Good fo for a newbie to use for testing wax?

Just2BHappy

Hi everyone! I'm new here and doing so much reading, my eyes hurt! :read:

I am about to place my first wax/fragrance oil orders with Candlescience and Peak's. I will be making melts (for myself), and playing around with (ie, testing!) the following paraffin and parasoy blends: 4265, 4630, 4794, 4627, and 6006.

I will be ordering some fo samples, but for my testing, I really want to use one scent, and one scent only, to really be able to evaluate my melts. Since I have zero experience, I want to be sure that the scent I select is one that usually "works", in order to eliminate one variable.

Can anyone recommend a fo from CS or Peaks that would be good for a newbie? I know so much depends on the wax itself, but I don't want to start testing with a fragrance that is really difficult to mix (I understand that bakery scents require a higher heat and more stirring to incorporate?), or with a fo that is really highly variable.

TIA!

Thanks Vicky!

Oh, definitely, one step at a time! I want to focus on testing wax/wax blends until I find one that is at least workable for me. Blending scents is a long way down the road for me! I know this is going to take a LOT of time and testing.

That's why I want to narrow my fragrance choices at first. I don't want to bounce around from fo to fo, because then I can't say whether the results I get re: CT, HT, etc, are due to the wax, or the fo. I just don't have the experience to know which variable is causing any issues I encounter (and I'm sure I will encounter issues!).

Do you think it matters which scent I choose? I was eyeing CS Very Vanilla (basically because I love vanilla scents and I read that this one is typically a strong thrower).

23 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I think what Vicky was referring to was starting off with single note fragrances like Lavender, Rose, Vanilla, Cinnamon as opposed to multiple note blends like Apples & Maple Bourbon or Tonka Bean & Coriander, etc.

Okay, gotcha! That totally makes sense. I really want to start off simple! Just wanted to make sure no-one thought I wanted to skip ahead! :)

26 minutes ago, Becky said:

Some vanillas and cinnamons can be finicky, especially with different wicks,  I usually test with a simple fragrance like apple :)

Thanks Becky!

I'm only planning on making melts for now, so wicking won't be an issue. I honestly never thought about apple, that sounds like a great option!

• Like 1

I would choose:

Mac Apple (CS)

Christmas hearth (I call rustic cabin) CS

Pink Sugar (peak)

Amish Harvest (peak)

Peach Nectar (CS)

Grapefruit Mangosteen (CS)

Those are strong ones that were some of my first throwers. 

Also, I found that heating wax to 185 and heating fo a bit before adding helped a lot. For tarts, I use my own blend of soy and paraffin wax. 

• Like 2

I second CS Macintosh apple- great thrower in many blends

I also like from them

-lavender

-passion fruit guava 

-Caribbean teakwood

-oakmoss and amber

-smoke and odor eliminator

-lavender vanilla

-baby powder 

all great throwers 

peak I love

-black canyon 

-sunflower

-downy fresh

-pear spice 

-Amish harvest

-winter wonderland 

-purely peppermint 

-lemon pound cake 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ktaggard said:

Also, I found that heating wax to 185 and heating fo a bit before adding helped a lot. For tarts, I use my own blend of soy and paraffin wax. 

Thanks so much for your recommendations, ktaggard! I love Pink Sugar, so that will probably go on my Peak's list, and the Mac Apple on my CS list.

Can I ask how you heat the fo? And how warm do you get it? I really appreciate the tips!

Thank you moonshine!

This is exactly what I was hoping for! Because I am completely inexperienced, I wanted ONE variable that shouldn't be a factor in my testing. In other words, if (maybe I should say when! :)) some of my tests fail, I'll know it was because of the wax blend, the process, or something else, not the fo. I wasn't sure how to proceed without at least one control!

I'm so thankful you all have taken the time to share your knowledge and help me!

3 hours ago, Just2BHappy said:

Thanks so much for your recommendations, ktaggard! I love Pink Sugar, so that will probably go on my Peak's list, and the Mac Apple on my CS list.

Can I ask how you heat the fo? And how warm do you get it? I really appreciate the tips!

I measure my fo in a small, glass measuring breaker and put in micro for 10-15 seconds. I like the temp of my wax to stay at 185 even after fo is added and while I'm stirring. This is just something that has worked for me. As you know, everyone has their own methods. I need to add that I do keep most of my fos in the fridge, so I just like to get my oil warmed up a bit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soshiegirl said:

Test scents you know and like or love.  Sticking with scents you know how they smell will help you in the long run.  Good luck and have fun!

Thanks, soshiegirl! I figured I'd better pick a scent that I wouldn't mind smelling over and over and over again! :)