Does anyone have any experience with any "natural" emulsifiers in lotions/body butters? I'm trying to move to a more natural line. Currently I use between 9.2%-9.5% e-wax in my recipes, but have no idea what the equivalent is when using another emulsifier. I thought about using beeswax as an emulsifier, then I stumbled onto an article that states it's not an emulsifier.

Some of these I've read as being thickeners, but this is what one website said were "natural" emulsifiers:

Beeswax
Candelilla
Carnauba
Cetearyl alcohol
Cetearyl wheat bran glycosides
Cetearyl wheat straw glycosides
Decyl glucoside
Jojoba
Lecithin
Quince seed
Rice bran wax
Sucrose cocoate
Vegetable glycerin
Xanthan gum

How about RitaMulse (made by RitaCorp, marketed also as Natrazmulse and EcoMulse)?

It is EcoCert and works well in many things along side an appropriate co-emulsifier.

Beeswax is not an emulsifier. Many old formulas advise usingborax and beeswax to make a soap in situ. It's not great feeling on skin and will not be overly stable.

Guest OldGlory

I am really outside my comfort zone in this category, but I remember reading a while back that Turkey Red castor oil is an emulsifier. I don't know if there is an odor that comes with it or not. You can check it out at The Scent Works website.

Maybe some of our bath and body gurus know a bit about it.

I have been experimenting with body butters the last few months.  I don't use an emulsifier in mine and I haven't had problems with them separating.   I have butters and oils in mine and that's it. 

I do use e-wax in my sugar scrubs and it would be cool to have something more natural.  I should experiment.

I am really outside my comfort zone in this category, but I remember reading a while back that Turkey Red castor oil is an emulsifier. I don't know if there is an odor that comes with it or not. You can check it out at The Scent Works website.Maybe some of our bath and body gurus know a bit about it.

Turkey Red is sulfonated Castor oil. It is about the only oil that will disperse in water without an additional emulsifier. Problem with it is many people find it very irritatiing. I would not use it directly on my skin, but in a tub full of water, maybe.