Wax chunks

Joannec

Morning everyone,

I have seen over here that the wax chunks/loaves are becoming very popular.  I have tried to have a go at making some but my wax is not coming out soft. I can slice through it but I get flaking or crumbling.

I have tried so far:

70% container paraffin 30% eco soy pillar blend and a small bit of vaseline

60 % container paraffin 40% c3 and a tiny biy of vaseline

The last one came out better but when I slice it still flakes.  I can not get igi waxes here, my paraffin is sasol wax, it is not hard like the 4786 you can slice through it with a sharp knife but it does not have a sticky feel to it. The soy waxes I can get are the ecosoy and the c3 wax.  I might be able to get crisco , its not available in the shops but looks like I could get off amazon oh and I have coconut oil and coconut wax.

So any ideas on what I could blend ?

Thanks  :)

Hi Tracey :)

Thanks for reply. I think when I add the pb in it makes it too hard . The first blend had pb in and it was hard and flakey when I cut it even though I had more container wax in the blend . Have you ever heard of rose girls ? The people here go absolutely mad for them , they buy in huge quantities and have it shipped over . The rose girl chunks are soft and easily sliced , they don't flake. No one here seems bothered that they don't come out of the burners so I'm not worried about trying to make mine come out. I'm just not sure what I can add in to make the wax more softer?

Yes, soft & sticky,

I forgot I had tart blends made up:

1oz PB-1oz 4627-cuts perfectly, easily, no snap when ending cut, no flakes.

1oz 4625-1oz 4627 harder, not as easily cut, has the snap when ending cut, teeny pieces come off, only a couple but not a clean cut like PB/4627

1oz PB-1/2oz 4627, 1/2oz 4625- harder to cut, has the snap at end, couple teeny pieces as above

1oz 4625, 1/2oz 4627, 1/2oz 464-harder to cut, has snap, not a clean cut but still ok, not many little pieces

1oz PB, 1/2oz 4627, 1/2oz 464- cuts well, I like the PB/4627 better, no snap on this one either.

Now still testing for the longevity & throw so.........

• Like 1

Thanks Tracey . I will order some crisco off amazon :)

I have coconut oil here already so I might do a blend of paraffin container/pb and coconut oil . How much coconut oil should I start with? When I added in Vaseline I only added in 1%?

Wow, I didn't realize you all don't sell Crisco in the grocery stores. Anything similar you can try to buy there? I don't know what % to advise you on, but 1% doesn't sound like enough to do much. Try 5% to start with until you see what it does. Try 5% & 10% Coconut oil if you have at the house already.

Good idea , thanks Tracey .

For the moment I'm not not adding in any scent I just want to get the consistency of the wax right.

I shall try the 5% and 10% coconut oil perhaps I could also try to up the Vaseline as well.

Yep it is a total pain not being able to easily get things, I went into waitrose and tesco (big supermarkets) and asked for it and they just looked at me and said never heard of it!

Did you ask for vegetable shortening? Slap me if that's a stupid question! Woo Hoo, I foundeded it! That's not a typo!

Vegetable Shortening substitute

Dear Nigella Team, I am really looking forward to making the lovely scone recipe. However, I have not been able to find vegetable shortening in any grocery store. Can I use butter or vegetable oil as substitute? If so, how much? Thanks 

could you please tell me the british equivalent to vegetable shortning and baking soda .alismith

Posted by narrisca. Answered on 8th Jan 2011 at 12.00

From the nigella team:

Vegetable shortening is a white, solid fat made from vegetable oils. In the UK it is sold under the brand names Trex, Flora White or Cookeen. In the US Crisco is the best known and there is also an organic solid vegetable shortening made by Earth Balance. In Australia the best known brand is Copha.

Vegetable shortening gives the scones and also pastry a flaky texture which butter cannot replicate. It is usually used in combination with butter to give the best combination of flakiness and flavour. Vegetable oil is not s great substitute as it is too liquid and so cannot be rubbed or cut into the flour. Lard is the best substitute if you don't mind animal fats. If you can't get any of these then butter can be used but the texture of the scones will be slightly different.

Baking soda is known as bicarbonate of soda in the UK

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Thanks Tracey , I did ask for vegetable shortening but they still looked at me as if I was mad ! Lol

I'm sure I have seen the flora white and cookeen before so I will pop to the shops later today, thank you.

Thanks Tracey , I did ask for vegetable shortening but they still looked at me as if I was mad ! Lol

I'm sure I have seen the flora white and cookeen before so I will pop to the shops later today, thank you.

That's what I did (worked in a grocery) mainly when I worked. Same thing over here, the workers, if they don't care, do the same darn thing. They needed to go look or ask, so many items can't possibly know each one.

Good, I'm glad you don't have to wait & can pick up for yourself.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

• 5 weeks later...

I make a lot of chunk candles... I love them.  I played around a lot with different waxes and cutting and all of that... but found this to be the best answer.

https://cart.candlesupply.com/7-16-121-Cavity-Silicone-Chunk-Tray-Mold-pr-20519.html

I like it so much in fact that I am going to order another one.  I usually make palm wax pillars, but have also used the glass glow container wax with this mold and it works great.

• Like 1

I found a mold the same exact size for making chunks on ebay from mold making man. It's only $17. You might want to check him out. I tried to paste the link but can't get it to paste. Just go to ebay and type in cinnamon bun mold or something like that and it will pull his store up. I think he might have a website. I think it's www.moldmakingman.com but he's cheaper on ebay.