New to candle making, whats wrong here? Can I fix this?

Hey guys i'm new to candle making and this is pretty much my first candles. I'm really not sure whats going on here, the issue seems to be mostly at the bottom but some of the have it on the side too as seen in the photo.

http://imgur.com/mIw5pNC

I'm guessing the wax is shrinking and not adhering to the edges? Can i do something to fix this? Would re-heating the container help? Thank you for any feedback/help.

Stats: Wax - Ecosoya CB Advanced Container size - 8oz Pour Temp - 140F Frangrance add - 145F

I don't use the same wax as you, but I use room-temperature jars and have never had any issues with the wax pulling away from my containers.  

To start, you might want to try pouring at a lower temperature.  I have gotten better and better results the lower I pour; I usually try to pour between 100 and 110ºF. I also pour slowly, so as to get even tops. 

As for the ones you've already made, I don't think there is much you can do to fix the problem, although someone more knowledgeable might have a trick or two. Just remember these are your first candles and they will only get better the more you make!  :)

Pretty jars. Not sure if that's frosting or wax pulling away from the jar.  I can't tell from the picture but maybe someone else can.

The CB Advanced is designed to produce better looking candles with little to no shrinkage or frosting. But the culprit could also be your FO. That's why a lot of chandlers test out a new wax without any additives until they know more about it. That way you know if its the wax or the additive that changes the appearance.

My experience is using lower pouring temps can help or warming the glassware before pouring can also help.

• Like 1

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that's frosting.  I have the same problem with that wax. I poured near your temps and got aggressive frosting, but I've found that if I pour near 150*, i only get frosting on the bottom and a little on top.  If I poured south of 140* I got frosting all throughout.  Try either pouring hotter (150*) or lower and see what your mileage is.

Those jars look good, I'd buy one :)  Keep up the work, and keep practicing.  Even my few I've made thus far although not perfect, are markedly improved compared to my first half dozen.

• 1 month later...

Looks like uneven pull away to me. If you read NGI’s instruction carefully for Advanced soy wax, you will find that it was designed to pull away from the container, (NGI Elements say: EcoSoya CB-Advanced has a smooth, even burn pool with consistent colour retention. It works great with dyes, and is highly frost resistant. It contracts slightly from container, producing a beautiful appearance.) you can’t really stop it. You might be able to get the wax to adhere to the container walls occasionally but the second the candles surrounding air temperature drops by a few degrees, it will probably pull away. I’ve been trying to stop it by blending it with other waxes and trying various other things but I have not succeeded. What I do now is use opaque coloured candle glasses to minimise the look.  464, C3 and Xcel soy waxes certainly have better adherence characteristics but also have other issues that you may not like. I ended up embracing it because I like the waxes other characteristics.

On 1/31/2016 at 8:34 PM, inthedark said:

Looks like uneven pull away to me. If you read NGI’s instruction carefully for Advanced soy wax, you will find that it was designed to pull away from the container, (NGI Elements say: EcoSoya CB-Advanced has a smooth, even burn pool with consistent colour retention. It works great with dyes, and is highly frost resistant. It contracts slightly from container, producing a beautiful appearance.) you can’t really stop it. You might be able to get the wax to adhere to the container walls occasionally but the second the candles surrounding air temperature drops by a few degrees, it will probably pull away. I’ve been trying to stop it by blending it with other waxes and trying various other things but I have not succeeded. What I do now is use opaque coloured candle glasses to minimise the look.  464, C3 and Xcel soy waxes certainly have better adherence characteristics but also have other issues that you may not like. I ended up embracing it because I like the waxes other characteristics.

Hello In the Dark,

I see you use opaque colored glassware.  Wow, that sounds beautiful!  Would you mind if I asked you where you get these jars?  I'd love to see what they look like.

Trappeur

Hello Trappeur, I apologize for the delay in responding. I get these jars from Natural Candle Supply in Australia and an almost identical jar from Candle Supply in Australia which I use as a backup supplier. I have tried other supplier’s jars in the past and found that some fragrance oils reacted with the internal coating and caused the wax to turn blue after a while. The jars from Natural Candle Supply and Candle Supply didn’t seem to have that problem. I also found that the Vanilla Oak fragrance oil from Bramble Berry was one of the best test fragrances because it reacted with poor quality coatings and had no reaction with good quality coatings. Hope that helps. I have posted some photos to show you the difference between the clear glass jars and the opaque jars. The clear jar has container pull away visible and it is not visible with the opaque jar.

WP_001082.jpg

WP_001087.jpg

WP_001077.jpg