Open top lids

I haven't tried them but McCall's candles use to sell something similar that one used to get a wax pool quicker than without.  Not sure if they recommended keeping the cap on after the pool was started (as described below).  Here is their description:  

Candle Starters are our venting caps for our 16oz & 26oz size Classic Jar Candle. (Not needed for our Double Wick Classic).

Though our jar candles burn evenly and liquefy into their own heavenly bliss, this offers little “jumpstart” on that process (which is especially nice if you do not have a lot of lengthy burning time). Once the wax pool is started, the caps can be removed (Carefully removed; they will be hot!).

Goldie

Anytime you are burning a candle, a lid should be taken off. I believe jars with lids like that are to help people smell the candle without taking the lid off, not to be burned with them on.

Me personally? I would never burn a candle with a lid on. That's inviting a whole other set of problems/headaches with wicking that is just not needed. 

This is what the supplier said about these lids.

The Original Star Mason Lid and Candle Topper for regular mouth jars! Our locally crafted Star lid is an attractive and easy way to spruce up your mason jar candles and help them burn more completely and cleanly. Many customers simply prefer the option of burning a mason jar candle without seeing the jar threads. Helps to expedite full melt pool and prevent "tunneling". They also make fun drink toppers for that special event. These lids can also add a nice touch to your specialty food product in conjunction with Item 31000 (Ball Home Canning Lids). MADE in the USA.

I think that they would do what your McCall's label said and give it a jump start by keeping the heat in the jar to create a fuller melt pool faster, Goldie. And I do agree that would be great for people who don't burn their candles long.

Jcandleattic, it does seem wrong to burn with a lid on. Testing would have to occur.

I think I might have to get one and try it.

I was given lids similar to those some years ago.  They didn't have screw on threads, but just plain tin that sat on top of a container candle.  One about the size of a jelly jar and one larger.  They only fit nicely on one candle I owned over the years.

Although what the company says may be true, the reason for using them that I saw was to keep the flame from flickering.  I kid you not, it's a science thing....my husband explained it to me, but it was over my head.  Especially a jar that is deeper than wide....when the candle is half full the wick will start to bounce and dance because of the different air flow inside the jar or container.  Put this cap on the top and the wick will burn straight and true.  It's pretty cool to see for yourself.

However I did discover that putting on the lid also made the scent throw weaker...so I stopped using them.  Something about the large opening in the center is for the heat to rise and the smaller at the sides allows the air to flow back to the flame.  If you have any try it, it's cool to see.  Science!! :)

I always thought those type lids were for smelly jellys and not candles.

Right? Me too. I don't think I would ever use one on top of a candle but that's just me. The very slight flickering I get in a jar container candle is not worth the risk of the jar getting too hot by containing the heat the lid will, and have a potential broken jar. 

That's JMO though... 

Guest OldGlory

My opinion only - someone is going to burn themselves on it. The metal will get really hot.

The suppliers are not responsible for things you make, even if they recommend a method of use. You are the one who will get sued if someone burns their hand. It's not something I would offer.