How Strong?

I just need a little input regarding fragrance loads. When scenting your candles, do you scent it with the strength that you like it or the strength you preceive your customers will like it. I know this sounds like a strange question but I got mixed reviews on some tester candles recently. I like a strong candle with a strong scent throw so I made one with 1.5 oz f/o per lb and one with 1 oz per lb, My testers, females, all chose the 1 oz per lb because they do not like to buy/burn strong candles, one felt that a candle should be like "background music" you know it's there, but it's not drowning you out. I thought that was very interesting. The men who smelled the testers chose the strongest, I found that interesting too. So...what do you do?

I'm a "background music" type of chandler, I don't do strong scents. I don't like them, so I tend to find customers with the same dislike of really strong scents.

All depends on what kind of market you want to target - die hard candle lovers who love strong thing, or other types that use candles for other purposes (decoration, light, whatever)

For me it also depends on the fo, and the kind of scent. I generally go with 1oz pp on most scents. But I do like my sweet scents stronger, and my florals weaker. I have yet to come acrossed a person that liked a really strong floral. For example I was warned to start with .5oz on lavender, and did, it was way to strong for me, but I am not a fan of floral scents. So I gave the rest of these votives to my mother. She also said they were to strong, based soley on cold throw, she wouldn't even burn them. So I remelted them and added a half pound of wax, still had a great cold throw and a strong hot throw, but was burnable for a couple of hours in a large room. I now use .25 oz of this fo.

Keep in mind that thanks to candle nose, your nose is not the best judge of strength.

I guess I would describe mine as 'medium', as I use a little less than 1 oz (somewhere between 0.5 and 1 oz). Even so, there are already people sneezing when they walk by my booth at the craft fair. Some said they have allergies ... I guess I won't be making mine stronger.