PILLAR PIX

Terry

Hi Everyone-

Made  ½ of a 6 X 9” mold-- about 4-1/2 “ high -- triple wicker, scent combo:  Black Raspberry Vanilla, Strawberry and Patchouli using  three 30 plys, with 4625 then poured the rest of wax into the other two molds I am trying to perfect.  Used 27 ply on the round this time instead of 24, needed too much hugging on the 24.  The 24 ply works fine on the spiral.  They smell really good cold!

Lit the 3 X 4-1/2” round for the second time --picture taken at the four-hour mark.  It seems like one of the walls is thinning out a bit quicker than the other side but I am hopeful that the wick will turn around since I twisted it before pouring—no drafts were present.   

For anyone who uses the 6 X 9” mold--Do you actually measure the wick placement at the top of the candle (which will be the bottom) or just eyeball it?  Or does it matter much since this is the bottom of the candle?  If you look at the top they are a bit off center….

I am chuckling to myself-- I am taking so many pictures of these candles (more than posted) it's like they are one of my kids, lol, MY BABIES..!!  Who has been there ??  Can I get a Whoo-Hooo on this ??!!  :woowoo:

I  LOVE PILLARS!!

post-11305-0-53162000-1413073172_thumb.j

post-11305-0-69799900-1413073182_thumb.j

post-11305-0-65431100-1413073193_thumb.j

post-11305-0-14524400-1413073213_thumb.j

post-11305-0-99608900-1413073221_thumb.j

post-11305-0-49533800-1413073731_thumb.j

post-11305-0-19665200-1413073740_thumb.j

Guest OldGlory

LMBO Terry, uh huh, I know what you mean!

Is that palm or soy? You are a brave soul. I know nothing about natural pillar waxes but I'm sure someone will.

Keep up the great work!!! :rockon:

they look good. I use 4625 and a 24 in my 3x6 candles with no problems. my 6x6 and 6x9 candles have holes in the molds and that is one of the only molds I still use wick pins in because I can't center them very well and the holes do seem to be placed very well.

Yours do seem a little off in the unlit pic, but it could be the picture - the lit pics don't look off center to me.

Yes, it does matter even though it's the bottom of the candle, because once it burns down to that point it could go wonky and the last 1/3 - 1/4 of a pillar is the most 'dangerous' part of burning the candle. (people forget about them, they burn them all the way down scorching the tables they are on, etc., etc.,) 

Good luck, looks like you are on the right track. :) 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Sorry, Terry - it looks like natural wax on my laptop. I think maybe my color is off a bit.

That mold is HUGE! How much wax does it hold? I wouldn't even know where to begin wicking it.

That mold is HUGE! How much wax does it hold?

I believe that mold holds around 7 lbs of wax--it IS huge!  I used approx 3-1/2 lbs of wax for this candle, if the wicks work out well I'm gonna fill the entire mold!!

I still use wick pins in because I can't center them very well and the holes do seem to be placed very well.

Yours do seem a little off in the unlit pic, but it could be the picture - the lit pics don't look off center to me.

Yes, it does matter even though it's the bottom of the candle, because once it burns down to that point it could go wonky and the last 1/3 - 1/4 of a pillar is the most 'dangerous' part of burning the candle. (people forget about them, they burn them all the way down scorching the tables they are on, etc., etc.,) 

Good luck, looks like you are on the right track. :)

How do you use wick pins being there are three holes?  I am thinking the bases would overlap each other? 

I love the 3 wick pillar. Never tried making one. I used to buy one every year until I purchased one that was wicked poorly and kept sputtering out on me. But all the 3 wick candles I ever used you still had to trim the wax every now and then to get a level candle. Hopefully you will have better luck.

I love the 3 wick pillar. Never tried making one. I used to buy one every year until I purchased one that was wicked poorly and kept sputtering out on me. But all the 3 wick candles I ever used you still had to trim the wax every now and then to get a level candle. Hopefully you will have better luck.

I get it at the 3 points. Hard to describe where without a visual, but think of it as 3 - 3" pillars shoved together - all the white space around the outside, that in a 3 wick pillar has wax? That's where I have to trim - but only slightly because I will still "hug" my 3 wicker, and push it in toward each wick in the center. 

Well, I know what I'm talking about - but it's hard to explain in text. LOL 

You mean you actually cut, let's say "V"-s into the 3 sides of the wax where it is thickest?

I guess "trim" was a misnomer, no, I mean just smush them harder when "hugging" - but that's the spaces that will leave the wall thicker than elsewhere in the candle. 

It's so hard to explain in text - I wish I could show you. :-/