BCN no longer carrying wood wicks?

kdes7

what I mean is, the statute of limitations for cases is typically 7 years. This is super old news and, I believe, irrelevant to any wood wick or wood wicked candle on the market today. If you had one of those candles in your hand beyond 7 years it is doubtful you could return to the store for the recall refund. 

Moreover, details of the recall are not very clear. We're the candles over wicked? Was the wick left too long, customers lighting the too long wick causing huge flames? We're the candles over scented? Was there a change in wax for the batch? These are ALL reasons for much more recent recalls of traditionally wicked candles.

Hobby Lobby had had recalls for "normal" wicks in other waxes catching candles on fire. Do we now post that all [whatever wick type it was] candles are bad? 

The scariest candle incident at my house was with a wood wick candle in Palm wax that I had made. It was severely over wicked - which I would not have known until I test burned it. The charts I had seemed appropriate at the time. Burned kind of Ok at first, but quickly gained speed as fuel melted. The flame went from a normal 1" to 5-6" + in two blinks. Caught the candle on fire. I can't blame the wick, nor can I blame ALL wood wicks ever produced. It is completely unrelated to the wood wicks named in the recall.

Great points, TallTayl! I see what you mean....

It's funny, if you look at the picture for the candle that's recalled it does look like it's overwicked! 

Did you ever try wood wicks from this company? I know when I tried wood wicks before (NG, CW) the flames would get really high no matter what size I used, kind of scary high, smoking, etc.; that's why I chose not to use them, but then I saw this company's and it stated how there is no trimming required, burns consistently, etc. so I was thinking of trying them. It was then that I found the recall info and it just kind of turned me off...

I love wood wicks but I feel I would have to increase my business insurance, lol

Anyone here ever use the wicks from Wood Wick Technologies? Reviews???

I have wood wicks from them - purchased (i think) prior to the partnership with lumitique. IN soy they work predictably well. In Glass Glow I was worried.

Yes! they can get a big flame at first. You have to be diligent about trimming them really short when lighting. I don't feel confident selling them, but for my own soy candles in my ceramic jars I love them. The HT is outstanding.

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

You have to be diligent about trimming them really short when lighting. I don't feel confident selling them, but for my own soy candles in my ceramic jars I love them. The HT is outstanding.

Amen to that! lol

I'll start a new thread seeking wood wick users....

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Lumetique is sue happy and has countless lawsuits. They will try to sue a 10 year old little girl making candles for fun. Thing is, there are multiple patents for Wood Wicks by multiple people. Just wait until the patent expires in a couple years and then direct all of your business to other sources. Soon as that patent expires I will be selling them for 1/10 the price.

3 hours ago, xxHalloweenxx said:

Lumetique is sue happy and has countless lawsuits. They will try to sue a 10 year old little girl making candles for fun. Thing is, there are multiple patents for Wood Wicks by multiple people. Just wait until the patent expires in a couple years and then direct all of your business to other sources. Soon as that patent expires I will be selling them for 1/10 the price.

Not so fast!

Lumetique does not own wooden wick patent.  What they own is the patent for "Planar Wick", and they are applying for new patents every 2 to 3 years to block others from making wooden wicks.  The wooden wick patents that we get to see are patents owned by other companies collaborating with Lumetique's "Planar Wick" patent.  One of their patents might be expire in a couple years, but there are many other patents that will block others from making wooden wicks for long time.  And they are filing for extensions of their patents, too.  Only way to fight them is to go against them "Head On"!  Create one that does not infringe their patent rights!