Melts with seeping FO a GOOD thing to customers?

Just2BHappy

I've been wondering about this. I have watched youtube videos made by customers of a certain online candle/melt vendor. Often, they would speak admiringly about melts that had oils almost dripping from them. These were melts in portion cups. They would show the wax and the cup, and there was indeed a lot of oil on the surface of both. They felt this was a good thing.

I am wondering what you all think about this. Have you ever made melts like this and offered them to customers? Do you think customers see melts seeping FO as superior to ones that don't? In other words, do you think what a candlemaker would see as a problem, a customer might perceive as a sign of a better product?

(I should say that I have ordered from this vendor and have not received any melts like this. This isn't a review or comment on the vendor!)

No. 

I do not know where this vendor sells but generally speaking, those in the online wax community would not respond well to that. One vendor has had issue with her oils eating through clamshells and it has been discussed quite a bit. Not positively. Those in the online wax community are not casual melters and are very aware. They comment if someone uses too much dye or if they are suspect that someone's packaging is not polypropylene! That said, they also would not accept a melt with a subtle scent throw either.  Although I read that customers do not always want an "in your face", "blow the doors off" scent throw, online customers do! They will try different warmers and if you do not have remarkable scent throw and longevity, they are out. 

• Like 3

I have seen this too, that's why I am puzzled. When I saw the videos I referenced above, I thought, "that must be messy, I wouldn't want to get that on my hands". At that point, I knew nothing about the process of making wax melts, so since the person making the video thought this was a good thing, I figured it must be (although I couldn't wrap my head around why). Now I know better!

Wow....I don't even know what to say to that

probably the worst thing that could happen! Some fragrance is not even skin safe so absolutely a lawsuit waiting to happen and if a child gets a hold of it....??

leakage is a responsible chandlers worst nightmare 

• Like 1

As others have said, not only no, but HELL NO!! (sorry so blunt!)

What that means is too much oil was used for the wax, and the wax couldn't hold it all causing a hazard. Since these are tarts, there shouldn't be a fire hazard, unless they are being used with a tealight melter, but there are other hazards, such as getting the oil on your skin. If it's not a skin safe fragrance, it could cause serious damage to someone's skin, causing chemical burns which could lead to scarring or worse case nerve damage and more. Just think if they got some on their finger then rubbed their eye? Ever done that with jalapeno juice? Now imagine doing that with a concentrated chemical... 

It's irresponsible and anyone purposefully doing this needs to go back and do a ton more research!!! 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone! I have to believe that this isn't an intentional thing on the part of the vendor. But perhaps they need better quality control! 

On a related note, is it the wax alone that determines the max FO load? Or does the type of FO come into play as well? For instance, let's say the max load for a wax is 10%. Is is possible that one FO will do fine at 10%, while another will seep at 10%? I know some FOs are heavier than others; is that something to consider when deciding what percentage to use?

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen YouTube vids like these too. The customers ooohhh and ahhh over the amount of oil seeping as if it's a great thing. The vendor is using more oil than the wax is designed to hold. This also can mean very little testing was done. Pour and send...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:58 PM, Just2BHappy said:

Thank you everyone! I have to believe that this isn't an intentional thing on the part of the vendor. But perhaps they need better quality control! 

On a related note, is it the wax alone that determines the max FO load? Or does the type of FO come into play as well? For instance, let's say the max load for a wax is 10%. Is is possible that one FO will do fine at 10%, while another will seep at 10%? I know some FOs are heavier than others; is that something to consider when deciding what percentage to use?

Actually both, this person could be using a lot more FO than the wax called for or the FO wasn't mixed well. In my experience Vanilla FO's will seep out of the wax in some waxes if not stirred enough, if it exceeded the amount of FO that the wax called for, if the temp of the wax was to hot when pouring the FO in or vice versa . This is one of the many reasons we test our waxes it's not only to see if the scent lasts.

This is something we don't want. Those customers who are thinking this is a positive thing is under the assumption that more is better, like the triple scented gimmick. When actually as a candle maker we want to use less FO that gives off that powerful triple scented smell lol..

Edited by mindy5140
added a comment

I am actually part of an international FB candle group that lots of people talk about how they love when they can see "oil" lines in the candles (container candles) i dont really get this they seem to think that it means that they are getting a  candle that will have a stronger smell ( i dont really thinks thats true and from what i have read on here more FO isnt always better) 

Now i havent seen them comment on tarts/ melts so im not sure what this groups reaction would be to that, just sounds messy to me. 

7 hours ago, Siren12 said:

I am actually part of an international FB candle group that lots of people talk about how they love when they can see "oil" lines in the candles (container candles) i dont really get this they seem to think that it means that they are getting a  candle that will have a stronger smell ( i dont really thinks thats true and from what i have read on here more FO isnt always better) 

Now i havent seen them comment on tarts/ melts so im not sure what this groups reaction would be to that, just sounds messy to me. 

No, more isn't better where you can see an oil line, ESPECIALLY in a candle. It's probably even more dangerous than in tarts/melts, because you have an open flame with a very flammable free floating oil that is not mixed in properly with the wax. 

I hope all those people in the FB group have good insurance if they are proposing that this is a good way to make candles. 

50 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

No, more isn't better where you can see an oil line, ESPECIALLY in a candle. It's probably even more dangerous than in tarts/melts, because you have an open flame with a very flammable free floating oil that is not mixed in properly with the wax. 

I hope all those people in the FB group have good insurance if they are proposing that this is a good way to make candles. 

Sorry I wrote that quick and wasn't clear, most of the people only buy candles and don't make their own so they are looking at yankee candle, Kringle or village candles etc... And are seeing extra oil, many times though I think its just frosting as I a have a Yankee candle here at home and it has a bunch of frosting in it.

Oh, okay, that makes more sense. Most yankee candles are made with paraffin wax, and get the mottling effect, so I can see where that looks like extra FO. Also, most of those only scent the top 1/3 of the candle to save money. It's a racket for sure... 

• Like 1