Madder and madder

The instructions for using madder root powder on SMR don't seem to make sense. He says it's better to infuse oil than to add the powder to the soap, because it could be scratchy. But after he heats the madder root in the oil for 2 hours, he says nothing about taking it out. I've discovered that the madder root doesn't actually color the oil like annatto does. It's only that dark color because it's got the powder in it. If you let it sit long enough, the powder settles and there is clear oil on top. So he actually IS adding madder root powder to the soap one way or the other, right? Am I wrong to be confused? I'm wondering what the point is of this non-infusion into the oil.

Okay, I found my own answer. I guess this is good to have here in case anyone looks it up some day.

The answer is that the SMR instructions are bogus. Madder root color can be extracted with water, but not with oil. You can add the powder directly to the soap if you like it with the speckles. If you prefer without speckles, you can make a tea and then filter out the powder.

Extracting madder root color in oil is not a thing.

http://www.annelwatson.com/soapmaking/creative/november/naturalcolorantssoap.html#experiments

I just put the powder directly into my soaping oils. I use about 1-3 tsp for 5 lb batch. Don't remember seeing any specks in the finished soap and I used it for a couple of particular soaps for over a year. They weren't scratchy either. It may be the amount has to do with it or maybe because I SB the batter to blend in colors. I also try to use a minimal amount to achieve the color I want.

It's good to know that adding the powder can also produce a smooth result if one wishes. I guess the main thing is not to waste time following oil infusion instructions. I'm going to try a water extraction because I'm curious. Will post a pic of how it turns out.

Here it is with water extraction.

I kind of casually used a few tablespoons in less then a cup of water and heated. Slowly brought to a boil, then the heat was turned off and it sat on the hotplate cooling gradually.

A few hours after preparing the mixture, I put it through a coffee filter, added a little water to rinse out more color, then filtered again. With evaporation and other losses, I ended up with very close to the amount of madder root water I needed for my lye for 8 oz oils (my little tester soap mold). The color went more purple with the addition of the alkali.

The soap batter was rather intensely colored, but the final shade was light to medium, as shown in the photo.

When I have some time, I will try adding to the lye and adding to the soap batter. Eventually there should be more pics.

post-612-0-53843400-1431239173_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great! I think you got a really nice color. I don't see any specks, very smooth. I always used madder root with a FO sthat discolored to light tan so I would get a very earthy red finish. It was perfect for my spice soap.