Essential Oils in Soy Wax

Hi Everybody!

I've been asked to make an essenial oil soy wax candle. However in my research, I'm finding that some people who tried it, didn't state that the scent either wasn't strong enough or burned out too soon.  Are there any candle makers here that use essential oils and it's working for you and/or customers?  And if so, what is a recommended percertage per pound of soy wax? Thanks in advance for your input.

I think the general consensus is....no throw and cost prohibitive.   Eons ago, before I knew anything about anything, I thought I'd make a candle using craft store wax and rosewood EO.  It was a torch.  Literally.  It's a wonder I lived to tell that tale.  I learned something that day. 

Candle Science says, "We've done quite a bit of testing with essential oils in candles and have found that they are just not compatible. Through our testing, we have found that they have a good cold throw before you light them, but once they start to burn, you may get very little scent.   At the worst, you may get a fuel-like smell.  We do still encourage you to experiment and see what you can come up with. If you want to try using essential oils we would recommend you use 1oz of oil per pound of wax." 

They must not have tested with rosewood EO, or their official statement would have been more emphatically discouraging.  Good luck!

I've made them in the past and quit due to cost, 1 oz pp is what I used. 

I do have a lady in our store that blends essential oils and does maybe 5 total scents, they smell good cold but I've burned one and could barely smell it so my guess is she is not using

much.  Her small 7-8 oz candles are $15 and her larger (guessing 20 oz) are $28.  She sells quite a few of the small candles but honestly haven't noticed repeat customers like I have with fo candles & melts. 

I have had a few people ask me if my candles are made with essential oils and when I tell them no 99% still buy them.

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

There is a discussion on this subject in the Essential Oils category, just below the Fragrance Oils category.

I have had good luck with heavy, resinous types of EO, but nothing else.

In candle applications I think they are a waste of money used alone, they can enhance scent in FO but again the price of them I stopped using them in wax

I agree. IMO there are no real benefits to EO in a candle other than aromatherapy IF you can get one to throw - I personally have never been able to achieve that except once when I used up to 12% and the scent ended up fading anyway, so it just IMO is not worth putting EO's in wax. 

Morning everyone and thanks for you input. Well I did pour each a lavender and lemon essential in a 4 oz travel tin and let it set up over the weekend.   I initially burned my lemon for @ 2 1/2 hours at work (we have a private restroom) and my co worker loved it. I also thought it was nice smelling, however when I got home and had more time to burn it, it started to smell like fuel. On the flip side, the lavender burned and smelled like a champ. I burned it overnight in my bathroom (I know don't judge me, lol) which is probably why I overslept this morning, lol. But it blew up my bedroom and hallway, so I think that's a winner!  More testing to be done of course but thanks again everybody for your input.

• Like 1