Pour Temp for 6006

For those of you who use 6006, what temp do you pour around when pouring into the 16 oz apothecary jar? I poured around 175, but still had to heat gun the top to smooth it out after it solidified. One candle had a big hole under the surface. Should I pour cooler?

For those of you who use 6006, what temp do you pour around when pouring into the 16 oz apothecary jar? I poured around 175, but still had to heat gun the top to smooth it out after it solidified. One candle had a big hole under the surface. Should I pour cooler?

I forgot to add: after I pour them I put them in the oven, uncovered, overnight so they cool slowly. 

I hope this is helpful.

Guest OldGlory

Hi Grani, 6006 can be tempermental. I've been using this wax for at least 5 years for a wholesale client.

Whether I add soy or not, whether the ambient temperature in my house is warm or cold, and regardless of the temperature at which I pour, I will still get sink holes in some of my smaller jars. I finally gave up trying to avoid the sink holes and started doing a second pour. It is so much easier and less time consuming to just set aside a small amount of wax and repour the smaller jars. When there is a hole in the surface I also poke relief holes to make sure my repour doesn't also develop a hole. Never had a hint of a sink hole problem in my larger jars.

When you say that you smooth out the surface you must be referring to a dip in the surface instead of a rough surface like you can get with soy. A dip can be easily fixed with a repour as well.

Thanks a lot. I will experiment with all the options - I have a question tho -- So as far as process goes - Chuck, with your process, I would add the FO at a higher temp? I just have the fear of the FO Burning off. I am experimenting all FO's so far at around 6%. -

Fragrance oil isn't going to burn off. Lower pour temps will get you jump lines and poor adhesion to the jar wall IMHO. If you place a thermometer in your wax and monitor the temp, you'll notice that the temp drops pretty rapidly once it goes into the pour pot. I keep my pour pot on an electic plate to maintain 185 degrees during the session. The secret to a strongly scented candle is to use high quality fragrance oils and to understand how the fragrance is constructed. Top notes, middle and bottom notes react to being heated and are detected in intervals. The formulation is affected by the efficiency of your wicking system and the configuration or shape of the container. Fragrance oil and wax do not blend to become one element IMHO. The fragrance oil is suspended in the wax and that is achieved through stirring or agitation. I stir my pour pot all through the session to make sure that heavy oils do not fall out of suspension and wind up on the bottom. I've even used a hand mixer to blend with, in an effort to homogenize the two oils but the results are pretty much the same. Buy a Votivo candle and experience what a high-end fragranced candle is all about. Well formulated, high quality (no fillers) fragrance oil with adequate wicking in a straight sided jar is the formula for a great product. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

• 5 months later...

Let's bump this up I have issues.. After using 6006 fromAztecfor 4 yrs I am now getting sink holes ugh... What can I do to prevent them and how do I fix them? I've been heat gunning it until it fills the whole? Is this ok? I use lib bey 12oz cube 6006/5% soy blend, 62wicks 8% go pour at150 , heat in a bun cart... I need help I have a new acct opening and I can't have this...

I'd pour hotter and make sure your wick is snug. Try 15% soy and see what you think. HTH

Ok so pour at like 170? Heat to 200, add fo and then pour ? I stir for 2min...chuck explain "make sure the wick is snug" are you taking about when I use my wick bars?... O I will try 15% soy I have excel and 464 which do you recommend

Guest OldGlory

I use 6006 (4 or 5 years of wholesale accounts) and used to get those holes all the time in my smaller jar, but NEVER in my larger jars. I had a heck of a time figuring out what was going wrong... but I finally did.

The jar is cooling too fast and pulling the wax away from the center. You need to slow down the cooling process. I pour so many of these (my current order is for 378 of the small jar and 248 of the large jar) that I put a shelf unit in my bathroom, a small heater, and allow the candles to set up in there where I can control the temperature. If you are pouring a dozen or so, just place a box over them for a few hours while they cool. That is the key.

Once in a while, when my house is especially cool, one candle that cools faster than the rest will get a hole and I just heat gun it until the hole fills.

Thanks OG I told my husband I think that's the problem.. I used to put a box over them and it was fine I cant remember maybe one...Now I have my bun cart to store them in and I thought it would work well but out of 10 candles at least 3-4 have sink holes...I don't want to switch waxes I love this wax but I do want a little more throw... I use 62 zinc wicks with the 12oz libbey cube and the 12oz status jar.. I tried 60 z it didn't do well.. I also used to double wick the libbey with2 51z but it got to hot I think.... I wish I could get a lid for that square jar...I love it.. now im working with the 80z status I tried a 44z wick and for some reason when it got to the bottom it had so much soot it was horrible ... I tried htp83 it was ok for a few scents but not all I wish I could get the zinc to work....

Guest OldGlory

I also boost my 6006 with a bit of extra soy, zinc wicks, but I use 6% FO. I find that my 464 candles throw better, but my client wants the 6006 in jars because they insist on color - and as we all know, 464 frosts! They don't like frost. There is a bit of compromise involved.

I have tried Premiers but keep going back to the zincs. My clients are happy and that's the bottom line for me.

If I was smart and wealthy, I would manufacture a lid for that Libbey med. cube!

PS - your bun cart has cold spots!

Edited by OldGlory

Ok OG I ordered these lids and was assured they fit... They do not .. So I have been trying to fit an insert or something fitted to make it stay... Well I found something but I don't think it's very professional I'm not sure...here's a few picturespost-9384-0-20835400-1445267218_thumb.jppost-9384-0-93933300-1445267232_thumb.jppost-9384-0-81265900-1445267253_thumb.jp

Guest OldGlory

The lid looks great! I say go for it. If I find anything else I'll let you know.

If you haven't tried a woodwick yet, buy the size 4 ww from BCN and put 2 back to back (cut it in half so you only still use one wick). It's the perfect size for that cube.

really I will have to try it out... so you think the lid is ok? this is my issue.. the insert is black adhesive foam. it doesn't look trashy or anything ..but its not the traditional top of the candle.. what do you think

Guest OldGlory

I do like the looks of the lid. Is this for a wholesale account? If a customer reached for the candle and picked it up by the lid, would the lid come off easily? If so, I would worry about the customers breaking the glass.

Guest OldGlory

Vanilla Voodoo is one that is highly recommended by several people here on the board. I'm not sure about the Sugar Cookie.

Best wishes on your store opening adventure!!

I tested 6006 in every kind of formulation and found that the 85/15 formula accomplished two goals. Improved the jar wall adhesion and the hot throw. I try to pull the wicks tight and straight in the jar and pour into room temp jars at 185 degrees. The jars cooled at room temp and were not covered. I would use the 464 to mix and try 6 to 7% fo load. Fragrance Buddy has a duplication of Royale Sugar Cookie that is supposed to be pretty good.  HTH

Steve

• Like 2