lye soap?

country bee

I get this question and want to be honest in my answer. " Is this lye soap" I use sfic soap base. My answer is "well lye soap is made with sodium hydroxide and natural oils and butters .So is mine.Is this  right or wrong?

No one ever asks is this cold processed,it is always is this lye soap?What do you think? Thank you.

This is a difficult question to answer. Generally, when people ask me if it is lye soap, they want to know if the soap is free of detergents/surfactants. Sometimes the answer they seek is more nostalgic, as in, "is this the old fashioned lard soap like grandma used to make?"

SFIC and other melt and pour bases do contain some "soap". What separates them from what was coined "natural" soap is that they also contain ingredients (like surfactants/detergents, added glycerin, glycols, sometimes alcohols and other chemical additives) to allow them to melt repeatedly with heat, then resolidify.

• Like 1

Yes, what TT said, but to expound a bit, also please be aware that no matter what, all soap (including m&p - even the best kind) start off with lye added as an ingredient, and all soap (when made correctly) in it's final form has no active lye present, only saponified oils. (well, not only saponified oils, some are free floating if there was a SF calculated in - etc., but you get my drift. :)

I guess what really needs to be known is why the question is asked as TT had said. 

Is it because they don't want "old fashioned lye soap" or is it because they want to know if it's "all natural" or because they are just repeating some ploy/marketing they have heard over the years? 

Because knowing that information, will also help you to best answer the question. 

Edited by Jcandleattic

I used to get that question a lot when I made M&P. I would answer honestly and tell them its melt and pour soap. What most people  really want to know is if the soap was handmade using lye. You can explain that all true soap needs lye to make it and that lye was used to make the M&P base. If they want to know more you can explain that you melt the base and use a recipe to make your soap.

I find that most people are just curious and usually want to learn. If you say 'yes' its a lye soap I think that is misleading them. Best to be honest and be proud of the soap you make. If you have a well made product it doesn't matter which soap making process is used as the quality will make all the difference.

• Like 2