CD wicks

again. There are two ways to look at it. An amount as a portion of the whole. Or an amount In proportion to other ingredients.

Take soap for instance. Fragrance is usually measured as a percentage of oils. 1 pound of oils equals one ounce of fragrance. Not one pound of oils -1 ounce + 1 ounce of fragrance.

nobody is calling anybody wrong. No emotions needed. It is about consistency in formulating.

• Like 1

what nobody can answer definitively anywhere is what the labels mean when a manufacturer has a product That can hold X percent of fragrance. X percent of what? Without a clear answer nobody is wrong.

I trust something on a forum about as far as I can read it. You will have as many opinions that say one way of calculating is correct as there are others. It's 50-50. So long as the end product is safe I really don't give a flying Fig.

• Like 1

Lol....well my formula doesn't work safely but I thought the way I was doing it was accurate and making candles at 8.5% FO not 9.375....and 1 ounce per pound does not give me good throw at all

Wasting money probably but I am not retesting all those scents at 1.25- I have a handful that I did retest at this and use but I always start off with 1.5 in my testing

So maybe now moving forward new scents get tested lower

Thanks for all the explanations! Never stop learning even after many years of making them

• Like 1

It sure is confusing, especially when so many vendors tweak the tech info to suit their needs. Notice how GB 464 has different fo holding capacity depending on which vendor is selling it ?

Makes sense to me when places like CS say it can hold up to 2 oz per lb when their business is all about selling fragrance! I searched the GB company site and saw nothing to support that claim.

Other sites use tricky language like "may hold up to 7-9%". May. Lol.

The only thing constant is that no vendor is the same with their details. Makes you go hmmmmm doesn't it?

Since we don't know what is used in the fragrance oils I have to wonder how each will change my burn properties. More FO may lower the melt temp of the whole blend by a lot. Or not.

My above reply was supposed to say DOES work safely....I really need to start wearing my glasses when typing! Lol

But yes you are right - very confusing and never the same information from different vendors

That's why It's so important to do so much testing before even thinking about selling

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Up until now, I have only made one candle at a time for testing purposes. To save time, I decided to make three tonight with different sized wicks . . .

My jars hold 8 oz of wax and I wanted 10% fo.

According to my math, that's 2.4 lbs of wax that I needed. I decided to add a little extra wax and I did 2.7 lbs, in turn, I did 2.7 oz of fo. This should have made a little over 3 candles. But I got almost 5! Did I read my scale wrong?! How could I be so off?

Your math is a little off.

8 weighed ounces of wax (will be more by volume since the specific gravity of wax is lower than water. Meaning, if you measure water and wax to the same weight, water takes less space than wax). X 3 candles = 24 weighed ounces. **

24 weighed ounces / 16 oz per lb = 1.5 lbs of wax. (Could be a typo above, or maybe you are converting 24 oz to 2.4 lbs by dividing by 10 instead of 16 ounces to a lb?)

24 oz x 10% = 2.4 oz FO.

Total weight= 26.4 oz

** Volume of containers is generally measured in fluid ounces of water, which has a specific gravity of 1. Soy wax, by comparison can have a specific gravity aceraging around .88, meaning an average soy wax takes up 12% or so more space for the same weight. Every wax is different.

For my 8 oz tins i generally need only about 6 oz of wax depending on how high i decide to pour. Depending on your container, this totally accounts for the extra.

Thank you so much! I realized after I posted what I did wrong. For some reason instead of doing 8 oz x 3, I did .8 x 3 which equals 2.4. Ha, don't ask me why! It's been one of those days! What a waste of wax and FO!

Edited by KB12
  • Like 1

Thank you so much! I realized after I posted what I did wrong. For some reason instead of doing 8 oz x 3, I did .8 x 3 which equals 2.4. Ha, don't ask me why! It's been one of those days! What a waste of wax and FO!

Since you know the error, you can probably save it :)