Throw issues - 3022

So, I'm having some throw issues and I wonder if anyone could guide me in the right direction. I think I am doing everything correctly, so I just have a few questions.

Firstly, I have tested several waxes (4630, 6006, 4627) and I definitely seem to have the best luck with 3022. I could basically never get much of a throw at all from other wax/wick combos. Having said that, the throw is still not exactly as strong as I would like. I definitely get a hot/cold throw, but I feel like it could be stronger compared to some of the 'higher end' candles that I burn here at home. I have been using both CD (18 & 20) and wooden wicks  (from woodcandlewick) in 10 oz Monticiano jars (3" dia).

So the process for me has been:

Put wax in presto pot and heat to 185/190

Put F/O in warmed pyrex pour pot (I have used 6% and 10%)

Pour wax directly into F/O in warmed pour pot

Stir until incorporated (1 min?)

Add 30 drops/pound of black liquid dye (I have translucent black jars and really want pitch black candles)

Pour candles and cool

Testing next day

So the questions I really have are

(1) am I heating hot enough or too hot?

(2) should I cool the wax a bit before adding it to the F/O?

(3) would adding that amount of dye bind up my scent somehow?

(4) do you really need to let 3022 cure longer than 1 day?

I am really really feeling like I am on the right track for the first time in the past year that I have been testing.  I'm very excited, and I actually feel like my candles are "okay" for the most part, but would love a really strong hot throw and I only feel like mine is alright.

Thanks so much for any help!!

Guest OldGlory

I have no experience with that wax, so I cannot help you with the wax/FO/temp issues.

But, do you send out your candles for testing? I wonder if you have 'candlenose', where you are getting good scent throw but you just can't smell it properly.

Also, 30 drops of dye per lb is very high! That much dye could clog your wick.

Also, along with what OG said, if you are testing next day it may be too soon. Is 3022 a paraffin/soy blend or does it have soy/palm in it at all? If so then yes, a day is too soon to test for throw. I'd even wait up to 3 days for paraffin candles as well. You'll notice the difference. 

Thanks for the input! 3022 is something like 70soy/30para. I will try more curing. I haven't sent any testers out either, but I may look into that. Up until now I didn't really feel comfortable with anyone testing but myself, but I am getting more comfortable now that I know they burn safely.

Also, yes 30 drops per pound is really high BUT this wax is very very creamy and it takes that amount to get it to go a true black color. I have definitely tried less, but if I want black in this wax, it has to be 30 drops/pound.

Again, thanks for all the advice, and any additional is very welcome!!

Edited by jbrooks

I've not used the 3022 but something I would say having used a blend before; soy will take at least a week IMHO to cure. One month of having let it sit will increase ht.

Second point. If you'd poured the candle the day before then your not going to be smelling that candle like your customers will.

Give it to an honest friend a week or more after pouring if you want an independant answer or burn it after a few days of not being around any scent at all. I've done the same and sent it to friends who have said its waaaaaay too strong when I couldn't smell a thing. Independent reviews are priceless

Hi. I use 3022 in my tarts and love it. I've still not mastered candles - too many other distractions. :)

But, You can do a search on Clarus 3022 and check out Chuck 35550 posts. He has been making candles with 3022 for years. He has been very generous with his methods and techniques on making candles with 3022. He would be a great resource for you. Good luck!!

I have been using 3022 for the past six years and it throws the next day on most fos. Your procedure is just fine and most fos can be used at 6% with optimal results. That being said, light fos will always be light IMHO, no matter how long you cure them. My best advice would be to give the candle to someone for testing. Sometimes you get candle nose and you really can't judge the strength of ht. I've never had a dye interfere with throw, unless it is clogging your wick (small weak flame, excessive sooting). I don't think its a wax problem but an fo problem. Premium fragrance oil (usually expensive) is not a guarantee you will get a high end type throw. I get wonderful results from medium priced oils like Natures Garden and others; high end candles like Votivo use in house perfumers and top of the line ingredients. Us little guys have to buy testers and search for the right combinaton that produces reasonable results. HTH

Steve

Thanks Steve! This is sort of what I was leaning towards thinking, that possibly I just need to ditch some of the oils I have tried based on being too weak. Its annoying when you really like a fragrance and it just doesn't throw well. Do you find that 3022 is finicky with scents (because of having so much soy) or do you think it generally throws most things you put in it?

I have really had more luck with this wax than any other I have tried, so I'm definitely determined to stick with it and figure it out! First wax I have felt a real attachment to.

Also, to add, I do seem to get a better/stronger throw with the wooden wicks, for whatever reason. I thought it would be easier to wick with woodens, but I really do find it harder to get a mix of good burn with minimal smoke when using wooden wicks. The CDs burn well, but the throw doesn't seem as strong with them.

Edited by jbrooks

There aren't that many fos that won't throw. I meant that if a formulation was intended to be soft or subtle; adding more fo isn't going to change it into a nose burner. My nose doesn't care for the style of fragrances from several suppliers who are wildly popular on the forum. I like Natures Garden, AH/RE Kentucky line, Fragrance Buddy and a few others. HTH

Steve