Storing Tarts in Zip Lock Bags

pixie

Is it my imagination or are the zip lock bags I store my tarts in sucking the fragrance out of them?  I've been storing tarts in gallon size zip lock bags and it seems that after a couple of months, the tarts are smelling more like soy wax then the fo that is in them.  I do keep the scents in their individual bags so their is no co-mingling of the scents.

Following the advice on this board, I use polypro bags.  I believe if you are using regular ziplock bags from the grocery, those are polyethylene, which tend to "suck" the scent out.  There is a lot of info in the archives about this subject, including where one can purchase polypro bags, as well as other containers to store tarts in.  I get my bags from GTBag.com,(ultra clear)  but I don't recall that they have gallon size.  I believe a friend of mine gets hers from uline.com .  Also, I make paraffin, not soy if that makes a difference. HTH!

Simply is correct. It is not your imagination!

Polypropylene bags or any container with the PP recycle number of 5 is what you want.

I keep a small box of 100 6" gusseted bags for storing my Melt Cakes before individually wrapping them to place in orders. I know that Ziploc large rectangle containers are also #5 and you can get those 3 in a package.

• Like 1

Karen, where do you get your Ziploc rectangle containers? Are they plastic containers like plastic shoe boxes that you use to store stuff in? I have a ton of plastic shoe boxes but was wondering if that would suck scent out too.

I also use plastic storage drawers from Wal-Mart. I hope those don't suck scent.

I have used these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-Fresh-Shield-Rectangle-Containers-Lids-2ct/14862645?sourceid=N/A&veh=cse&srccode=cii_100295175&cpncode=32-40992716

...and these shoeboxes at Target:

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-6-qt-1-5-gal-clear-storage-bin-white/-/A-13794902#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=sterilite

My cups, of course are in polypro already but I still store them by scent in polypro bags.

ETA: Oh, I meant to add that the rectangle Ziplocs are a bit smaller than the plastic shoeboxes. Not as tall.

Edited by justajesuschick
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...