Another Soap Book:)

7 Pawz

Just ordered and received a book by Anne-Marie Fiola, the Soapqueen.  

So far, I love it.

She uses Palm, Coconut and Olive oils in her  most basic recipe.

What could I substitute for the Palm oil?  Its not that I wouldn't like to use it, but I am trying to 

stick to oils that I can buy at the grocery.

Good for you. I started out using only oils I could source locally at my grocers and Walmart. Wally's carries lard, olive oil, and coconut oil.

They also carry other soaping oils when you feel you want to expand your recipe: castor oil (in the pharmacy section for tummy aches), sweet almond oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil and more.

BTW-- Wally's has a really good shortening for soaping you can sub for the palm. Its similar to the old Crisco before they changed their formula. Look for the shortening that says 'animal and vegetable fats'. The animal fat is tallow and the veggie is palm. It makes an awesome soap.

Edited by Candybee

Scientific Soapmaking: The Chemistry of the Cold Process Paperback – March 16, 2010

by Kevin M. Dunn (Author)

Best book on the subject IMHO. Not 100% in agreement with everything he suggests but its pretty darn good. Be careful with Anne-Marie, some of her formulas don't work out so well. She is very creative and her cupcake info is superb.

Steve

Scientific Soapmaking: The Chemistry of the Cold Process Paperback – March 16, 2010

by Kevin M. Dunn (Author)

Best book on the subject IMHO. Not 100% in agreement with everything he suggests but its pretty darn good. Be careful with Anne-Marie, some of her formulas don't work out so well. She is very creative and her cupcake info is superb.

Steve

Thank you, I do agree with the creativity, I've gotten some good ideas from the book, now if I can find the time :)

Good for you. I started out using only oils I could source locally at my grocers and Walmart. Wally's carries lard, olive oil, and coconut oil.

They also carry other soaping oils when you feel you want to expand your recipe: castor oil (in the pharmacy section for tummy aches), sweet almond oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil and more.

BTW-- Wally's has a really good shortening for soaping you can sub for the palm. Its similar to the old Crisco before they changed their formula. Look for the shortening that says 'animal and vegetable fats'. The animal fat is tallow and the veggie is palm. It makes an awesome soap.

Thank you for your suggestions, going there this weekend, will look and see whats around.

Lard or Tallow are closest to Palm in their make-up. Not a 50/50 sub, but the closest. And you can get lard in the grocery. :)

I like using lard in my soaps, just seems to be easy to work with.