New Candles

So here are my soy candles and the parasoy candle. They are not completely set up yet, but were hard enough to move around to take the pic. 

The 5oz and flowerpot are scented with Peaks Casaba Mist (throws like crazy in my paraffin so thought it would be a good test) 

The 5oz has a CD7 and the flowerpot has a CD3. I'm thinking I should have started with a 4, but will change out as necessary. 

The light blue 16oz is the parasoy. It's 75% J50, 25% 464, scented with my custom blend of Peaks Moonlight Path and Peaks Ocean and I call it "A Walk on the Beach" - it is double wicked with 2 44z's. (that is my typical wick for that jar in my straight J50) 

I will wait until tomorrow to look at the soy candles to see if there is any dipping of if it needs a repour/top-off and to see if any frosting will occur (when does that typically happen? Right away, or gradually over time, or is one of those "it depends" type of answer?)

I didn't wait until "slushy" to pour but it was very cool and set up within about 2.5 minutes after pouring, so I think that's a good temp to pour at. (I know I should have taken actual temps, but honestly forgot. I haven't taken a temp of wax in over 15+ years, so it's just habit to feel the pour pot as my temp guide - I'll try to remember next time) 

Anyway, so far, let me know what you think. 

I know the true test will be the burn, which I will probably do over Memorial weekend. (can't believe that is coming up so fast!) 

post-200-0-59124400-1431810327_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-92885700-1431810362_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

when I was using combo 75% 4786 & 25% soy, I poured at a higher temp (175 or so) & had no problems; still pouring about that temp with a 50/50 combo with no problem, but do need to do a repour.    Also don't find it necessary to wait a week or more to do test burns.

Good luck with your tests; always fun!!!!

Thanks joym. On my parasoy candle I poured exactly the same way I do my typical paraffin containers. I'll also only wait my typical 3 days to test burn the parasoy candle. So far, no repour seems like it's going to be necessary, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. 

I will wait a week or more for the 100% soy candles though, because I want an accurate throw test as well as the wicking.  :) 

Guest OldGlory

Woohooo!! You are underway.

I don't get frosting when I don't use dyes, so you'll probably be fine. If you decided to add dye to 464, it will show up (most likely) within 24 hours and then get worse in the next 48 hours. For me, the temp issue is more of how to keep the tops smooth rather than to keep it from frosting.

I find that 464 needs a week not only for the fragrance to cure, but to get a correct read on the wick. I don't know the science behind it, only know that if you burn it in the first few days you won't get a true "cured" read on the wick.

We all do things our own way. Do what works for you.

I find that 464 needs a week not only for the fragrance to cure, but to get a correct read on the wick. I don't know the science behind it, only know that if you burn it in the first few days you won't get a true "cured" read on the wick.

We all do things our own way. Do what works for you.

Great! Thank you for the advice. 

That's exactly what I'm doing with the 100% soy ones, for those very reasons. 

The parasoy blend one, I'll wait 3-4 days because I know how it "should" burn and throw, so if it doesn't, then I'll wait a bit longer and if it still doesn't burn/throw I'll change out the wicking. 

They all look great!  Love the name of the blue and really like the look of it as well.  You are really making me want to do some blending!

I LOVE blending! I don't think I've used a straight FO out of the bottle for anything other than testing in over a year.

In fact this Casaba Mist is probably one of the firsts in that long. LOL 

You can get some fabulous unique and custom scents that way. I have an Apple Mint that is one of my favorites and the customers snatch it up anytime I have it... Love it... 

I also meant to say thank you to everyone for being so encouraging. I know soy is nothing new, but it is to me, and I just want it to go well. :) 

This forum is one of the best I've been too that is so welcoming and encouraging to anyone wanting to try new and unexplored to them items. 

I love it here. 

They look great! Watch out for the 16oz parasoy jar. I've used that wax with a different soy, Ecosoya 135 and would get sink holes around the wick periodically. But you could see them until you lit the candle and it would snuff out once it burned down to the hole. Only happened with large jars like 16ozer's. Don't know if your combo will do this but mine sure did. Had to poke around the wick all the large jars with a bamboo stick to find the holes just underneath the surface. When I found them I would just heat gun the tops to fill in the hole with wax.