Clarus 3022

Clarus 3022 works well for me with CDN wicks. I have used other wicks but I just can't seem to get them to work with this wax. I have some scents that are absolutely amazing in this wick wax combo. 

6006 is a very good wax to use as well. The wicking is different for this wax though. People use all kinds of wicks in this but I prefer zincs. I am not going to give away all of my secrets here but a little won't hurt. This wax I find that it needs a little more attention than 3022. I have found that anything larger than an 8oz mason jar will most likely need a repour. I have a heat gun and a heat lamp that can also assist at times to eliminate a repour. Pouring at the right temp and a little maintenance will go a long way with this wax. It has great hot throw when it cures for a few days to a week. The cold throw I find to be a little weak in comparison to some other waxes I have used. Some may argue the cold throw comment from me but I am going off my personal experience. I usually use 8% fragrance as well. Hope that helps?

11 hours ago, Candle guy said:

Clarus 3022 works well for me with CDN wicks. I have used other wicks but I just can't seem to get them to work with this wax. I have some scents that are absolutely amazing in this wick wax combo. 

6006 is a very good wax to use as well. The wicking is different for this wax though. People use all kinds of wicks in this but I prefer zincs. I am not going to give away all of my secrets here but a little won't hurt. This wax I find that it needs a little more attention than 3022. I have found that anything larger than an 8oz mason jar will most likely need a repour. I have a heat gun and a heat lamp that can also assist at times to eliminate a repour. Pouring at the right temp and a little maintenance will go a long way with this wax. It has great hot throw when it cures for a few days to a week. The cold throw I find to be a little weak in comparison to some other waxes I have used. Some may argue the cold throw comment from me but I am going off my personal experience. I usually use 8% fragrance as well. Hope that helps?

I really appreciate it!! I just realized this was in the candle making section, I was mostly curious about scent throw and longevity for melts.  I have been testing waxes for quite some time now and with all the good quality waxes available today, narrowing down a couple for blending gets a bit difficult. It seems as though, the FO is a huge culprit in the final outcome and overall the waxes seem to throw a quality FO well.  Again, it comes down to being very picky when choosing a wax it seems like lately, at least for me.  However, maybe I lucked out on the waxes that I am choosing to test.

I make melts as well but I do not use either wax for those. Some people do incorporate 6006 into their melts but I use my own secret recipe that does not involve either wax. You can get a good scent throw from 6006 but 3022 will have to be mixed with another wax. I would prefer a pillar wax to some degree. 3022 will melt easier and on its own it will become a mess in the container because of its softness. You will want to add some pillar to stiffen it up. 3022 has great scent throw if used with the proper scents. Scents are a big hit or miss with candles and melts. It just takes a lot of testing and money lol. 

Trust me I know, at one point of my skincare business, I had crates full of oils and I sure wish I would've kept them for wax testing.  Lots of testing and money with all these things if you care about the final product such as we do.

Edited by lovelyscents

My input:

3022 is good... similar to 6006. But I wouldn't choose it over 6006 for several reasons.

1) HT is good.. but not better than 6006. Anyone who ahs issues with HT with 6006 just needs to troubleshoot what they may be doing wrong. 6006 HT is incrfedible and requires only a little cure time. Of course, it can get better the longer it cures like any wax. 3022 takes a bit longer to cure I feel. The closes thing you get to straight parrafin HT that isn't straight parrafin is 6006... end of story! :)

2) I can get a few different wicks to work well in both waxes but each with their own caveats. I feel like 6006 gives me a couple more options though. A lot of it depends on the jar. I think as the jar size (diameter) increases, 6006 has performed better than 3022. 

3) Because 3022 has more soy than 6006, there is potential to run into more problem FOs, though I haven't yet with my limiting testing.

4) Color - can get more vibrant colors with 6006

5) Pricing. It just flat out costs more to use 3022 as of now. Less bulk discounts and shipping is more.

6) Availability - Clarus needs more suppliers for me to feel comfortable 

All that being said... I still like 3022 and like the company and people who work for it. I wouldn't hesitate about using or or feeling confident with it. But, I cant justify it over 6006... at least yet. 6006 has been my go to wax and taken me from 0 to where I am now all on its own. At this point.. I just trust it and have the process to use it down pat. So at this point, it will take something REALLY good and different for me to change.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2016 at 10:04 AM, ThisLittleLightOfMine said:

My cousin took his own life so it has been really hard... trying to find a sense of normal again. Ty for asking that was really sweet. Anyway who sells Clarus? I'm not sure I've heard of that wax? Do you know if it's kind of along the same lines as 6006? Didn't glory say that was like 75% 4627 and 35% some soy blend? I haven't tried 6006 yet either but would like SOMETHING to work right so I at least have a base line on how each wick performs lol so zinc wicks worked better in 4627?? Hmmmm

I am so sorry about your cousin. My heart and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Much love your way.

On 4/19/2017 at 11:30 PM, wthomas57 said:

My input:

3022 is good... similar to 6006. But I wouldn't choose it over 6006 for several reasons.

1) HT is good.. but not better than 6006. Anyone who ahs issues with HT with 6006 just needs to troubleshoot what they may be doing wrong. 6006 HT is incrfedible and requires only a little cure time. Of course, it can get better the longer it cures like any wax. 3022 takes a bit longer to cure I feel. The closes thing you get to straight parrafin HT that isn't straight parrafin is 6006... end of story! :)

2) I can get a few different wicks to work well in both waxes but each with their own caveats. I feel like 6006 gives me a couple more options though. A lot of it depends on the jar. I think as the jar size (diameter) increases, 6006 has performed better than 3022. 

3) Because 3022 has more soy than 6006, there is potential to run into more problem FOs, though I haven't yet with my limiting testing.

4) Color - can get more vibrant colors with 6006

5) Pricing. It just flat out costs more to use 3022 as of now. Less bulk discounts and shipping is more.

6) Availability - Clarus needs more suppliers for me to feel comfortable 

All that being said... I still like 3022 and like the company and people who work for it. I wouldn't hesitate about using or or feeling confident with it. But, I cant justify it over 6006... at least yet. 6006 has been my go to wax and taken me from 0 to where I am now all on its own. At this point.. I just trust it and have the process to use it down pat. So at this point, it will take something REALLY good and different for me to change.

I really appreciate your honest review of this as I was very much concerned about the same reasons with 3022, especially cost due to supplier availability.  By this post, I am assuming you just do candles?  I ask because I wonder if another wax (pillar/votive) should be added for melts, not venturing into candles at least not for a long time HAHA.  I honestly have been testing for quite some time now and realize that I will have to test those things for myself (since we all get different results with same waxes, FOs, temps etc.), but this helped me in my decision to try 6006 first.  I have been testing 415, 464, 4625 and 4630 all on their own and in numerous blends.  I now would like to venture into a couple preblended parasoy waxes.  However, I get nervous with preblend formulas for the possibility of inconsistent variables per batch.  I have also tried the granular preblend which I thought was decent and I love the appearance, but am still feeling out the HT.