Hi and I have a very important question for the soapers, if I may ask.

godschild

Hi. I am new to this forum but I already find it awesome. I am on a VERY fixed income and I have to really stretch my pennies when buying anything. May I ask if any of you know the cheapest website online that I should go to buy some sodium lactate, benzoin powder, stearic acid, and sodium hydroxide? I have everything to make soap except those things. I live in a very small town and no stores carry it. I've called every town around here looking for it also. A one stop shop would be nice if possible. I know of some of the better advertised websites that sell these things but unfortunately, I can't afford their products right now. Do you know of a diamond in the rough that is affordable for someone like me? Please help if you can.

Hi and welcome.

The only thing from your list that you need to make soap is the sodium hydroxide. The others are not required to make a very nice soap.

Benzoin can be a skin sensitizer and is not often used in soap these days.

Sodium lactate can be a hardener, but a few extra days in the mold, depending on your soap recipe and technique, will eliminate the need for that.

Stearic acid is sometimes used to harden a soap that calls for very soft oils. More oils with naturally occuring stearic, like palm, tallow, lard, etc. will eliminate the need for an extra ingredient.

For local sodium hydroxide try hardware stores like Ace for instance, asking for Rooto brand or Roebic. Both are 100% lye/sodium hydroxide and make a very nice soap. Online sources ike AaaChemical, EssentialDepot, TheLyeGuy among others have lye for internet purchase.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I usually get my lye (sodium hydroxide) from either The Lye Guy and AAA Chemical. If you are on a fixed income, you can get most of your soap oils at the grocery store. Olive oil, coconut oil and vegetable (soybean) shortening make a great soap. Sunflower, peanut and corn oils can also be used in soap, but don't make as nice of a finished product in my opinion. Then there are the animal products if you want to go that route. Lard is cheap and can be found by the pail in most groceries.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...