WE are our worst enemies

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

Man, this wax bashing is about to get the best of me.

I started my journey with soy, and love it. I love it because it throws so well for me and it's less expensive than paraffins. I also love that it is made from soy beans which are a renewable resource. As much as I love it and prefer it personally for the above mentioned qualities, I am about to be pushed over the edge by candlemakers who insist on bashing paraffin, and I am certain that I will make a big fuss in the very near future. Enough is enough. I am going on a one woman campaign to educate these idiots.

And the trouble is, it is soy candle makers who are doing the worst of the bashing. I watched a feature story on our local news WBIR channel 10 about a candle maker in Knoxville, (I was also featured on the news 11 years ago, same thing) who is not only bashing paraffin wax but also bashing cotton wicks because they have lead in them. WHAT? And, of course, she has been making and selling her candles for less than a year. If I could have reached thru the screen....

Man, this wax bashing is about to get the best of me.

I started my journey with soy, and love it. I love it because it throws so well for me and it's less expensive than paraffins. I also love that it is made from soy beans which are a renewable resource. As much as I love it and prefer it personally for the above mentioned qualities, I am about to be pushed over the edge by candlemakers who insist on bashing paraffin, and I am certain that I will make a big fuss in the very near future. Enough is enough. I am going on a one woman campaign to educate these idiots.

And the trouble is, it is soy candle makers who are doing the worst of the bashing. I watched a feature story on our local news WBIR channel 10 about a candle maker in Knoxville, (I was also featured on the news 11 years ago, same thing) who is not only bashing paraffin wax but also bashing cotton wicks because they have lead in them. WHAT? And, of course, she has been making and selling her candles for less than a year. If I could have reached thru the screen....

I have been trying to educate for years (all I use or ever have used is paraffin - I tried soy, I personally didn't like it - but that was MY preference and not the fault of the wax - I would never bash against something I didn't use!) and it seems that people don't want to hear the FACTS; they just want sell THEIR product - whatever product that is. 

And lead in wicks? Has she been under a damn rock? There hasn't been lead in wicks since at least the 80's, maybe 70's. I don't remember when they were banned, but even just the tiniest bit of research will tell you this. Which in all honesty, the news outlet should have vetted that info before putting it out there, but media is just as lazy/non-caring as the people spreading the non-FACTS. 

Anyway, when you decide to stand on that soap-box, I will be right there beside you. 

I try to stay out of discussions I know are going to turn into bash sessions but sometimes it really is hard to hold my tongue when I KNOW the information being spewed is just absolutely wrong. 

• Like 3

So this is the area that has aggravated me the most. To educate the consumer we had a single sheet handout that explained paraffin as I got very, very, very tired of soy makers polluting people's minds with uneducated, unsubstantiated facts. We provided links where they could learn more if they wanted. To the various mediums out there where people can have a vehicle to promote his or her wares, it becomes increasingly difficult to encourage those venues to do their research. They must think the first thing that comes up on Google is the truth. It's sad to see the profession that I am part of (the media) do just enough to get by but not do the research to have better and more accurate reporting. 

As for the candles and soap business I have, we've witnessed the public getting turned off on the people who slam other similar businesses. Fortunately that is happening, because it is disgusting to me to see others try to vault their product as the holy virgin grail, especially when they have no idea about their product. 

I haven't really run across a lot of people who wax bash like you guys have.  I do have customers that have said, oh you use soy, it's so much better.  And I let them know it's not better, just different.  The reason I chose it is because it works for me and I love how it looks.

I had someone the other day say that soy wax melts are better because they don't let off soot.  I was like huh?   I was so confused.  I said I have never heard that being a problem with any type of wax melts since there's no wick. 

I have been shopping lately mostly at TJMaxx, Marshalls, Steinmart, Tuesday Morning and a few other stores. One of the first aisles I hit in the store is the candle section/aisle. Naturally I thoroughly examine the candles. I lift the lid, get a whiff of the scent, check out the wick and the wax. I even feel the wax, although I know what type of wax it is before touching it. It has been a couple of years since I have seen a soy candle in any of these stores. I'm not sure about Target and Walmart. Now, I do recall a few years back seeing an influx of soy candles in these same stores. I wonder why these stores no longer sell soy candles? What's up with that? Has anybody else noticed that soy candles seem to have disappeared from these stores and why?

Several candle groups I am in on Facebook also are bad about bashing paraffin.  It seems most of them are soy candle makers and I really want to say something also but I just keep shut!  I did once post about the link that was here about waxes but it didn't seem to do any good.  Also seems like a lot of them are new and really don't seem to test.  You see various containers being used and you know they haven't tested them cause they seem to always say look what I found at a garage sale or similar!  Anyway I sometimes think that is why online sales are not what they used to be, people buy some of these candles and they are bad so that puts a bad taste in their mouth for ordering online. Also see a lot of jewelry in candles and some even put money.  I think what in the world, people are so gullible!  Hope no one here is doing that and if you are don't mean to hurt no feelings just don't understand it.  Guess anything to sell!

Edited by grama

Guest OldGlory

I am going to contact the TV station and ask that they broadcast a 'correction' to the story yesterday. I will offer the Okometric study as evidence.

Just makes me crazy.

I haven't really run across a lot of people who wax bash like you guys have.  I do have customers that have said, oh you use soy, it's so much better.  And I let them know it's not better, just different.  The reason I chose it is because it works for me and I love how it looks.

I had someone the other day say that soy wax melts are better because they don't let off soot.  I was like huh?   I was so confused.  I said I have never heard that being a problem with any type of wax melts since there's no wick. 

Maybe they didn't realize that they meant candles OR they really are in the dark :)

I am going to contact the TV station and ask that they broadcast a 'correction' to the story yesterday. I will offer the Okometric study as evidence.

Just makes me crazy.

Wishing you luck, if I understand right, they havene't made wicks with lead in them in years, so one has wonder where their info is coming from.  I personally don't have a preference, I use both waxes and can find good features in both of them, some people don't have enough to do in their day I guess.  Keep us posted please, I'd love to see a video of your broadcast just in case :)

She/he was probably just repeating what they had heard so many many many times about soy wax. 

The main selling point of soy candles is "no soot" so people are starting to equate any soy products with "no soot" whether it's something that burns or not. 

*sigh* 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

The broadcast of the woman making the candles is on WBIR in Knoxville TN. It was on yesterday around 4 or 5 pm. Ashley's Apothecaries. You can pull it up by typing the call letters of the station and the city into your web browser.

I will let you all know if I get a response and if they decide to do anything about it.

Several candle groups I am in on Facebook also are bad about bashing paraffin.  It seems most of them are soy candle makers and I really want to say something also but I just keep shut!  I did once post about the link that was here about waxes but it didn't seem to do any good.  Also seems like a lot of them are new and really don't seem to test.  You see various containers being used and you know they haven't tested them cause they seem to always say look what I found at a garage sale or similar!  Anyway I sometimes think that is why online sales are not what they used to be, people buy some of these candles and they are bad so that puts a bad taste in their mouth for ordering online. Also see a lot of jewelry in candles and some even put money.  I think what in the world, people are so gullible!  Hope no one here is doing that and if you are don't mean to hurt no feelings just don't understand it.  Guess anything to sell!

i use different containers also, but I usually test before a final candle is made in that container,especially if I am giving as gift :)

• Like 1

Wow! She is wrong on so many levels...

Triple scented, toxins in paraffin, lead in paper wicks? She also states on her Facebook since her fragrances are skin friendly, they're less toxic...oh my goodness...

I also wonder if she is reusing the jars sent back to her; if she is I'm sorry to say that glass can only be reheated so many times before it will crack!

She seems like a really sweet girl, but you can plain as day see that she has not been making candles long at all...

• Like 1

Maybe they didn't realize that they meant candles OR they really are in the dark :)

She was really in the dark because she made it clear after I asked her that she was talking about wax melts and not candles.   She said she had heard that people have problems with soot even with wax melts.  I said I had never heard of that problem and I don't know anyone who has had that problem.

Probably like most of you, I understand the pros and cons of soy wax and paraffin wax. Unfortunately the average consumer does not understand the difference; therefore, they are severely misinformed and probably confused as it relates to soy wax and paraffin wax. It is a no win battle trying to clear up all of these insane claims especially when the news media is contributing to the misinformation by broadcasting inaccurate and misleading information constantly.

There will always be people that feel the need to bash the competition's product. I think a good approach to somewhat addressing the problem is to educate one misinformed consumer at a time. We all agree that some people will say just about anything in order to sell their product. Once again, if soy wax products are superior to paraffin wax products, why have soy products virtually disappeared from the shelves of most major stores? They don't have a dog in the fight. Their goal is to make money by offering products that consumers want and buy.

Cynthia

Wow! She is wrong on so many levels...

Triple scented, toxins in paraffin, lead in paper wicks? She also states on her Facebook since her fragrances are skin friendly, they're less toxic...oh my goodness...

I also wonder if she is reusing the jars sent back to her; if she is I'm sorry to say that glass can only be reheated so many times before it will crack!

She seems like a really sweet girl, but you can plain as day see that she has not been making candles long at all...

Not long at all, it seems

She was really in the dark because she made it clear after I asked her that she was talking about wax melts and not candles.   She said she had heard that people have problems with soot even with wax melts.  I said I had never heard of that problem and I don't know anyone who has had that problem.

Wow, good for you, thats just unreal

Good gracious!!! I would be embarrassed to make such statements because I know better!! First of all Ms Ashley is showing just HOW uneducated she is about candle making....FIRST OF ALL ...there is no such animal as "triple scented".  Second uneducated statement....some paper wicking lets lead go up into the air?? Since WHEN ??!! Shew....she is way behind the times on this statement. Third uneducated statement showing she is uneducated about candles is she is saying natural soy, organic, natural products, natural wood wicks.....no such animal as natural soy...has to go through chemical process JUST like paraffin in order to be made into a candle, color makes it unnatural, scent blending, scent combinations... makes it unnatural. The definition of NATURAL is: Present in or produced by nature, not altered, treated or disguised, not produced or changed artificially....therefore her statements are not correct.  Fourth uneducated statement paraffin releases TOXIC chemicals into the air?? REALLY?? Since WHEN?? YOUR PROOF??  RECYCLING JARS??? Bad bad......NOT following candle making guidelines...looking for a shattered jar there....  She calls this her "brain child"......she needs to go back to the drawing board and start over. Do something you love, do something you are passionate about and work hard......this is the one statement she said that I totally 100% agree with. I am so tired of the lies....yes they are lies that people are stating regarding paraffin....the bashing REALLY needs to stop! BUT .....regardless of what Ms Ashley says.......I sell the heck out of my 100% paraffin ..awesomely made...awesomely smelling...awesomely burning....NOT natural candles. :)  

Edited by puma52
  • Like 6

Guest OldGlory

It was pretty bad, wasn't it Puma? This is what happens when you have a supplier nearby. Everyone wants to make and sell candles. I bet there's not a 10 mile square in all of East TN that doesn't have at least one candle maker. All sorts of dangers involved, and it reflects on every independent candle maker in the area. And some darn good candle makers too.

As expected, I did not get a response to my email contact to the TV station. If anything comes in I'll be sure to let y'all know.

It was very bad OldGlory! It is just simply very disappointing what people will say or do to TRY to hurt their competition....and I just DO NOT get it.  It seems she must feel VERY threatened by the paraffin candle makers...what other explanation is there for it? But shhhh! Don't tell her that paraffin is in that pretty lipstick and mascara she is wearing and if she put lotion on before that...well hate to tell her she is wearing it in that also. And if she ate chocolate that day....shhhh...she ingested paraffin. If she ate a piece of fruit that day...ackk...it is also coated in wax. OMG!!! Anyhow, I educate folks as I go IF they ask if my candles are soy candles....I DO NOT bash soy candle makers as I do it.  We must all remember to respect each other and remember that there are plenty of customers to go around. There is a place for everyone in this field....if you work hard, create an awesome candle with awesome scents you can and will do very well.........we do not have to try to destroy each other to accomplish it. I hope they respond to you. I would LOVE to see you on WBIR talking your side. It would be so cool! :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 4

Also forgot to add...wax is in her chewing gum and her fine cheeses are coated in paraffin wax too...in her shampoos, OTC soaps, moisturizers, shaving soap, furniture polish, wax paper and the list goes on and on. Gracious...the more you think about it , the more sillier it is for these attacks on paraffin.  Ya just can't make this stuff up!! :)

Edited by puma52

It was pretty bad, wasn't it Puma? This is what happens when you have a supplier nearby. Everyone wants to make and sell candles. I bet there's not a 10 mile square in all of East TN that doesn't have at least one candle maker. All sorts of dangers involved, and it reflects on every independent candle maker in the area. And some darn good candle makers too.

As expected, I did not get a response to my email contact to the TV station. If anything comes in I'll be sure to let y'all know.

You aren't going to get a reply. Now you could continue to spam-like their email with the statements or you could call or go higher on the picking tree if there's a way to reach someone other than an entry level individual. If they've posted it, perhaps they are allowing comments on their website. This is an avenue to express yourself and anyone else can do so as well. 

Snail mail is another option. See, this is the problem with inaccurate and shoddy reporting, because once a story is a wrap they think it's over and ignore everything. 

As for this other person making claims about natural and organic, well now there's a case for the FDA to be notified right? If you really want to go full balls, you can go this route and if the FDA does anything, well there's news that can be reported to the TV station too. 

You're better off doing as Cynthia suggested and educating the public one at a time and expecting about two or three regressions of your progress a year. This is a long battle began when it first started. When you do the education process, make sure you aren't putting down others who are causing the damage. Make the consumer feel smart. 

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

LOL, she has a Facebook account - maybe I should write to her there and tell her the FDA has been contacted regarding the claim about her candles.

No, I'm not going to do that because she clearly isn't smart enough to know what is wrong with her statements, and that would just start a campaign with her supporters.

The only way to approach this is through the people/businesses that have something to gain OR lose. Maybe I will go to the local newspaper with the findings in the Okometric study, and reference back to the story on WBIR and let the newspaper know that they had the chance to correct it after the fact but chose to ignore it. Or better yet, go to a competing TV station. Or both. And then I will recontact the original TV station.

I watched the video..Wow, already in stores and making candles less than a year!..Hope this person has good insurance! I wonder if she uses fragrance oils? If so, then she certainly cannot claim it's an all natural candle! I'm sick of the all natural, organic mumbo jumbo..It's all over the net when you look at soaps on etsy, ebay, etc..ridiculous medical claims and all kind of hype to sell their products.

• Like 1