A little confused... Please help!!!

Gm all!!!.... Ok so I read somewhere a ratio for an 8oz candle they used 7oz of wax to one oz of FO, which gave them the 8oz needed for the 8oz candle... So I decided to try this combo bcuz I only wanted to make one candle... I used 7oz of 4627 wax, 8oz straight sided jelly jar, no dye, 51-32-18 zinc wick and 0.9 oz of Blueberry muffin FO... Made it last week, let it cure for a few days. Started burning it... The throw is amazing!!!! As of right now this is my 3rd burn... I basically been power burning it... My question is what FO percentage load would this be considered? I'm totally stumped on this bcuz I only used 7oz of wax.... TIA

• Like 1

I didn't even take this into account when I used their formula. Once I sat down to write out my index card I was like "oh crap" so I put 10-12% FO load, bcuz I wasn't quite sure, but I figured it was in that range... Now that I'm actually burning the candle I would like to have a better idea of what % it is for testing purposes...

I get just under 13% load so the 12.9% sounds about right. 13% is 9.1oz. Anyway that is a buttload of FO for a candle. Way too much IMO. I would start out with 6% and adjust from there by testing.

So to make 8 oz of scented wax use: 7.5oz wax + .5oz FO = 8oz. This will give you approximately 6% FO load. I rounded it off slightly but that is close enough.

8oz of scented wax sounds like too much to me. My jelly jars take approximately 7 - 7.5oz of scented wax so the FO would be less than .5oz.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I get just under 13% load so the 12.9% sounds about right. 13% is 9.1oz. Anyway that is a buttload of FO for a candle. Way too much IMO. I would start out with 6% and adjust from there by testing.

So to make 8 oz of scented wax use: 7.5oz wax + .5oz FO = 8oz. This will give you approximately 6% FO load. I rounded it off slightly but that is close enough.

8oz of scented wax sounds like too much to me. My jelly jars take approximately 7 - 7.5oz of scented wax so the FO would be less than .5oz.

As always you guys are such a tremendous help!!!! Thank you soooo much!!!

• Like 2

Onlineconversion.com became my best tool

7 ounces of wax plus .9 ounces of FO gives you a total of 7.9 ounces

So .9 is 11.39% FO

When using the chart you put the number of ounces of FO in the top line and then the total amount of wax and FO together in the bottom line to calculate

I always use the bottom one as opposed to the what is blank percent of blank option

Guest OldGlory

Candle making will require some good math skills.

You want to determine the the % load of FO you are using? You divide the amount of FO by the amount of wax.

.9 (oz of FO) divided by 7 (oz of wax) = 12.85%

What does the manufacturer recommend for the FO load in your wax? A maximum of 10% You have exceeded the maximum fragrance load by almost 30%. Back to the drawing board! LOL

Onlineconversion.com became my best tool

7 ounces of wax plus .9 ounces of FO gives you a total of 7.9 ounces

So .9 is 11.39% FO

When using the chart you put the number of ounces of FO in the top line and then the total amount of wax and FO together in the bottom line to calculate

I always use the bottom one as opposed to the what is blank percent of blank option

Which category do you go under to use this conversion chart?

Okd glory are you not supposed to add back in the amount of FO for the total amount used?

.9 divided by 7.9 rather than 7.....I thought I read somewhere to do that with the conversion tool and if not I guess I was doing it wrong and my percents are off! Lol

Candle making will require some good math skills.

You want to determine the the % load of FO you are using? You divide the amount of FO by the amount of wax.

.9 (oz of FO) divided by 7 (oz of wax) = 12.85%

What does the manufacturer recommend for the FO load in your wax? A maximum of 10% You have exceeded the maximum fragrance load by almost 30%. Back to the drawing board! LOL

I used someone else's combo without thinking what the FO load would be... After I made the candle I sat down to write out my notecard, that's when I realized I didn't know what % it would be, so I guestimated around 10-12% but was trying to figure out what the FO load was because the scent throw is amazing

Guest OldGlory

.9 (amount of FO) div. by 7. (amount of wax) is the % of FO in the wax.

If you add the fo and wax together you get a % of the total - not a % of FO in the wax.

I use 1 oz fo per 15 oz of wax for two 8 oz candles. That's almost 7% and it works out quite nicely. I used to use 1 oz per 16 oz of wax and got a little waste (leftover), so I came up with that formula. I use .5 oz of fo per 8 oz of wax for one candle (testers). The little more seemed to be just right for the application. It doesn't change the cost equation and there's no waste.

• Like 1

I just use my cheapo hand calculator and this simple method to calculate FO load. If I want to end up with 8oz of scented wax using 6% fragrance load I do this:

8 x 6% = .48oz (for FO)

8 - 6% = 7.52oz (for wax)

If you add .48 + 7.52 you get 8oz scented wax. Easy Peasy!

In order to make it easy on myself I round off numbers. so .48 can be .5 and 7.52 can be 7.5. Now when you are working with larger numbers do the same.

Say you want to make a dozen jars filling them each with 8oz of scented wax. Do this:

12 x 8 x 6% = 5.76 oz FO (can be rounded to 5.75 oz FO)

12 x 8 - 6% = 90.24 oz wax (can be rounded to 90.25 oz wax)

Another thing I do is make myself a pouring chart on a spreadsheet and post it over my candle making area. So when it comes time to make my candles all the math is done and charted for me.

Edited by Candybee