Square Chip Reader not working

Candybee

So after waiting since August to get my new chip reader I finally got it a couple weeks ago. Tried it for the first time this past Saturday and it didn't work. I was pretty mad.

I had updated to the latest version of Square on my Android, juiced the reader up so it was ready to go, synced it to my phone. It just didn't work.

So I called them this morning and just got back from the post office. I sent it back to them and am getting a refund. While I was out I bought the other new Square combo chip & magstripe reader at Staples for about $30.

Its all ready to use. I am very happy with it. Now I will see how it works this coming Saturday. Assuming I have a CC sale with a card with a chip.

I think their wireless chip reader just doesn't sync well with the internet and that is why they are having so many problems with it.

Everyone at my market is either using the plug in chip reader or has ordered it and sent the wireless one back for a refund.

So anyone who is having problems with yours you can call them and they will probably take it back and refund you your $50 back.

Edited by Candybee

I lost a sale at one of my November shows because the battery went dead on it and I did not figure it out until the lady finally said forget it and left.  Good thing I had my old one with as a back up.  Now I will make sure it is charged up good before every show.

Was it the apple branded one that they said *everyone* *had* to have back in October?

so weird that big and small stores here are not even hooked up yet. Just Target (makes sense given they caused millions in losses last year after a hack) and Walmart. 

Maybe. Its the one a lot of us signed up for at Square last year. It's white and has the Square logo on it so don't know if its Apple or not. But its the one I have been waiting for since August when I first signed up on Square website to get it.

It took all this time from August to Feb for them to send it out to me. Its about 3x3", square shaped, and 1/4" thick. It runs on bluetooth I think.

Square now has the combo chip/magstripe reader for sale on their website for $29. They didn't have it before so its pretty new. It's the one I bought only I went to Staples to get it. Target and Walmart are supposed to carry it too.

The combo chip/magstripe reader plugs into your phone or IPad. It looks similar to the old Square magstripe reader only slightly bigger.

Edited by Candybee

4 hours ago, Candybee said:

The combo chip/magstripe reader plugs into your phone or IPad. It looks similar to the old Square magstripe reader only slightly bigger.

This is the one I have!  It does not stay charged up too long but when it is charged it works great!

• Like 1

Oh yes, it will last for the whole day but if there is a long period of time between shows it just dies out on its own.  At least it seems that way to me.  So I have to remember to charge it up before each show.  

• Like 1

I also bought one of those cell phone charger's you can use in your car. So when I am on the road or at a show and the battery runs down I have a source to recharge the chip reader and my phone if necessary. Another vender advised me to buy one last year and I am glad I did. It has saved me a couple times in the last year.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:05 PM, Candybee said:

So after waiting since August to get my new chip reader I finally got it a couple weeks ago. Tried it for the first time this past Saturday and it didn't work. I was pretty mad.

I had updated to the latest version of Square on my Android, juiced the reader up so it was ready to go, synced it to my phone. It just didn't work.

So I called them this morning and just got back from the post office. I sent it back to them and am getting a refund. While I was out I bought the other new Square combo chip & magstripe reader at Staples for about $30.

Its all ready to use. I am very happy with it. Now I will see how it works this coming Saturday. Assuming I have a CC sale with a card with a chip.

I think their wireless chip reader just doesn't sync well with the internet and that is why they are having so many problems with it.

Everyone at my market is either using the plug in chip reader or has ordered it and sent the wireless one back for a refund.

So anyone who is having problems with yours you can call them and they will probably take it back and refund you your $50 back.

Do you think the Bluetooth Square card reader did not work for you because your phone was not listed as compatible, as you had posted in an earlier message?  Makes me wonder if mine will work.  I haven't tried to use mine yet as I was waiting until my spring farmers markets start.  Supposed to get the first $50.00 in processing fees free, but that has to be within so many months after you first use it.

I also have the Square combo chip & magnetic reader that you recently got, but I could not get that to work at my outdoor shows. 

Anyone else try the Bluetooth Square reader yet?

It could be that it didn't work for me because my phone was not on the list. But my phone did sync with the chip reader and the green lights lit up when it did plus the reader's identity # came up on my phone the way its supposed to do. So if all that worked why would it not work with my phone? Doesn't make sense.

After talking to other vendors who had the chip reader which should have worked for them but didn't it does make you wonder that the reader is flawed and just doesn't work smoothly or at all.

Whatever I can't deal with that I need a reliable reader and the bluetooth wireless chip reader is a useless piece of overpriced junk IMO.

Edited by Candybee