I'm confused....preservative question

crunchy31

:undecided When making lotions with a preservative, how much do you use?

Lets say it's 24 ounces of lotion. I hear people say to use 1%....but what does that mean? I guess I'm math-retarded, but how do I figure out how much is 1%? sorry this is real new to me!:embarasse I'm just not sure how to accurately measure that out.

It depends on which preservative you're using. Different ones have different recommended usage rates. The place you bought it from should be able to tell you. If you're using something that calls for 1% and your lotion is 24 oz, then you need to put 0.24 oz. To figure out how to get it, percent means 'divided by 100'. So 1% means 1/100. You would then take 1/100 and multiple it by your lotion amount (the 24 oz).

Just to be anal, I wanted to encourage you to double check the percentage they recommend. Most preservatives are recommended at POINT 1% instead of 1% - which makes a big difference in how much you use. I would just hate for you to make a batch that could irritate someone's skin and cause you to have complaints!

Just to be anal, I wanted to encourage you to double check the percentage they recommend. Most preservatives are recommended at POINT 1% instead of 1% - which makes a big difference in how much you use. I would just hate for you to make a batch that could irritate someone's skin and cause you to have complaints!

I'm curious how to weigh .1% of something. My scale would not register an amount this small unless I had a very large batch.

Correct. 550g capacity was the largest I could find that would still be able to measure in .1 gram increments.

I'm sure there's one out there with 10 lb. capacity and will measure to .1 gram, but I didn't want to spend over $100 or anything, so this one was good enough for me.