2016 Annual Handcrafted & Cosmetic Guild Conference

puma52

Is anyone planning on attending? Most importantly, have any of you attended one of these in the past? I want to learn more about soap making, but also want to know if they also do presentations on other types of B&B products?  Are the classes really in depth and did you feel you learned enough to justify the cost of the conference? Is the handout information really informative? Thanks for any info.

I have not been, but I have heard from many many people that it is very well worth it, and in a year or two (not 2016) I do plan on going. I do believe they do more than just soapmaking and a lot of B&B informationals as 'classes' as well. 

I can't wait until I can afford the conference, flight, and hotel fees to be able to go... (that's an almost $2000 commitment for me though) 

I have not been, but I have heard from many many people that it is very well worth it, and in a year or two (not 2016) I do plan on going. I do believe they do more than just soapmaking and a lot of B&B informationals as 'classes' as well. 

I can't wait until I can afford the conference, flight, and hotel fees to be able to go... (that's an almost $2000 commitment for me though) 

Shew.... it IS a lot of money and a serious commitment.... my husband and I was kicking this around a little. Don't know if we will go, but I would love to. 3-4 days of learning would be awesome. :) Thank you for your response Jcandleattic! Appreciate it! :)

Edited by puma52

I seen the video on the HSCG site and it sure does look inviting doesn't it? I am wondering that since it is in Florida next year if Zahida from Handmade in Florida may be one of the speakers. Wouldn't that be neat? She makes such beautiful soaps.  In 2017 it will be in Las Vegas and that is way too far out there for me, but man wouldn't that be fun?

Sigh... I would love to go but don't have that kind of money. Unless a bunch of us go together and rent an RV. Wouldn't that be wild?!!

That sounds like a great idea!   My husband calculated today how far it is to drive and it was a little over 700 miles for us and more days off from work....flying sounds much better. But now to check out the rates.  :)

see if you qualify to speak, then it's just travel expenses :)

I can't imagine what I could teach other soapers... especially seasoned soapers. I also have a hearing loss so its hard for me to hear in many situations so Q&A would be problematic for me. Sad, because I love to teach and do a soap demo every year at a store I wholesale at. Doing a demo next weekend as a matter of fact on 'old fashioned lard' soap for the homemaker that wants to learn to make their own soap sourced from local ingredients.

Besides, the travel expenses are also a burden for me.  The rented RV could make the trip possible thou..

I can't imagine what I could teach other soapers... especially seasoned soapers. I also have a hearing loss so its hard for me to hear in many situations so Q&A would be problematic for me. Sad, because I love to teach and do a soap demo every year at a store I wholesale at. Doing a demo next weekend as a matter of fact on 'old fashioned lard' soap for the homemaker that wants to learn to make their own soap sourced from local ingredients.

Besides, the travel expenses are also a burden for me.  The rented RV could make the trip possible thou..

Hey, you would be awesome Candybee!! You have been so helpful to a lot of us and you would do great! I am sure that they could fix you up as far as being able to hear the questions. Between you and Talltayl and all the other awesome soapers here, I feel like I am walking amongst the masters...we appreciate all your help, time and information!! :)

• Like 2

TT-- I will keep that in mind as a possibility for the future. Even if I decided I wanted to teach a course I would still like to attend a conference first to get an idea of what others do.

Whatever happened to the bubbles and lights conference they used to hold here in Winchester, VA? or in my area?

Also, does Soapalooza do any conference type get togethers? I know they have soaping classes they teach. They're in Virginia so its more likely I could attend one in my area.

Edited by Candybee

You know, those are great points Candybee. Soapalooza still does the Boot Camp classes and one on one classes. I did a search on the Bubbles & Lights Conference and it looks like 2013 was the last one? I wouldn't mind going to that either.  I seen that Kelly Bloom is now getting into the Realty world selling houses and has obtained her Real Estate License.  http://www.soapalooza.com/blog/2015/07/ She is getting ready for when her kids leave the house. She said that nothing is going to change as far as Soapalooza, but the Boot Camps are changing to only 4 times a year instead of weekly.  It really does seem that the opportunity for learning how to create products is going the way of YouTube....I do not like that and there is a LOT of wrong information there also. Watching someone who is extremely knowledgeable about soap making, lotion making, whipped butters, lotion bars making, etc instruct and create in front of you where you can participate/ask questions during the process is priceless I think. I have went to the Swift craft monkey site also and there is much to learn, but still there is nothing like being THERE when the masters are instructing. :)