What is the purpose?

I am trying to understand the purpose of mixing a paraffin and soy??  Which one is helping the other with scent throw (ct or ht)?  What does each bring to the table and how does it help the other?  I am considering testing a blend today but wanted to understand the purpose before I do try... I would really appreciate your knowledge and input on this....

There are several reasons.

1. wicking is usually easier and smaller wicks needed

2. reduced surface flaws like frosting and pitting.

3 pouring at higher temp.

4 FO that do not throw in soy usually throw in a blend

5 improved HT for some. Personally I never saw much difference here. 

There are probable a ton more reasons but that is a start. I used a blend because of 1, 2, 4

A lot of folks think that it gives you the best of both world.

• Like 1

I like the creaminess of soy, but couldn't stand the look of frosting or the pitted tops after it was burned. I also had less than stellar results with hot throw using just soy. I used straight 464, but by adding a 40% paraffin (4630), I get smooth tops, no frosting, consistent hot throw and shorter cure times. 

• Like 1

For me, I started with soy.... The cold throw is amazing and I get pretty awesome ht as well

I started playing with a parasoy and in candles the ht is really good but I see soot- not a lot but with soy you don't see it and in the melts I have zero cold throw - the ht is okay but nothing like my soy

I am using 4625 with the blend which has amazing reviews....but for me it's not working with melts

It is still amazing to me how everyone can get such variable results

With soy I do not color so frosting has never been an issue for me- sometimes I get wet spots but I know it's from being impatient on my pour temp - I never get them if I pour at slushy- the parasoy candles....major wet spots everytime but I like they color and still look creamy

If you make paraffin, what would soy bring that would be a benefit?  Is it only that paraffin has a benefit to soy??

Longer burn times, a creaminess that can not be achieved with paraffin alone. Cleaner looking burn. I really have a hard time coming up with reasons because I was a soy girl first then went to a blend.

Paraffin was my first love and it was pretty cheap. The oil prices started driving up the price and soy was really cheap. People started using soy and some began tagging it as all natural and organic with no soot. Blending covered a lot of bases for my tastes. Parasoy wasn't as expensive and seemed easier to handle with the fos that were formulated mostly for paraffin. It didn't color as well as paraffin but who needs color? Now, all the waxes are expensive with shipping driving the bottom line up even worse. One of the hazards with soy in any form is that its quality and price is determined by whether the soy bean harvest is good or bad. I wish the price would come down on coconut wax and some of the other botanical waxes.

• Like 2