Bulk Apothecary

7 Pawz

Just placed an order for 8lbs of food grade lye and 8 lbs of CO, got tire of having to worry about walmart keeping the CO in stock, and after I figured out shipping plus price of the items, I came out cheaper anyway, particularlly on the CO. Walmart wants $6.88 for 30 oz of CO----and the lye that I originally got was from the local county co-op and it was close to $6 @ lb.     So in the long run, this was better for me and the customer service was excellent-----

• Like 1

Bulk apothecary is pricey. Check out Essential Depot or the Lye Guy for the best prices in bulk lye. Also, ED sells carrier oils and other soaping products too. For some of the best oil prices try Columbus Foods/Soapers Choice. Best prices on oils and shipping. Another soaping supply I like to use is Soap Making Resource.

I'm sure others will chime in with who they use to save money but these mentioned above are pretty universal for most soapers.

• Like 2

For Lye I use ED - IMO they have the best value and shipping prices on the bulk lye. I usually buy 2 of their 32lb "deals" and that will last me quite a while. 

For oils it depends - I go with one of these 3 places depending on price - WSP, Soaper's Choice, or MMS (aka Majestic Mountain Sage or The Sage) WSP has free shipping on everything once you reach their $40 minimum (with oils that's easy to do),

MMS is close to me and sometimes have great deals (they had PKO on sale 100lbs for $50 2 years ago, so I got 200lbs - great deal even with shipping)

Soaper's Choice has great products. 

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have used ED and like their service, but for the amount that I ordered, I came out really cheap, well, it was about 3.25 

Bulk apothecary is pricey. Check out Essential Depot or the Lye Guy for the best prices in bulk lye. Also, ED sells carrier oils and other soaping products too. For some of the best oil prices try Columbus Foods/Soapers Choice. Best prices on oils and shipping. Another soaping supply I like to use is Soap Making Resource.

I'm sure others will chime in with who they use to save money but these mentioned above are pretty universal for most soapers.

I've used ED and like their service, but for 8lbs of lye, factoring in the shipping, it was around $3.25/lb, which for me was cheaper, I've not tried Soap Making Resource, but I spent most of the last 2 days trying to figure it all out  :) The CO was about the same to when I factored in the shipping, 8lbs of lye and CO will last me a long time, ED amounts that were offted were either to little or to much for me to keep on hand :)

I buy both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide (lye) from Essential Depot (ED).  For the oils I choose Soapers Choice; they have great service, good prices and fast shipping.

Hth  :-)

I buy both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide (lye) from Essential Depot (ED).  For the oils I choose Soapers Choice; they have great service, good prices and fast shipping.

Hth  :-)

If Soapers Choice had the lye, I probably would've used them , their prices plus shipping were great, but at $3.25/lb , after factoring in the shipping, it worked out to be better than I thought,  thank you for your help :)

For Lye I use ED - IMO they have the best value and shipping prices on the bulk lye. I usually buy 2 of their 32lb "deals" and that will last me quite a while. 

For oils it depends - I go with one of these 3 places depending on price - WSP, Soaper's Choice, or MMS (aka Majestic Mountain Sage or The Sage) WSP has free shipping on everything once you reach their $40 minimum (with oils that's easy to do),

MMS is close to me and sometimes have great deals (they had PKO on sale 100lbs for $50 2 years ago, so I got 200lbs - great deal even with shipping)

Soaper's Choice has great products. 

You're so lucky to have a supplier close :) If Soapers choice is still on my list, but since I needed the lye and 8lbs is about all I probablywill need for quite awhile, since I'm still just experimenting with the smaller batches of soap, thats good to know about MMS, I will keep that in mind, your right tho, its so easy to reach a $40 minimum

Well, MMS is close-ish. They are in UT. Their everyday prices are a tad more than some places, but without having to ship it clear cross country, total per unit cost is sometimes cheaper. 

And the "free" shipping is kind of a misnomer with WSP, because they add the shipping into their product cost, but sometimes even with them doing that, it will come out cheaper depending on the qty bought. 

The research to get the best deal possible (and all the math) can be daunting, but with significant savings, it can be so worth it. 

Good on you for doing it. :) 

Well, MMS is close-ish. They are in UT. Their everyday prices are a tad more than some places, but without having to ship it clear cross country, total per unit cost is sometimes cheaper. 

And the "free" shipping is kind of a misnomer with WSP, because they add the shipping into their product cost, but sometimes even with them doing that, it will come out cheaper depending on the qty bought. 

The research to get the best deal possible (and all the math) can be daunting, but with significant savings, it can be so worth it. 

Good on you for doing it. :)

I spent several days trying to figure it all out, with the added cost of shipping, how much will I possibly use and how much I can store, the free shipping has a lot of people thinking that FREE, no,it sure isn't, you really have to know your prices for what you're shopping for, so when the shipping is included in the price of the product, sometimes as you say, it can be cheaper, I can't wait for my order to get here, colors should be here by tomorrow :woowoo:

I spent several days trying to figure it all out, with the added cost of shipping, how much will I possibly use and how much I can store, the free shipping has a lot of people thinking that FREE, no,it sure isn't, you really have to know your prices for what you're shopping for, so when the shipping is included in the price of the product, sometimes as you say, it can be cheaper, I can't wait for my order to get here, colors should be here by tomorrow :woowoo:

Yep.  No free shipping - they just buried the cost.  Sigh.

Yep.  No free shipping - they just buried the cost.  Sigh.

Even with that being done, I still came out better than driving 20 mins to walmart to get a 30 oz jar of CO that is still higher than 1lb of CO oil from BA with shipping factored in. I'll get the OO and SF at Walmart since I don't use a lot of those----

I never rule out WSP. Their inflated prices on the so called 'free' shipping items can sometimes be cheaper than ordering elsewhere. But it works out better for me ordering in bulk amounts. I still shop around to make sure I am paying the best price on the total order plus shipping.

I never rule out WSP. Their inflated prices on the so called 'free' shipping items can sometimes be cheaper than ordering elsewhere. But it works out better for me ordering in bulk amounts. I still shop around to make sure I am paying the best price on the total order plus shipping.

Yes, it seemed to work out better for me to order at 8lbs, which is the least amount of lye and co, that will last a long time for me and give me a price break as well.  Havent tried WSP yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it, the way I've been ordering lately :)