Help with finding a hard parasoy blend :)

TheSmellyLife

Hello wax addicts!  I am currently toying with the idea of making wax tarts for a few family members and friends.  I am in the market for a mostly paraffin parasoy blend, that throws very strong and has a clean finished look.  I am not enjoying wax that is softer to the touch, yet wanting to find a blend that is similar to the harness of paraffin :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so very much :)

TheSmellyLife

To get what I think you are describing, you may need to blend your own. The misnomer is that paraffin is hard and soy is soft. Truly, pillar and votive waxes are harder and container blend waxes are softer-paraffin or soy.

You may need to blend, as example, a pillar or votive paraffin with a container soy with as you suggest, the paraffin being the greater percentage. Or blend a preblended parasoy with a harder paraffin pillar or votive wax to get the consistency that you are after. The balance is to get the consistency that you are after while holding the throw and longevity.

Tell me if I misunderstood, but you are looking for a parasoy that is most paraffin but not too soft. In my experience, the 6006 is not too soft, but leaves something to be desired as far as HT goes (just my experience here, others may have better results.

6098 is a parasoy and not too hard either. As justajesuschick said, you may have to blend your own; many of us do. Good luck :-)

Hello wax addicts!  I am currently toying with the idea of making wax tarts for a few family members and friends.  I am in the market for a mostly paraffin parasoy blend, that throws very strong and has a clean finished look.  I am not enjoying wax that is softer to the touch, yet wanting to find a blend that is similar to the harness of paraffin :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so very much :)

TheSmellyLife

i would suggest blending IGI 6006 (parasoy) with either IGI 4794 (paraffin votive blend) or IGI 4625 (paraffin pillar blend).  Start with a 50/50 ratio and adjust a needed after testing.

Edited by IwantItgreen
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for your replies! I have been experimenting with just plain old paraffin blends recently. So far I am really enjoying the strength of the 4625/4627 blend but the strength is not lasting more than a few hours. Personally, I am fine with a strong throw for 5 hours. Not looking for days lol. Do you think a parasoy blend would be stronger than a pure paraffin blend? Thank you all so much for dealing with a new hobbiest :)

• 2 years later...
On 3/28/2014 at 8:01 PM, TheSmellyLife said:

Thank you so much for your replies! I have been experimenting with just plain old paraffin blends recently. So far I am really enjoying the strength of the 4625/4627 blend but the strength is not lasting more than a few hours. Personally, I am fine with a strong throw for 5 hours. Not looking for days lol. Do you think a parasoy blend would be stronger than a pure paraffin blend? Thank you all so much for dealing with a new hobbiest :)

I am having the same problem!! I use that blend as well and love it. Strong CT and HT, but doesn't last. I'm wondering if adding a small percentage of Soy would help with longevity. But I don't want to compromise the scent throw and create a longer cure time for my tarts. :-/ 

Have you tried blending with 4630 or 4633 instead of 4627? Personally, I think a lot of the time it's the FO more than the wax but I could defiantly be wrong. I use 4625 blended with one of the above and have had good results with some lasting for two or three days but it depends on the FO in my case. I like to use 4625 alone when I make molded tarts.