First order

I have ordered my first batch of product to start my candle making hobby.  Below are some of the items ordered.  Please chime in with your thoughts/advise on what else I may need or if you think I made a bad choice.  All criticism is welcome

candle making

NATUREWAX C-3 Soy Container Wax (10lb Bag)  $16.95
Wick Sampler Kit - CD Series                                $9.75
Wick Sampler Kit - ECO Series (6 inch)                 $6.95
Wooden Wick - Extra Large                                   $4.45
Wooden Wick - Large                                            $4.45
Very Sexy for Her (type) - 1oz                                $2.50
Midsummer's Night (type) - 1oz                              $2.00
Monkey Farts - 1oz                                                $2.00
Large Pouring Pot (Seamless Aluminum)               $10.95
Mini Pouring Pot (Aluminum)                                  $7.95
Clamshell Molds 48 pieces                                     $15.00

Kerr Pint Mason Jars regular mouth (16oz)            already owned

Jelly making

Water Crystals                              $6.95
Smooth Sided Jelly Jar 4oz           $3.98
Metal Threaded Lid Pewter #70    $2.75

Edited by chappy6107

Hi chappy! Sounds like a nice assortment of supplies. If it were me I would have ordered more scents but that is because I would not be able to help myself! You don't really need them when first starting out testing. Scent hording will come in time. LOL

I sampled C3 from Fillmore containers many years ago and can't for the life of me remember what wicks I tested it in. But I am sure I tried some CDs as I really like some of their burning qualities. What I don't like about them is they tend to burn hotter in smaller jars like jelly jars and tend to flicker more than I like. Never tried ECOs.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi Chappy,

How excited you must be just starting out! Good for you!! :)  We all remember trying to figure out everything at the beginning of our candle making. It is addictive, but so fun!! Just take your time and do it well and then move on to your next project. Be patient with YOURSELF.......you are learning a new thing, so cut yourself plenty of slack....we ALL have made huge mistakes learning....BUT that helps us to figure out problems and makes us much more determined to figure out just what went wrong and sometimes it is just the smallest minute thing that throws everything off. One thing that really helped me out in the beginning, was calling my supplier that I had bought my product off of. If you have any questions at all, I would call the supplier and see if they can help. I called my supplier TONS of times and also read alot about the making of my product. Wishing you the VERY best at the beginning of your candle and other goodies making! :)

Edited by puma52

Nice haul.

My only piece of advice is to start with one container and learn how that wax works with one wick type. I use the CD/CDN/CSN (all similar) in C3. i picked a container and a size of wick with no other additives to see how the wax behaved before throwing in other variables.

Quite a few people disagree with my method, but i don't add scent or color to a new container/wick/wax combo until i figure out the right wick. If i know how the wax behaves on its own with a given wick it is easier to figure out where a problem may be later. And it is quicker later to know if i need to go up/down a wick with each new fragrance.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Candybee - I definitely wanted more scents, but I ordered from lonestar and have been reading that their fragrances are hit and miss.  I would rather order those from another vendor w/ better reviews on those.  I tried both the CD's & ECO's because they were recommended for soy.

Hi Puma -  I am super excited to get started.  I have another hobby brewing beer/Meads/fruit wines which also is variable due to minute changes.  I like the idea of calling the supplier w/ questions.

Hi Tall Tayl - I like your methodology.  I planned on pouring a few mason jars w/ wax & wick only to get a baseline, then adding scent.  I would like to perfect one jar before moving on to another size/shape.

• Like 1

Oh, the beer/meads/fruit wine brewing sounds so fun and interesting ! Hmmmm....you could be creating a wonderful basket line there Chappy! Candles/Smelly Jellies/Wine ..... once you have mastered one line go to another....maybe offer Soap/Lotion/Candle/Wine baskets......loads of wonderful could be in the making for you if you go about this the right way.....the passion and drive will get you there.  Wishing you a very lucrative future! :)

Edited by puma52

Oh I have had homemade mead before! Its really good! I have often thought of trying to make wine but I already have too many hobbies for now.

Chappy-- is the dog in your avatar yours? Is it a pity? He's adorable!

Edited by Candybee

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Chappy,

I'm a little late responding to your post, but thought I would throw out another option for wicks for the C3. I've just recently within the past 2 years started using 464 which I love but for many many years previous I used only C3 and I also love that wax. I always used the htp series of wicks and for a 16oz canning jar like what you have, my choice of wick was the htp 105 and at times depending on the fragrance used a htp 126 wick. Don't forget to let them cure and you will probably have to top off your candles until you learn what pour temperature works for you.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur