Hot gluing wicks

Hey! I am going to make some fall candles for my friends and families and have these really cool status jars that I want to tell them can be used as drinking glasses after melting the candle. My intention was to use hot glue to hold the wick in place but is it easy to clean out after the candle is finished so that they can use it for drinks?

Make sure you thoroughly test your candles before giving them away. If you do that, then you can see exactly how easy/hard it is to remove the glued wick and if you would then want to use the glass for drinking. Just because you are giving the candles away (instead of selling) doesn't mean the same dangers don't exist. 

Me personally, I wouldn't want to ever use a candle jar as a drinking glass, no matter how well it's cleaned out. 

Depending on how they burn the candle (and how large the jar is, usually within 3inches of diameter), your family/friends may not have to do much cleaning at all. If they were to leave the candle burning for an extended period of time, then the prolonged heat would clean the sides of the jar for them. And when the candle stops burning it would be a simple matter of pouring out the remaining liquid wax. If its not completely clean after being burned, then a brass scrubby and some warm water should remove any residue. I'd also run it through the dishwasher if possible.

As for the glued wick, I find it pops right off. Hot glue doesn't adhere well to glass.

Make sure you thoroughly test your candles before giving them away. If you do that, then you can see exactly how easy/hard it is to remove the glued wick and if you would then want to use the glass for drinking. Just because you are giving the candles away (instead of selling) doesn't mean the same dangers don't exist. 

Me personally, I wouldn't want to ever use a candle jar as a drinking glass, no matter how well it's cleaned out. 

I've never been comfortable using a candle container for drinking even tho I can wash out all the scents, I'm just nervous about what chems might have been absorbed into the glass.  Maybe I just paranoid.

I don't think glass is going to absorb anything and hot glue melts when heated (hence the name) so you can place them in a warm oven and then scrape out the glue or hot gun them. I use the two sided 3m sticky stuff and it comes out pretty easily. People could use the jars for vases, fill them with trinkets or various other decorating ideas. HTH

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

When I used to hot glue wicks, I found that rubbing alcohol helped them pop out very easily. I would pour a little alcohol in the glass (just enough to cover the wick tab) and let it soak for a few minutes. The wick would either be swimming around in the alcohol after or come right out with a little tug. If I had an extremely stubborn wick, I'd let the alcohol sit overnight and it would be free the next morning. 

• 2 months later...

I use hot glue for all of my wicks, and once the candle has burned down, I just heat the container, in a pot of water on the stove, until the leftover wax starts to melt.  Dump it in the trash and use a paper towel to wipe out the container, then wash with soap and hot water.  The hot glue melts off with the wax, and if it doesn't just wipe out, I use my fingernail to pop it off.  I've reused many containers, very easily.