Happy selling online?

chevril

Hi,

I see that there is a discussion about selling online from late January, but it was kind of discouraging since it was either going slow for those in discussion or being a major hassle to get a customer base.  My question: is anyone having a good experience selling candles online?  Making a profit? I have to sell online due to weird health (narcolepsy- I have a history of falling hopelessly asleep while manning show booths and can only drive locally). I really need some encouragement if anyone has any to give! Thanks! ??

8 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

You can do it. It takes time to find your voice, but it can be done. 

I love my online shops. 

Really? Oh, THANK YOU! It doesn't take a lot to encourage me but some days it makes ALL the difference! Is it OK to ask to see some of them? Not to copy anything! If not, I absolutely understand! ❤️

• Like 1

We started our website a year ago this April. We average $1200-1500/month gross. And about 60% profit. So, I guess it is working well for us. We have noticed that we will get an order from a city we have not had customers before, and then within a month we will get another order or two from different folks, and that spreads. Online sales is slow. It takes word of mouth to increase your business. None of our customers to my knowledge have just ordered out of the clear blue; all that we correspond with say they experienced our products from someone else who bought them. Bet that's the way it is for everyone. We also don't waste our money on increasing our spot in a Google search.

• Like 2

My websites don't get too many organic searches.  It is mostly customers who have bought from me at craft shows and want to reorder.  The bulk of my sales come from the shows and having my products in shops.  Not so much online for me.  

I did not find the other post negative at all. My message may sound discouraging but I see (and hear!) the same thing as I advise others on building websites and brands. 

You cannot put your product out on a web platform, sit down and wonder why "no one is coming".

A website, Facebook page or group, Instagram and all methods of reaching customers are active and dynamic. They take care and work.

You will need to do some things to attract the right customers and encourage them to add products to their cart and follow through with their purchase. One of the biggest things I hear is about places like Etsy are things like, "It is over saturated with *insert whatever product here*", "How will they find me?" or "They will come to find me and see other things".

You have to have a plan to drive people to your brand and your product regardless the platform. 

Putting things there and sitting back would be like opening a physical store, sitting in a chair and wondering where the customers are. JUST like you would take steps to draw customers to a physical store and you would organize the store to be visually appealing, you do the same thing online. Scent names and descriptions must evoke feelings and emotions since customers cannot smell the items in person.

So, yes, one can be profitable with online sales. It is, however, not a "build it and they will come" proposition. You do have to plan and work to make that happen! 

• Like 3