Blending Ideas & Inspiration

I love going through the older posts from years back and finding inspiration from all of the blending ideas that others shared. I thought it might be fun to start a new thread to post all those great blends that you have created, either intentionally or by accident.

Here are a few ideas to start

Apple Pie & Pumpkin Ginger Streusel  

Cinnamon & Bayberry (love this around the holidays)

Cherry & Lime

Cranberry & Cinnamon

you get the idea.... 

Guest OldGlory

Have you seen the 'mixology' area at Yankme? Lots of idea there! I like the idea of adding ideas to the label... like on a chai tea clamshell, put 'mixes with pumpkin pie, vanilla bean, creme brulee'. I haven't actually tried these, just an example.

Have you seen the 'mixology' area at Yankme? Lots of idea there! I like the idea of adding ideas to the label... like on a chai tea clamshell, put 'mixes with pumpkin pie, vanilla bean, creme brulee'. I haven't actually tried these, just an example.

OldGlory, I am glad you reminded me of that. I actually posted a suggestion about that in a thread last year. I might have to find a mixology page again and take a gander.  

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/102903-fragrance-combo-thread/?hl=mixology#entry969124

While I really like the idea (and I like the creative names), but unfortunately you have to really know what their (Yank's) scents smell like to equate the blending ideas to FO's since their mixology page is comprised of blending their scents by name. 

Edited by megandgarr

I am thinking of blending cherry bomb, marshmallow, cake of some sort and cream cheese or cheesecake and call it cherries in the snow cake. I'm sure it's not original but it sounded good to me!                    

• Like 1

I do blend quite a few but I'd say that none of mine are super original!

The thing that has gotten me out of blending up 4 and 5 scents is scale. When I was making for myself, a "splash" of this or that was fine. Making to sell means that customers expect the same thing every time they order. Same wax blend, same exact blend or balance of scent. I cannot guess or tell them that I do not know what I blended.

I now strive for things I can blend in reasonable percentages. I LOVE the things I can blend 50/50. Makes the math easy when making bigger batches! I am NO good with math so doing things that are 10% of these 2 oils, 20% of these 2 oils and the remaining 40% another gets tiring when I am adding to an odd amount of wax! I have to write it all out before starting.

This morning I am melting a Pineapple with a strong Orange and it is delicious!! I find fruity scents very easy to blend. My Strawberry (that you suggested) gets blended with quite a few things. I will try it next with the Pineapple.

I also have found that a lot of things blend well with Toasted Marshmallow. Adds a sweetness that I like. I also like things spicy so add extra Cinnamon to many of my already spicy scents.

I have also gotten feedback from several of my customers that they appreciate the simplicity of my scents. I am told that they are very realistic and they have an appreciation that I am not blending so many in each melt that you cannot tell what it is. Although it does seem that online, Pink Noel Toasted Serendipity Zucchini Bread is all the rage!

• Like 1

I think you're right Karen. Keeping it simple is easier. I think I'm going to try to limit blending to three different scents. Right now I have a vendor's pink cookie dough melting and it's so good! It's just two oils. 

• 2 weeks later...