Got a mess, what happened???

I made a test candle with 2 drops of Magenta, 1 tsp per pound of sterene, one oz per pound of scent. I was going for controlled mottle and I got a big mess. There was a PUDDLE of magenta colored oil on top of the candle this morning! When I took the candle out of the mold, there was a puddle in the bottom of the mold too! The candle was DRIPPING with oil! After wiping off the candle, it seems ok but I won't know till I burn it.

WHAT HAPPENED?????:eek::shocked2::confused:

Soja

Could be a few things, but first thought is the not enough sterine (steric) in the mix. Should add by Tablespoons and there are some that say never use less than 3 T to a pound of wax (quoting Bob Sherman). But the lack of steric in the candle could have led to the bleeding, since it helps with absorption in higher concentrations.

Other thing, maybe you didn't mix your FO in.

Last thing, most mottles will seep, so let the candle have a day or two to dry out.

Definitely one tsp per lb is not enough stearic, though I don't have any experience with 1343. My mottles come out a little damp now if I use 2% stearic by weight per lb and 6% FO load, but when I frop FO to 5% they come out pretty dry, and I get pretty good mottle. I do use Yaley wax from Michaels, so I'll have to retest when I get different wax, but hope this helps!

Also I weigh the wax and stearic in grams, since it can be more precise. When I make a 3 x 4 pillar, I weigh out 12 oz wax, which is same as 340 grams. 2% stearic works out to 7 grams, and 6% FO load is 20 grams.

geek

I do use Yaley wax from Michaels, so I'll have to retest when I get different wax, but hope this helps!
I suspect the Yaley Premium is pretty good stuff. You'd think there might be all kinds of good waxes on the market for making mottles, but there don't seem to be. My question is, how do you like the burn? At 148 MP (a little high) I'd think it might be hard to design a self-consuming pillar.

I thought stearic was supposed to supress mottling? What I get is either NO mottling or ALL mottling. I am after a small amount of mottling. Something like TopOfMurryHill's post of a while ago where you had a deep red with just a little (but deep and gorgeous) mottling. You said you were testing wax formulas.

I have put that amount of stearic in my other mottles, some of which I have put on the gallery. It always comes out too much or not at all but it NEVER bled like this one.:undecided

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Thank you all for responding. See Ya tomorrow.

Soja

Vybar inhibits mottling. Stearic will help hold the FO in without inhibiting mottling. I'm sure past a certain point stearic would inhibit it too, not sure, I have added up to 3 tbls. with no problems.

The last time I ordered stearic the supplier sent me palm stearic by mistake, rather than send it back I decided to try it and the palm stearic actually seems to help the mottling.

1 tsp is definitely not enough to hold the oil in any wax that I have ever tried.