Clarus 3022

Just received a 10 lb sample of this wax. Before I start playing with it, I would love to get a little input. Cure time? Pour temp? I hear cdn's and zincs work the best. How is the hot throw and appearance of this wax. Any other quick suggestions?  Thanks everyone 

I use a turkey fryer which has a 200 degree temperature. Typical temp for pouring is 185 degrees into clean and warmed jars. I place my jars in a toaster oven on the work bench and keep them nice and toasty. The pour pot is kept on a constant temp on an electrical twin burner on the work bench. I stir in fo and color and pull my jars out and wick them. The jars are weighed and tared out and then filled and placed into a covered box for slow cooling. I pull the jars the next day and do clean up  and trim the wicks before putting on the lids. The candles are ready for sale and really don't require a cure time. They do become more concentrated over time and most times a candle isn't going to go out immediately. I like my candles to be uniform with no wet spots but they will still occur. You can see that candles in the center of the grouping in the cooling box seem to have the fewest wet spots, so I cover my box with a heavy quilt to try and keep out drafts. This is a great wax IMHO. I use cd and cdn wicks and rarely have to change out wick sizes once established. The wax colors well but will only give you pastel colors. I prefer no coloration and rarely have a customer ask for color. I typically use from 6 to 7% fragrance oil and never have seepage or separation. Good luck.

Chuck,

I let my chocolate fudge clarus 3022 candle with a 44-32-18 zinc wick burn for 3 and a half hours so far. It smells amazing! Full melt pool and jar is not too hot. I am burning in a 8oz square mason jar. It achieved a full melt pool in less than an hour but since has been burning slower so it's not very deep at all. I am thinking about ordering cdn wicks. What sizes would you suggest for 8oz masons and 10oz 12 sided jars and 8oz jellies? This way i know what I should order. Thanks a bunch

Hey light,

No I am not throwing in the towel at all. I love the hot throw of 4627 and began to find that zinc wicks are working the best for me. Still trying to  figure out a couple containers. I have heard about clarus from several people and about how nice of a wax it is. I called the company and requested a free sample just to dabble with and they sent me a huge block of it. I have to say that it is a beautiful wax. I burned it for 4 hours last night and it had an excellent throw with the chocolate fudge from candle science that I tested. So far it is the best looking wax that I have used. It's soy/parrafin blend. I want to learn this wax so I can use it for certain scents and 4627 for others. Sorry to hear about family issues. Hope everything is ok?

My cousin took his own life so it has been really hard... trying to find a sense of normal again. Ty for asking that was really sweet. Anyway who sells Clarus? I'm not sure I've heard of that wax? Do you know if it's kind of along the same lines as 6006? Didn't glory say that was like 75% 4627 and 35% some soy blend? I haven't tried 6006 yet either but would like SOMETHING to work right so I at least have a base line on how each wick performs lol so zinc wicks worked better in 4627?? Hmmmm

So sorry to hear about your cousin and know what's it like to have friends commit suicide. Zincs seem to work the best for me in 4627. I am sticking with the 51 zinc for my medium masons. Smaller ones for the jellies. Also the Clarus 3022 I hear is just like 6006. It is a very pretty wax and burns almost exactly like my 464 soy. It smells better though and looks prettier without the frost so far. I will be purchasing cdn wicks but waiting to hear back from Chuck.

Thank you for your kindness... I'm still kinda in shock I think... I'm wondering if I should try another wax or just another jar or another kind of wick lol I am driving myself crazy trying to get this dancing flame under control! I was gonna go back through my notes today and maybe see which of the seemingly billions of combinations had the best throw and just go with that and forget nit picking about the flame... but then there's the perfectionist side of me... lol

Honestly I have almost completely given up on the dancing flame. It does not matter what I do, it will always dance. My main concerns are safety, scent and customer satisfaction. I have yet to have a customer complain about the flame. Feedback that I get from customers have been positive so far. Try the zincs and I think that you will be happy with those. I all but gave up on this wax until I tried the zincs. Becky on this site helped me out tremendously with her suggestions. 

• Like 1

Hey CG, sorry to keep you waiting. I used to carry the square Masons and because of the corners wicked with a 14 cdn and can't tell you about the 12 sided container but you might want to order a sample pack first and test for your area. This wax tends to have hang up but about half way into the burn will catch up and finish out completely. I have a drawer full of 14, 16, and 18 wicks as my usual choices. I have used higher wicks on really large projects and they looked like bonfires, so its double wicking for those. The Libbey hearts are really nice and I use 3 16s for a great candle. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chuck,

Just want to give an update on the Clarus 3022. I have tested the Clarus in a 12oz Libbey jar from Candle Science with Cranberry Marmalade  at 8% also from CS ,using a 51-32-18 zinc wick. No soot at all, decent scent throw, and it's a beautiful wax. I did use dye but not much at all. The burn has been doing very well. It cleans the sides with a tiny bit of hangup on one side. At the end I am certain that it will burn off though. Only thing left on the other sides is mild film on the glass. So far this is the only wax and wick combo I have found that works in those jars. I have cdn wicks and would like to test those with this wax and jar. Think that i will start with a cdn 10. Just wanted to thank you for your help along the way and I appreciate it and wanted to update you on my progress. Think I will be ordering more Clarus 3022. Oh before I forget, the 3022 works great in my 8oz mason jars in bakery scents with the cdn wicks. Also is there any need to off Center my wick placement as thearly cdn tends to bend to one side?

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 10lb sample of 3022 the other day. Great wax and very easy to work with. To me, it behaved the same as 6006. I am getting a slightly better hot throw than 6006. Looks like Connie's Candles is the only place to buy it by the case. With shipping from Connie's it would be about $30 more per case than 6006 from another supplier. To order it from the Dallas warehouse you would need to order a minimum of 8 cases delivered on a pallet. Too much to spend at once. Too bad other suppliers didn't pick up this wax.

Here is part of the email I got from Craig at Clarus.

As mentioned, this product is only available in less than full pallet quantities from our Dallas, TX warehouse.

The product is packaged as slabs in 62 LB cartons.  The minimum order is 8 cartons and will be shipped on a wooden pallet.

The current price for this quantity is $1.4700/LB, FOB Dallas.

Best regards,
Clarus Specialty Products, LLC

Craig Prain
803-324-4368

I also did my research with Connie's candles and it is a bit pricey with shipping. I would order 33lbs most likely but it will cost 88 dollars to be shipped to me. Peak is now 2 and half hours from me and sells 6006. I can get that a bit cheaper than 3022. I will save on shipping but 3022 is a nice wax and I am uncertain about 6006. Think I will order a sample from Peak to see how it measures up with the Clarus. I understand both waxes have different ratios. I have both zincs and cdn wicks. These wicks seem to work well for different containers. I find the cdn wicks like dancing a lot, where as the zincs do not in Clarus. Guess I have some decisions to make. Lol

• Like 1

I've been using 6006 and zinc wicks and will likely stick to it. Although I like the couple testers I made with 3022, I just can't justify the extra cost per case for it. I also like the fact I can get 6006 from different suppliers. 

I ordered a sample of 6006 from Peak yesterday so it should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I will dabble with it a bit. I added up the extra cost and it's about a 5 dollar difference with shipping. I will also use zincs as these are my favorites anyhow lol. Awesome! Thanks Ray

• Like 1