Trying to get motivated - Valentine's Day and Spring soaps

Jcandleattic

Geez-- a membership to Sam's would pay for itself in all the OO I buy during one year. I should look into this.. there is one in Winchester which is about 25 minutes from me... hmmm... have to think about gas too... the gas would be about $6-7 at the rate it is now. Well I guess I could stock up on just one trip.

OG - you can get the same amt of pomace at Soapers Choice for $17.01 or the pomace and rice bran oil combo for $14.58

I prefer to use the same OO I use for cooking so I get the regular for sauteeing and cooking. I get the best price from Wally's. A gallon can for under $18.

JC - Re the Sams Club-- can you get the same discount with a regular membership or is that just for the employees?

This is like an additional 15% I think. I think regular club prices are $12 or $13 a gallon or something like that. 

$12-13 a gal is way cheaper that what I am paying at Wally's.

I was reading about the lemongrass. Have you tried lemongrass and lime EOs? OMG they are divine together! So fresh and citrusy. Its one of my coconut castiles I make. My coconut castile is mostly OO with Coconut and Castor oils and coconut milk. Its real gentle soap with the high olive oil so it sells really well for me. I love it in the spring and summer. But it sells fastest in the summer.

• Like 1

I tried googling Sam's Club and nothing came up. I wanted to check out the location address and memberships. Maybe I should try it on another browser.

Never mind. I tried it again today and found it right away. But there isn't on near me.

Maybe its another store like Sam's Club I am thinking of?

Edited by Candybee

Wonderful thread! I've been working on my spring to do list as well, Lavender and Lavender blends are always very popular for me.

This week I soaped a batch of Lavender, and Lavender & Clary Sage Charcoal.

Lavender Mint

Strawberries & Champagne

Honeysuckle Jasmine( after reading Scented's post, I think orange blossom would blend in nicely)

Casablana Lily (WYW) BCN- I haven't soaped this fo before, but lovely oob and should be a good one for spring

Sweet Pea

Lilac

Japanese Cherry Blossom

Peach Magnolia Raspberry

Cucumber Melon

Anjou Pear Blossoms

Cotton Blossom

WSP Verbena & Lemon- new fo, I normally use AH/RA lemon verbena

Lemongrass EO and blends

Speaking of Rose..MW's was my favorite, and real impressed with the dupe from FB! Soaps are past cure date and smells like original imo. It has been a long time since I soaped Peak's Rose Bouquet, not as fragrant and doesn't sell as well as Gypsy Rose.

Your line up sounds great! I am interested in the peach magnolia raspberry. I am looking for a scent that screams "berry". I have been using black raspberry vanilla but its getting old. I want a new berry FO that really sticks and is strong in CP

Thanks for the tip re rose bouquet. I love Peaks RB in candles but I really want a MW Gypsy Rose even if its a dupe because its the best rose in CP. I hear EBBs Sensuous Black Rose is the same as MW.

Black raspberry vanilla is getting old for me too, CB..It used to be such a popular scent..Pearberry used to sell better too, but both are slower sellers for me lately..Peach magnolia Rasp from Tennessee Candles outsells all my other fruity type soaps, and a real sticker in cp! Most popular scent in my lotions as well.

EBB's Black sensuous rose is a recommended dupe of Gypsy Rose, but I haven't got to try it yet in cp. It has been on my wishlist, but haven't got around to ordering. So much Fo stock that I REALLY need to use up, and trying to cut down on supply cost unless it's a "necessity".

Pheww! It's so easy to get carried away ordering supplies. I really want to try Fillmore's daffodil too!,lol..

I'd be glad to send you some sniffies of Gypsy and PMR if you like:)

• Like 1

I too get my olive oil at Sam's club. Prices keep rising though. I sometimes order it from Soaper's Choice if ordering lots of other bulk oils. I have used Aldi's in the past and never had any problems in the soap. I worry about adulterated olive oil, and only use from these sources.

Black raspberry vanilla is getting old for me too, CB..It used to be such a popular scent..Pearberry used to sell better too, but both are slower sellers for me lately..Peach magnolia Rasp from Tennessee Candles outsells all my other fruity type soaps, and a real sticker in cp! Most popular scent in my lotions as well.

EBB's Black sensuous rose is a recommended dupe of Gypsy Rose, but I haven't got to try it yet in cp. It has been on my wishlist, but haven't got around to ordering. So much Fo stock that I REALLY need to use up, and trying to cut down on supply cost unless it's a "necessity".

Pheww! It's so easy to get carried away ordering supplies. I really want to try Fillmore's daffodil too!,lol..

I'd be glad to send you some sniffies of Gypsy and PMR if you like:)

PM'd you!

The Lush fos continue to gain popularity (Supernova through the roof) and they are semi-floral/clean fragrances with pretty good Vday names (Sex Bomb). Stonehenge from BCN is my favorite masculine fragrance but it really accelerates and morphs at the beginning (colors return to normal)but its worth it for one of the best fragrances IMHO. I have plenty of heart containers, heart imbed molds and supplies for bath bombs (cupcakes especially). I plan on making some of Bunny's Chocolate Truffles and wrapping in colored foil for a candy type effect and am already getting requests. Currently cleaning up the lab and re-organizing; candles are not so and soap has taken over the immediate work area. I never sell much spring stuff but can usually move botanicals (not florals)but I still like Rose Jam. I have a new soaping wand, it is a large plastic icicle off a string of lights and it tapers to the end and has, well it looks like an icicle. Great for swirling (Yay!). Sold a lot of product through a local venue

(50-50 deal) that kept me humping for bath bomb cupcakes. Don't forget Margi Gras season as well.

We have a good Catholic community that loves those wonderful colors and bakery delights. I ususally make Mardi Gras soap cakes with the baby on top or hidden in the soap. HTH

Steve

I just switched to a Costco membership and they have two 3L bottles of OO for $24.99.  Just got mine today.  When I had the Sam's Club membership it was 3L for $13.99 I think so about the same price.

A 3L bottle is the same size as those 101oz metal cans I get.  Are you saying you can get 2 for $24.99 or that they have 2 different kinds?

Edited by Candybee

Well everyone keeps talking about Supernova so I guess I will have to check that out too!

Steve-- glad you reminded me of Bunny's melts. I have been meaning to try the recipe one of these days. But do they hold out well in outdoor venues? I sell at farmer's markets and craft shows so I am exposed to all kinds of weather.

Yes, that would work. I just think about people leaving them in a hot car and them melting. I would be disappointed if I bought them and they melted before I got to use them. I might not buy anymore after that. Where I am in West Texas gets really hot and I need all the repeat customers I can get. LOL so I offer them until it gets too warm. I love them and use them every time I soak in the tub.

I made a batch of Bunny's Melts and they are so perfect. Wrapping them in silver and gold foils and placing in heart boxes with glitter tops like candy. Did some great heart shaped bath bombs that are so cool and did a rose mold in Ky parasoy then poured 4 oz in a cut glass crystal votive holder and placed the rose on top as the wax cooled (bored a hole through the middle and ran my wick out of the top) and then dusted with glitter. Not sure how I'm going to package them but have been test buring and it is a beaut. It behaves like a pillar and so the whole rose glows from the flame. Lots of fun, if only they will sell. valentines is not a big mover for me.

Steve

• Like 2

and placed the rose on top as the wax cooled

Steve

I've done this with a pillar before. 

I have a nice rose mold that I got from Janet's Gems (or something like that, she is way out of business now, but I have 4 of those silicone molds) 

It did drip a little while burning, but overall not bad and was a big seller for me. 

For the wick hole I use a votive wick pin rod... (I cut the base off) 

If I can find a pic of it, I'll post it later. Maybe for a TBT pic. I haven't made them in quite a while. 

Edited by Jcandleattic

• 2 weeks later...