Candle Testing with Lower Wax Levels

I recently finished my first test burn with a candle that I poured in the Libby square jar from Dollar Tree, and I have a question about my results. I used 4627 with a HTP 104 wick and a FO mixture of cotton candy, watermelon, and marshmallow.  By the end of my testing I still had quite  bit of hang up in the corners and during my testing, but I had to trim the wick a lot because it was a big flame and was consuming wax faster than it was self-trimming.  There was also some wick mushroom bits in the wax pool.  When I poured the candle, I didn't have enough wax to fill the entire jar, so I was only able ti fill it somewhere between the 2/3rds and 3/4th mark.  Would my inability to fill the container to full have an affect on the burn results?  I have some wax on its way to me so I can test some more, but I was just wondering if wax levels play a big part in the burn testing process.

Wax levels can affect the burn results, especially if you are testing for wicks. 

To me, it almost sounds like your wicks were too big, and got some tunneling, which is why it didn't reach the sides, but also why it was consuming fast, had a too large flame, and you were getting mushrooms. 

Hangup in the corners of a square jar can be a bit typical - they are hard jars to wick. 

I've worked quite a bit with this wax and HTP wicks and from my experience the melt pool will not get much bigger than 2.5" regardless of the wick size. When I used the HTP wicks I would use HTP 73 or 83. But I gave up on these because they mushroomed a lot and tilted to the side which would cause my flame to burn off center and give me hang up. I wouldn't use above an HTP 83 with this wax. If this doesn't give the melt pool that you want than I would add another wick. Personally I would double wick this jar bc 4627 can cause some headaches trying to get a full melt pool in a jar with this diameter and only a single wick.

I would suggest that you try pouring with no wicks. Then you can poke holes using a skewer or a sewing needle where you want the wicks to be… Maybe start out with two HTP 62 wicks, but I don't think I would do more than two HTP 73 wicks.

Guest OldGlory

The libbey medium cube (from Dollar Tree) is a tricky one to wick because it is significantly wider at the top than an the bottom. I love 2 size 4 wood wicks from BCN in this container, and I trim one of the size 4 wicks down a smidge at the bottom. Use scissors and actually trim off the side a bit. This reduces the wick to a more appropriate size.

I always have hang up on the first half of the candle but it will slowly catch up. A little hang up is to be expected and should almost all be gone by the time you reach the bottom. And because of the shape of the jar, it doesn't suddenly catch up, but does so slowly..

Wax levels can affect the burn results, especially if you are testing for wicks. 

To me, it almost sounds like your wicks were too big, and got some tunneling, which is why it didn't reach the sides, but also why it was consuming fast, had a too large flame, and you were getting mushrooms. 

Hangup in the corners of a square jar can be a bit typical - they are hard jars to wick. 

I am glad to have my wax level question answered...thank you!.  I have always thought that a wick that was too large would result in quick wax consumption and a melt pool that was too deep...I didn't think that it would cause tunneling which is why my burn results were a little perplexing.  I think I may try a size down and just see how it goes.  I figured that the square jar would be a challenge, but I was up for it. and I do love the look of this jar.

I've worked quite a bit with this wax and HTP wicks and from my experience the melt pool will not get much bigger than 2.5" regardless of the wick size. When I used the HTP wicks I would use HTP 73 or 83. But I gave up on these because they mushroomed a lot and tilted to the side which would cause my flame to burn off center and give me hang up. I wouldn't use above an HTP 83 with this wax. If this doesn't give the melt pool that you want than I would add another wick. Personally I would double wick this jar bc 4627 can cause some headaches trying to get a full melt pool in a jar with this diameter and only a single wick.

I would suggest that you try pouring with no wicks. Then you can poke holes using a skewer or a sewing needle where you want the wicks to be… Maybe start out with two HTP 62 wicks, but I don't think I would do more than two HTP 73 wicks.

So, if you don't mind me asking, if you don't use any HTP wicks in this wax larger than an 83, do you use a different brand of wick when you want to single wick a larger diameter jar, or do you test up to a size 83 and if that doesn't work than you start double winking as you described?  

The libbey medium cube (from Dollar Tree) is a tricky one to wick because it is significantly wider at the top than an the bottom. I love 2 size 4 wood wicks from BCN in this container, and I trim one of the size 4 wicks down a smidge at the bottom. Use scissors and actually trim off the side a bit. This reduces the wick to a more appropriate size.

I always have hang up on the first half of the candle but it will slowly catch up. A little hang up is to be expected and should almost all be gone by the time you reach the bottom. And because of the shape of the jar, it doesn't suddenly catch up, but does so slowly..

I have never used wood wicks before, and the tip to trip a little at the bottom of the wick is genius!!!  I do have a few fo's that I need (you know, how more fo's is a need) from BCN, I just may slip a few wicks in my cart and give them a go!  Thanks!

Guest OldGlory

I failed to mention that I use the 2 size 4 wicks back to back, and I am using 464 in these. One wood wick is 6" long so just cut it in half and then trim it to the right height and width. You'll want to determine how full you will fill your jar first and then allow 1/4" extra wick on top of the wax. It's pretty tough to trim the top after you have poured the wax. And if your wax shrinks back a little as it hardens you'll want to take that into consideration too.

One more thing I do is to put the wood wick at an angle so that it runs parallel with the widest part of the cube jar.

I really love this jar too! Wish a lid was available for it.

I posted this question in another thread, but here it is again - I have a "wood wick newbie" question :) When you double wick ( back to back) do you do anything special to the wicks? As I'm standing here looking at my wicks, I'm wondering what keeps these wicks from separating while burning (or not burning). I have some from NG and theirs are two thin wicks pressed together. It actually looks like one wick. I'm trying to use the ones I purchased from WoodCandleWick.com, but I'm not sure what I'm doing here! LOL! Help please :) :) :)

Think of double wicking this way. One wick will cover one half of the melt pool area and the other wick should overlap while covering the other half of the melt pool area. I hate double wicking and the only container that requires multiple (3) wicks is the Libbey heart. Eventually, the wicks will create melt pools that will overlap each other to form the single melt pool on the surface of the container. Its just more expense and hassle that causes multiple headaches IMHO. If the container won't work with a single wick, I chunk it. HTH

Steve

Guest OldGlory

I posted this question in another thread, but here it is again - I have a "wood wick newbie" question :) When you double wick ( back to back) do you do anything special to the wicks? As I'm standing here looking at my wicks, I'm wondering what keeps these wicks from separating while burning (or not burning). I have some from NG and theirs are two thin wicks pressed together. It actually looks like one wick. I'm trying to use the ones I purchased from WoodCandleWick.com, but I'm not sure what I'm doing here! LOL! Help please :) :) :)

The wick clip keeps the 2 wicks together for the most part. When I burn a candle with 2 ww there is a slight separation at the top - maybe 1/16" - but they keep burning and do the job. I also clip the tops together while the candle firms up.

Aztec's ww are also 2 very thin layers pressed together.