Hawaiian Sandalwood

Candybee

Scented with AH/RE Hawaiian Sandalwood. Finally got around to soaping this. This fragrance originated from Tradewinds and was one of my favorites from them. AH has tried to formulate it to be the same but it just doesn't smell the same to me. Very weak OOB. In the soap after one day its still very weak and smells more like a paperback book than sandalwood.

Anyway here are some pics in the mold and cut. I colored with red sandalwood powder and cocoa powder. The cocoa powder it the darker chocolaty color and the red sandalwood is the paler brown color. It left lots of specks in the soap so I am not going to use it. Its the first time I tried red sandalwood. Its from Soap Making Resource as a natural colorant.

post-2172-0-13124000-1426008787_thumb.jp

post-2172-0-79280800-1426008800_thumb.jp

post-2172-0-31471300-1426008821_thumb.jp

post-2172-0-53014600-1426008858_thumb.jp

post-2172-0-26906400-1426008876_thumb.jp

You know I am rethinking the red sandalwood. The specks are kinda growing on me and with a 'wood' scent they kind of give it a natural woodsy character. I am liking the use of natural colorants in some of my soaps too. So I use them when they work. These seem to do just fine so maybe I will keep them. :)

Hopefully the scent will cure. You never know. I bought a whole lb so I sure hope it comes out.

This is one of my new recipes for a tropical butter soap. Its got lots of butters in it. I just tried a sliver of soap. Even thou its only a day old, (I know... I should wait til it cures!) it feels awesome. Its very creamy!! :)

• Like 1

This is one of my new recipes for a tropical butter soap. Its got lots of butters in it. I just tried a sliver of soap. Even thou its only a day old, (I know... I should wait til it cures!) it feels awesome. Its very creamy!! :)

I never wait for a full cure to try a sliver. Especially on a new recipe. I can usually (not always, but usually) tell if it's a keeper or a dud of a recipe. :) 

Guest OldGlory

Tradewinds Sandalwood was so good. It's a shame AH/RE didn't get that right.

But your soaps are lovely as always Candybee!

Thanks everyone! I had fun making this one.

OG-- I miss Tradewinds FOs terribly! Its too bad the owner was too sick with cancer to get it together enough to sell the company. If that had happened the FOs could have been preserved. AH was supposed to have taken them over but only sells the Hawaiian Sandalwood. I am dissapointed they didn't get the formulation right. I suppose it has to do with being phthalate free or something.

The soaps smell better today.... more sandalwoodsy! Keeping my fingers crossed the curing brings out the natural wood scent. Only time will tell.

Your soaps are so pretty Candybee! I hope you end up really liking the Hawaiian Sandalwood because of what all everyone else has said about this scent. I am thinking of trying it out when I reorder the Toasted Marshmallow and OMH from them. :) Keep us posted.

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

I haven't tried it in wax so don't have an opinion about it. If you can wait a few weeks on the soap to cure I can tell you if the scent holds or not. I can say that right now it is very mild. The sandalwood is there but it is very light right now. Hoping it keeps improving week by week.

Also, the colors on the soaps are becoming darker and richer looking. The cocoa is getting more cocoa color and the red sandalwood is turning from a pinkish brown to a medium brownish brown and the specks are still there. Looking good!

Edited by Candybee