more rigidity. It also goes up higher in size than I could get for the cotton core. 

Hopefully I get some descent results.

• Like 1

I get my cotton core from Candlewic.  I use primarily the 60C or 62C when I make candles with C3 and they mushrooms but I don't get smoke.  Vanilla tends to give a tiny bit of soot on the glass which means it's smoking but I don't see it.

Should add that HTP (which are paper core) work well with my wax as well, I just have to twist them to get them to burn straight down the candle.

Edited by kandlekrazy
add
  • Like 1

ive been trying to use cotton core with IGI6006 parasoy. It burns nicely but doesn't get a great pool. In a 11.5oz tumbler with a 3.5" diamater, I am using a C80 and its still not big enough to get a complete melt pool.  Needless to say, that is the complain Ive had with the cotton cores. I have to wick up like crazy to get a good MP, by then i have a huge flame and start getting mushrooming.  I really REALLY struggle finding a really good wick solution for IGI6006.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On June 21, 2016 at 9:07 AM, kandlekrazy said:

I get my cotton core from Candlewic.  I use primarily the 60C or 62C when I make candles with C3 and they mushrooms but I don't get smoke.  Vanilla tends to give a tiny bit of soot on the glass which means it's smoking but I don't see it.

Should add that HTP (which are paper core) work well with my wax as well, I just have to twist them to get them to burn straight down the candle.

Cotton cores I like to use for cupcake candles and other freestanders mostly, but HTP I use for my containers.

I love my HTPs, the throw, no mushrooming, etc. But I must admit I despise that uneven melt pool, albiet only in the introductory burn it still drives me crazy! I want to tell my customers, just give it another chance, consecutive burns will be even I promise!

I twist mine as well; do you give it just a little twist or a crazy tight twist? Sometimes it seems to make a difference and sometimes it doesn't. 

20 hours ago, jfear said:

Cotton cores I like to use for cupcake candles and other freestanders mostly, but HTP I use for my containers.

I love my HTPs, the throw, no mushrooming, etc. But I must admit I despise that uneven melt pool, albiet only in the introductory burn it still drives me crazy! I want to tell my customers, just give it another chance, consecutive burns will be even I promise!

I twist mine as well; do you give it just a little twist or a crazy tight twist? Sometimes it seems to make a difference and sometimes it doesn't. 

I twist them pretty good, not tight but enough that the burn is even.  It took me a while to get it how I like them.  If I overtwisted, I didn't feel the wick was long enough for my container otherwise I don't think you can overtwist.  If that makes sense, it's been a long day!

• Like 1