Single Note FOs

janejanejane

Hi everyone!

My name is Jane, and I am new to the community and to candling. I am looking for single-scent, or very simple "found in nature" type fragrance oils for my soy candles. I was hoping to get recommendations for good suppliers, especially those who deal in small amounts of high quality, potent, phthalate-free and animal-cruelty free.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi everyone!

My name is Jane, and I am new to the community and to candling. I am looking for single-scent, or very simple "found in nature" type fragrance oils for my soy candles. I was hoping to get recommendations for good suppliers, especially those who deal in small amounts of high quality, potent, phthalate-free and animal-cruelty free.

Thanks in advance!!!

Is there a special reason you are looking for single note fragrances? Do you plan to mix your own? The reason I ask is because today's customers expect unique blends. I find single note fragrances aren't typically good sellers. Some exceptions are classics like lavender, cucumber, lilac, vanilla, cinnamon, melon, apple, etc.

I don't know any supplier that specializes in single notes but many suppliers may carry at least some. There is a supplier list on the forum that can help you out.

You should also consider the supplier's location. Shipping fragrances with under 200 degrees flash point (FP) require ground shipping by law and the cost can be considerable.

For example I am on the east coast so I use mostly Peaks, Candle Science, Fillmore Containers, Soapalooza, Candles & Supplies. There are others but I always consider cost to ship to me.

• Like 1

You can't beat places like Peak and Candle Science for good FO's. Nature's Gardens, the Candle Source, Cajun's,  Fragrance Buddy and Rustic Escentuals all have great FO's as well as other places that I can't think of right off the top of my head.

Single note FO's found in nature....

most of your suppliers will have many like- apple- pine-Rose-cedar-rosemary-lavender-sage-dirt-grass-lilac-hyacinth-honeysuckle- Etc.....

but you may find like candybee said above your customers look for combos- unique blends but if your wanting to start with single notes most companies have them

Guest OldGlory

I can offer a few suggestions for some straightforward, single description type fragrances.

Aztec in Knoxville, TN has Honeysuckle, Lilac, Georgia Peach, Tobacco, Fresh Cut Christmas Tree, and many more. These are very true to the name - meaning the Lilac smells like Lilac, Peach smells like Peach, etc.

Is this what you mean when you ask for single note fragrances? My customers prefer that sort of fragrance when it comes to 'scents from nature', but they also love just about anything bakery. What they don't buy is the really busy scent types, like the designers. Aztec has a fragrance called Forever Red, and it's lovely, but because my customers can't identify what they are smelling, they don't buy it.

9 hours ago, Belinda said:

You can't beat places like Peak and Candle Science for good FO's. Nature's Gardens, the Candle Source, Cajun's,  Fragrance Buddy and Rustic Escentuals all have great FO's as well as other places that I can't think of right off the top of my head.

Thanks, @Belinda! I've heard of them all but have been wary to order without an endorsement. 

22 hours ago, Candybee said:

Is there a special reason you are looking for single note fragrances? Do you plan to mix your own? The reason I ask is because today's customers expect unique blends. I find single note fragrances aren't typically good sellers. Some exceptions are classics like lavender, cucumber, lilac, vanilla, cinnamon, melon, apple, etc.

I don't know any supplier that specializes in single notes but many suppliers may carry at least some. There is a supplier list on the forum that can help you out.

You should also consider the supplier's location. Shipping fragrances with under 200 degrees flash point (FP) require ground shipping by law and the cost can be considerable.

For example I am on the east coast so I use mostly Peaks, Candle Science, Fillmore Containers, Soapalooza, Candles & Supplies. There are others but I always consider cost to ship to me.

Hi @Candybee, I do plan to mix my own -- definitely wasn't planning to do single-scents! Thanks so all the helpful info -- I too am on the East Coast, so will def check out those suppliers!

2 hours ago, OldGlory said:

I can offer a few suggestions for some straightforward, single description type fragrances.

Aztec in Knoxville, TN has Honeysuckle, Lilac, Georgia Peach, Tobacco, Fresh Cut Christmas Tree, and many more. These are very true to the name - meaning the Lilac smells like Lilac, Peach smells like Peach, etc.

Is this what you mean when you ask for single note fragrances? My customers prefer that sort of fragrance when it comes to 'scents from nature', but they also love just about anything bakery. What they don't buy is the really busy scent types, like the designers. Aztec has a fragrance called Forever Red, and it's lovely, but because my customers can't identify what they are smelling, they don't buy it.

Yep, just what I'm looking for. I want to blend my own scents, so that's why the desire for "found in nature" types, plus that fact that my "clients" (aka friends while I'm still experimenting) are requesting scents often found in essential oils (lavender, eucalyptus, orange, etc.), which I've found unusable in candling personally.

I know SaveOnScents has a 'key notes' collection. I have purchased some and can say some are so true to their name. Such as "celery salt"... Smells like literal celery with salt. Incredible. Same goes for their "Pink Peppercorn"... smells just like pink pepper. Not perfumey like other so called pink peppers.   I also purchased the "Thyme" oil and it is incredible. Single note of thyme, that's it. 

I'm not sure if links are allowed (mods please delete link if not allowed) but here is the link to their key notes collection. 
http://www.saveonscents.com/index.php/cPath/291_424

Good luck on your search!