Marketing skills

Candybee

I have taken a few local SBS classes for small businesses. But they don't really have much in the way of marketing and I really would like to learn some professional marketing skills. Unfortunately I don't have the money for taking a course so it will have to be on my own.

Does anyone have any books or websites they know of that help you learn more about marketing? So far I have been learning by the seat of my pants but its not the same as having a textbook or dedicated forum/blog. Just looking for resources that will increase the skills I have learned on my own.

• Like 2

I only have 2 books that I haven't really looked into or read yet so have no idea if they are helpful or not, but it's just the Everything series on marketing and then the Marketing for Dummies book. 

I'm sure there are better ones out there, I just don't have them or know what they are. 

Good luck... 

Have you checked your local library? Chances are they have a decent selection of college texts on file. And likely a few magazines to glean ideas from.

The most memorable thing I took away from school are your 4P's: Product, Price, Place, Promotion. It all boils down to that.

Want to get more Price for your Product? Place it in a market where that price is acceptable and Promote it.

It is how a tube of lip balm that anyone can make sells for $14 at Sephora and yet someone of the exact same tube struggles to make $2 on it at a local craft show.

About as important is your brand. The brand of a small business is what people say about you/it when you're not in the room.

Edited by TallTayl
  • Like 2

I have taken a few local SBS classes for small businesses. But they don't really have much in the way of marketing and I really would like to learn some professional marketing skills. Unfortunately I don't have the money for taking a course so it will have to be on my own.

Does anyone have any books or websites they know of that help you learn more about marketing? So far I have been learning by the seat of my pants but its not the same as having a textbook or dedicated forum/blog. Just looking for resources that will increase the skills I have learned on my own.

Hi Candybee,

I get an email every week from these folks and it is very imformative. At the top of the main page to the right is where you can sign up. There is a ton of info that you can glean from these folks. A lot of it has to do with business owners that have a storefront, but as far as I am concerned if you have a business, the information given can help anyone do better and make more money. I hope this helps. This fellow is smart and has lots of great ideas for business owners. :) I LOVE the daily retail quotes so much, I have a couple of them up in my work area for inspiration and goal setting. :)

http://www.retailcontrarian.com/

I copied and pasted the categories from the front page just so you could see what all they offer: 

Edited by puma52
  • Like 4

Thanks for the link! I signed up. He's a good read and has some great ideas.

Here are some websites I have found to be very useful:

Small Business Administration: https://www.sba.gov/

This site has tips on how to start a small business, create a business plan, apply for a loan, and lots more. Another invaluable feature is the site can help you locate your local affiliate SBA office. You can get help with your business at the local office. They also have very moderately priced classes on small businesses. I took $30 classes in business startup, choosing a biz entity, and more. They have social networking classes, accounting, and more. But you have to check with them to see what classes are available and at what cost.

Craftsreport Magazine: http://www.craftsreport.com/

This site has some great articles and ideas on craft shows, where and how to find one, craft show marketing and sales tips, how to attract customers, etc.

Entrepreneur http://www.entrepreneur.com/

This site has information and articles about "How to start, run, and grow your business."

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Awesome...Love the links..thanks right back at ya Candybee! :) I put sba and entrepreneur in my favorites, (thank you)  but when I tried to favorite the craftsreport it did not bring anything up. I would really love to have that. Thanks bunches Candybee! :)

I am getting the same thing although it says "this site is temporarily unavailable." Maybe it crashed or is offline or they haven't paid their website fees? Anyway it was there yesterday and it was chock full of good reading articles re crafting and craft shows.

I am hoping the magazine will be back online soon.

Edited by Candybee

I am getting the same thing although it says "this site is temporarily unavailable." Maybe it crashed or is offline or they haven't paid their website fees? Anyway it was there yesterday and it was chock full of good reading articles re crafting and craft shows.

I am hoping the magazine will be back online soon.

Well doggone!!! I shall try to revisit quite often. I would LOVE to see.... :)

• Like 1

I subscribe to Craft Reports and they are changing the name of the magazine to Homemade Business.  I am not sure if that is why you are having problems or not.  I love that magazine.

Do they have a new website? Do you have a link you can share?