Powdered Goats Milk

Grani L

Have you made soap before?

If not. .you need to dilute your goat milk powder per manufactures instruction. .

Then you will need to enter your soap recipe into a soap calc.. once that is done that will tell you how much GM or water you will need to add.

You can use 100% gm. Or you can go half gm and half water.

Search here on the forum. .you will find lots of very good tips on how to add gm to cp soap.

Insulating may not be needed..as gm can get warm. .but it does not always. .a lot depends also on your fragrance. Hth

• Like 1

I buy my goat milk at Wally World but when using powdered milks I like to be heavy handed with it. Whatever your water amount in the formula, add another 1/2 amount of the powder for a nice rich soap. You can mix up a quart or so and keep it in the fridge for a good long time. I never insulate milk soaps and in fact you might stick the soap in the fridge. I place my goat milk in a steel bowl and then place the bowl down in ice. Pour in your goat milk and stick a thermometer in it. Pour in the lye a little at a time and stir, making sure that the temp never exceeds 100 degrees. Once you have mixed in all your lye and the temp is about 50 or 60 degrees you can move it off the ice. Pour directly into your oils and don't worry if your oils are warmer than your lye solution. Watch the temp again and make sure it doesn't exceed 100 degrees. Divide your soap, add color and swirl. You should have plenty of time to swirl if your oils and fos are not fast moving. You get a rich soap that makes your skin feel silky smooth and clean.  HTH

Steve

• Like 2

Steve-- I love the way you mix in your goat milk. You have the best explanation I have read on that. I normally split my liquid, and use half as goat milk added directly to my oils and the other half, usually water for my lye solution.

I have a question for you. Do you get white soap using your method? My goat milk soaps always discolor to tan or tannish brown.

Oddly enough, I don't get the tan coloration. The color of the finished goat/lye mixture is a light lemon color (never orange) and depending on the formulation can come out very white. The greatest drawback is how the sugars in the milk speed up saponification if over blended. A bare emulsion helps but more often than not I over do the sb and get thick soap (that old chestnut).

Steve

I've never used powdered gm, always fresh from the goat frozen gm. I have to add the lye S. L. O. W. L. Y. -to the frozen milk - literally it takes like over 5 minutes to add the lye, otherwise I get scorched/burnt gm that turns that orange color. However, when adding it slowly, I always get the creamy ecru color, that leaves my soap an off-white unless it partial gels. Then the gelled part turns a med tan color. 

• Like 1

I don't think I have the patience to wait 5 minutes adding lye. I only use fresh goat milk too-- only I don't get it straight from the goat. I have to buy mine from the store. Incredibly, there are many goat farmers in my area but none sell goat milk.

If I don't have fresh goat milk I love to use canned gm. Its absolutely heavenly in CP soap.

Edited by Candybee

I don't think I have the patience to wait 5 minutes adding lye. I only use fresh goat milk too-- only I don't get it straight from the goat. I have to buy mine from the store. Incredibly, there are many goat farmers in my area but none sell goat milk.

If I don't have fresh goat milk I love to use canned gm. Its absolutely heavenly in CP soap.

A lot of goat farmers won't/can't sell their gm because they aren't licensed dairy farms. 

My aunt and cousin raise goats and sheep and have a farm just up the road (about a 10 minute drive from me) and that's how I get it. If it weren't for them, I'd probably not be able to get it straight from the goat either. 

• Like 1