WICK QUESTIONS

Got 2 sizes of the zinc wicks and can't wait to try & see how they do. I also got a few of the larger tins - 16oz. just to make things more complicated for myself.  I was looking at more of the glass containers and I *think* I may be comfortable with the 10oz. apothocary, but that's down the road.

I really like the 6006 though, and the CD wicks do work well with it, but I just need to try these zincs. And I was mistaken - its Candle Science who has the cubes I like, not Peaks - I'm just always creepin' on Peaks site the most, lol.

When I was on the wicksunlimited site a couple of weeks ago, it did say the zincs burned cooler, but wax supplier sites: some state they burn hotter, some sites say cooler.  So, hence the confusion.

Thanks again to everyone for all your helpful tips and advice - very much appreciated!!

Trust Wicks Unlimited for wick info. Bruce is a GOD when it comes to knowing his wicks ;)

@Flicker: the 8 oz. tins are 3", and I believe the 16 oz. tins are 3-3/4".  They are straight up & down.  The 10oz. apothocary jar - I am not sure, but seems to be maybe 4" or 4-1/4?  I haven't bought them, but I am thinking I will in the future.

Also - thank you for the info on the wicks.

I'm grateful to everyone on here passing along their knowledge. :)

In exactly a 3" diameter using 6006 I use a CD 18. It burns beautifully for me. Melt pool at 4 hours is exactly 1/2" deep.
I would say the 3.75" I'd test maybe a CD 22 in. That one is going to need a pretty hefty wick!

In a 4" diameter I personally use two CD 10's with most scents. I get awesome throw and burns using those. Some scents need two 12's.

I've used this wax now for about the last 6-7 years. I love it!

Well, I don't know about the larger tins because I haven't done anything with them yet, but this past weekend I just made 8oz.  tins using the CD10 w/ 1oz. fo/per pound. I will wait another week probably before I burn them & see how they do.  When I tested them without fo, the 8 & 10 were very similiar, and burned nice, but went with 10.

I guess I will find out when I burn them, and report the results here. 

Whether a success or epic fail, it still brings me closer to my goal - Live & learn.

I have to wait till the weekend to test the zincs, unless it pounds snow here tonight & tomorrow like predicted, then I'm not going to work - going to test the zinc wicks.

THanks for the advice sharing what has worked for you - very much appreciated!

I mean no offense, & you've got years of experience over me, but even being a 'newb', I cannot possibly see using a CD18 wick in 3"w x 2"h tin.  Even the CD12 seemed a bit too large when I test burned w/o fo. Of course I could be very wrong, if so I apologize in advance. 

The 16 oz. I am trying the 60 zinc, which I poured today and also the 51 zinc in 8oz. tins. I won't be test burning these until the weekend at the earliest.

I mean no offense, & you've got years of experience over me, but even being a 'newb', I cannot possibly see using a CD18 wick in 3"w x 2"h tin.  Even the CD12 seemed a bit too large when I test burned w/o fo. Of course I could be very wrong, if so I apologize in advance. 

The 16 oz. I am trying the 60 zinc, which I poured today and also the 51 zinc in 8oz. tins. I won't be test burning these until the weekend at the earliest.

This is why wick testing is so important. What works great for one person, may very well not work at all for another, due to any number of circumstances. 

For example, a 60z in my wax in a 16oz tunneled so horribly I couldn't use it, but I have heard of others using the same wick/wax combo with outstanding results. 

Also you'd be amazed what a difference the addition of additives - including FO - can do to a burn. What burns great without FO, can sometimes not burn correctly with the addition of anything, including FO, and then the testing starts all over. 

Test, test, test. That's the name of the game when it comes to candle making. :) 

My gut feeling tells me the CD would be a better wick for the tins than a zinc. I used zincs in my parasoy blend in apothecary jars. In my case the zincs worked better for me than CDs. But I never used tins so IDK which would be best. Good luck with the zincs. Let us know how they do.

Yes, I agree with the zincs being cooler than cd's. I tested zincs extensively back in the day. I'm a cd girl for my containers. So much so that if I can't get an fo to work with them, it's a goner. That's rare, but it's a fact. I'm also passionate about my molded candles. They are truly my first love when I started in 2001. I also exclusively use LX wicks for my pillars and votives. If I test an fo that will not work well with my lx's it's gone LOL. I'm not one to waste several months on the perfect wick for an fo and start the process all over again. I certainly do not have the time or money. I sell the safest candle I can possibly make. period :)

• Like 1

@Candybee: i like the cd's, but just have to try the zincs for myself.  I only got sample packs of them, so no big investment there.  If they work - fine, if not, oh well.  I will however test them in the jars I like as well as the cd's, just haven't gotten that far yet.

and Oceangazer1: my 'plan' is similar regarding fo's, and the safety issue is big with me.   

My family & friends mean the world to me so I don't want to be giving any hazardous candles out.  When I started this, I told them all about my new hobbie, and they keep asking when they are going to get some candles.  I try explaining: 'hey, its not as easy as I thought:  melt wax, throw in some color & scent, pour it in a container/jar with a wick, wait till it cools, and...BADDA-BING - SCENTED CANDLE!' You know, like the Candle Science video!!

They don't believe how this is truly a science with multipel variables that can/will effect the outcome! 

I have given out 'testers' to some when I used the hassle-free, and got positive feedback, and took note of those fo's that were weak. so - not too bad.  All using cd wicks. 

thank you all for your comments. :)

Success!  HOLY ROSES!!

decided to burn one last night because I just couldn't wait any long,  and WOW, I am loving it!  Sparked it up again this morning - its been on my dining room table, and I smell it in the living room, and burning perectly!

I can hardly believe the excellent hot throw - I LOVE this wax!  I had a really strong feeling I would.

6006 wax, 8 oz. tins, CD 10 wick, 1 oz. fo of Peak's rose bouquet = AWESOME!

Even though not my favorite scent, just making a successful awesome candle has me thrilled!!

I know this doesn't mean ALL my fo's will throw this great, so just let me  bask in my small achievement.

thank you all for your tips, advice, and wealth of knowledge. :)

I wanted to edit my post above - but the 'edit' button not there:

Candybee: i *think* you're going to be right about the CD;s being better for the tins, now that I'm loving how the cd is performing with this wax.  I did pour testers with the zincs, so I'll still test. 

I'm def. going to test the zincs in glass containers though - I want to do glass w/ color - because everyone likes the the purdy colors.

I second that. Congrats on your candle! But don't forget to burn it all the way down. You will notice that the candle burns different during the second half than it does in the first so sometimes it may mean a possible wick change. But you really should wait until the candle has fully hardened. It takes several days. I usually wait 3 days to a week to test burn.

Congrats Sojourner...it's so great when it all comes together!!

You go girl!!  :D

I LOVE you, Chefmom!  :) lol!!!!!

And thanks for 'seconding' that, Candybee!!

And yes, I know about the test burning & curing - I poured these last Saturday.  I wanted to wait another week, for a full 2 week cure, but just couldn't stand the wait anymore.

I poured testers of the zinc wicks on Thursday, & will test burn those probably next Saturday, possibly sooner but doubt I'll have time.  I wish I could do it at work, lol.   

I work with all men, and my boss, who is the VP, is a royal ball-buster.  so he isn't going to be having any of that, unfortunately.  But he is compassionate about animals - when my dog was really sick & towards her end, I brought her to work with me.  I told him straight up:  either she comes with me, or I don't go in, because no way was I going to leave her alone at home all day.

I don't think I can get away with that with candles, lol.

I poured the16 oz. tins last Thursday and started burning it Tuesday & here are my results:

zinc wicks with 6006 wax, 60 zinc wick, 1 oz. fo/pp. = again, awesome hot scent throw.  Although the wick seems maybe a tad too large, it still burned very nice, very even.  most def. gave me that strong scent I want.  I will in the future just use CD wicks with the tins, though, but just wanted to see how the zinc wick performed, and it did not disappoint.

I mainly got the zincs to use in the glass apoth. jars, and just haven't gotten the chance yet to get them.  However, I will be testing them first with the 51 zinc wick & & CD 14 wick, and will post my results.

Even though this is a parrafin/soy blend wax, the zinc wicks work extremely well with it. 

I hope this helps someone. :)

Edited by Sojourner

I have been testing 6006 in straight sided jelly jars and status jars with cd wicks and as much as I love my cd's they have been terrible with this wax! Soot, soot, soot! and crazy burns.! I tested CD 6 & 7's in the jj's with one ounce pp. Actually the 6's gave me more soot. I also had the same results with LX's.

I'm going to try the zincs with 6006. CD's have been awesome in 464!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have done quite a bit of testing and said I would come back and post my results and hope it helps someone out there.

I am using the 6006 wax, which I absolutely love, and did ALL testing with 1 oz. fo per lb, and 1/2 color chip.  I only tested CD wicks and zinc wicks. So with that in mind, lets get on with the show............

8 oz. tins: 

wicks:

CD 10 worked with most  fo's tested, with a couple requiring CD 12

51 zincs worked great with ALL the fo's I tested

16 oz. tins:

wicks:

CD 14 worked well with all the fo's I tested in this size tin - I didn't test as many fo's in this tin as I did the 8 oz. tin

60 Zinc - worked great with all fo's tested so far

The dreaded 16 oz. Apothecary Jars:

mmmBoy - I really wanted to try to get away with single wicking this jar, but after a few failed attempts, I gave up.  And by a 'few', I mean 3, lol.  I did read somewhere that someone had successfully single wicked this jar using an htp1212, but I really didn't want to even try anymore, so did the double wicking with the following:

(2) 51 zinc - well, this was way too much, but wow, did it give awesome scent throw - strong, but the flames got a bit wild.  I still burned it all the way without incident

(2) CD 6 - no go. 

(2) CD 4, which I haven't even burned yet

(2) 36-24-24 zincs - to my amazement, this actually burned great with the fo & color used.  I thought for sure these would be too small, but I've got it burned over 3/4 of the way, and its darned near perfect. 

I also have double wicked with (2) 44 zincs with a different fo which I haven't gotten a chance to burn yet - hopefully I will start this one & the one with the CD's this weekend. 

My wick choice:  Hands down, I got a stronger hot throw using the zinc wicks.  I also liked the burn characteristics better and they just don't seem as.....'fussy'? as the CD's in that the zincs seem more 'adabptable' to varying fo's, if that makes sense. These are the only wicks I will be using for now on, and decided to only use the 16 oz. tins and the 16 oz. apothecary. I, and everyone else close to me, like bigger candles, but the 8 oz. tins were good for beginning.

In my testing, I burned these every which way - hours-long incremental burns every day, power burning for up to 9 hours straight, etc.  A note about the tins: even during 'power burns', I was able to wrap my hands around the tins and they were not hot.  Warm, yes - but by no means hot.  Only until they reached towards bottom did they get hot where I couldn't do that.  This was true with both the CD & zinc wicks. 

Another part of my testing:  I did not trim a single wick.  Not one.  I wanted to test how they will be used. I have never trimmed a wick in my life, and I know those I give these have not either, and will not, even if I tell them to do so. 

So, all systems a go-go for my tested combos. 

I used fo's from Peak's, The Flaming Candle, and Candlwic, and I love all the fo's I got from these places.  Also, when I went to Candlewic a few weeks ago they gave me, at no charge, several sample packs of zinc wicks to try, which I thought was very kewl - and the ladies there were very nice & helpful, as are the people from Flaming Candle.  I only ever ordered off the internet with Peaks, but I am sure they are great as well.

If anyone wants additional info and/or more specifics, just pm me. I will be more than happy to share.

Again, I hope this helps others, and in turn, I want to thank those who have helped me - you know who you are, and I am supremely grateful!!! :) :) :) :)